That was disappointing.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Aug 15, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

I got the latest edition of the Beckett Basketball Pricing Guide, thinking maybe my collection would be worth something. I figured, with each card being nearly 20 years old, and having about 1000 of 'em, that I'd be looking at 5 figures. I remember when I got the edition back in the late 80s, they had cards from the late 70s priced at about $5 on average.
    Apparently, my memory is either distorted or they've dropped the appreciation rates significantly. Just to put it one way: a Michael Jordan card from the 1989 - 1990 Season is priced between $1.50 and $3.00. Most valuable one I saw in there, that I know I have, is a David Robinson rookie card for $10.00.
    So basically, I just spent $12 to find out that I wasted it.

2. B_Morning_Glory

B_Morning_Glory New Member

tell me all about it, i had a collection of nice cards few yrs, back when i first met my now hubby, we added them all together and saved the best ones out to start a better collection together, we later sold all of them [ both collections] and im glad i did back then as we got a good price out of them. that same collection now if i had it wouldnt bring us hardly $50.oo. now the book for the pricing is the only thing worth any cash you mite say. sign of the times i guess every things high priced untill we have it then its worth nothing.

3. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

It's due to the consumer spending troubles, and the recession.

A woman showed up with two Chinese Dog Figurines at the Antiques Road Show. The appraiser was so excited he could hardly speak. He told her that during the stock market boom, he could have gotten her over half a million for them. At the time of the show, it was $200k.

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Yeh, what the hell's up with that? Under the same series of cards, the complete 1993 - 1994 set was worth $50 more than the 1992 - 1993 set. Shouldn't they appreciate in value as time passes, due to decreased availability and changes in player careers? I mean shit, Larry Bird started coaching around the turn of the century, as I recall. His player cards from 1990 don't even bring in $5.
    I remember in that old Beckett Book I had, cards from the thirties were priced in the mid five figure range, and I think there were even a couple worth six figures. Now the cards from the forties are barely worth 4 figures, most of them only three.

Signs of the times suck severely.

5. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Going by memory, I thought my half of the collection would be enough to get me out of debt, or atleast cover everything aside from my larger student loan debt. Fuckin' economy tipped my cash cow.

Draft saved Draft deleted