Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Last edited:

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Worryingly I'm not in the slightest bit shocked that this has not only been given an Apple rating, but despite having made it to the media, is still available.

Mr Jobs however isn't to blame, as much as I'd love to blame him for it all... It's the uneducated followers who continue to line his pockets because they want something pretty that shows everyone else how much money they have to waste.

Anything to stay in the media is a good thing... each time he's mentioned, no matter what it happens to be about it all ends up being the same argument - Mac v Linux, and Mac will always win, Apple will continue to operate unchanged... Not because they are better, but because there are more people who don't know what they are talking about than those that do.

If the money keeps rolling in, why would you change?

(I went off-topic slightly... He pisses me off!)

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Mr Jobs however isn't to blame, as much as I'd love to blame him for it all... It's the uneducated followers who continue to line his pockets because they want something pretty that shows everyone else how much money they have to waste.

That sums up the American Dream(maybe other places as well). Spend, spend, spend usually going deep in debt and bankrupt along the way. Witness the lines when any new tech toy hits the market.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The app's been yanked.

Amazing! After more than 150,000 petition signatures from Change.org members and saturation media coverage, news outlets worldwide are reporting that Apple has pulled an iPhone application launched by Exodus International that claimed to help "cure" gay and lesbian people.

This is a huge, public victory against the dangerous myth that gay young people can and should be "turned straight" -- a falsehood that contributes to the plague of depression and suicide afflicting these kids and young adults. Our friends at Truth Wins Out, the organization that started the petition on Change.org, are absolutely thrilled.

Apple did the right thing because an incredible 151,125 Change.org members -- including you -- stood together to demand it. We spread the word on Facebook more than 55,000 times. And together we attracted the attention of media around the globe, including CNN, MSNBC, Fox, ABC, CBS, and hundreds of newspapers.

"Gay Cure" iPhone App. Has Finally Been Pulled by Apple - Global Cocktail - Gay Travel Blog - Passport Magazine

Thank you to all who responded.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Worryingly I'm not in the slightest bit shocked that this has not only been given an Apple rating, but despite having made it to the media, is still available.

Anything to stay in the media is a good thing... each time he's mentioned, no matter what it happens to be about it all ends up being the same argument - Mac v Linux, and Mac will always win, Apple will continue to operate unchanged... Not because they are better, but because there are more people who don't know what they are talking about than those that do.

I'm an avid follower of Apple and their products since the 80s and I'm far from uneducated. Which is not to say that there aren't people who buy their things just on the wow factor because it is that emphasis on presentation and style that helped them get notice with the first iMac G3 and the iPod. But for most average users, Macs are generally much easier to setup and maintain than a standard Linux box and when a person has deadlines to meet every second counts. Regardless of all of the pluses one could think of for moving to Linux, the mass majority of people that I know do not have the time, knowledge or patience to troubleshoot hardware & software problems thoroughly. That's why the Mac & PC platforms will continue to do better.

Besides, the app was removed in what seems to be a rather timely fashion. If they were really "evil", they would have ignored the complaints.

Last edited:

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'm an avid follower of Apple and their products since the 80s and I'm far from uneducated. Which is not to say that there aren't people who buy their things just on the wow factor because it is that emphasis on presentation and style that helped them get notice with the first iMac G3 and the iPod. But for most average users, Macs are generally much easier to setup and maintain than a standard Linux box and when a person has deadlines to meet every second counts. Regardless of all of the pluses one could think of for moving to Linux, the mass majority of people that I know do not have the time, knowledge or patience to troubleshoot hardware & software problems thoroughly. That's why the Mac & PC platforms will continue to do better.

Besides, the app was removed in what seems to be a rather timely fashion. If they were really "evil", they would have ignored the complaints.

I think you're taking my "uneducated" comment too literally...

Apple, or at the very least the developers and Mr Jobs are very well versed when it comes to taking the work of others, putting it in a pretty box and claiming it was all their doing... For people earning the money they are, you'd think they could afford to spare two moments to google "Credit where it's due"

I moved to Linux around two years ago now, and I fail to understand all this troubleshooting people keep telling me about... Everything I had works straight out the box (so to speak ofc, since they were already out of the actual boxes!) I've had no software issues what so ever either.

And yes, they are evil by my standards, which isn't to say they need to be by yours, we simply have different levels of behaviour we find acceptable within the IT world... Maybe evil is too strong, I'd back off to "aspiring to be evil" but only if I'm allowed to consider Microsoft properly evil!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Steve Jobs fully admits that they took everything being done at XEROX, which wasn't really into making PCs back in the late 70s. Apple has never claimed to have "invented" the general guided user interface most software, whether run on a Mac, a Liniux shell, or Microsoft PC. But they were the first to implement it in a big way so a user didn't need to be a programmer and type line and line after line of code just to initiate a simple application. They intentionally made their source code "closed." Microsoft (everyones "favorite" software company) that I used to work for, made their code/development software "open" so everyone could "do what each individual wanted to do."

Big deal. It might amuse some of you to know that back in the early 1980s we used Macs to create the end user manuals for Microsoft's Products because Microsoft did not have a stable (as in reliable) software we could use to make books. And it remained unstable as possible until Windoze 95. However, with the advent of Microsoft's OS 3.1 we had to use Adobe products that worked 95% of the time on Microsoft 3.1. It wasn't fun.

Say what you will. Love your Microsoft PC. Love your Apple. Love your flavor on Linux. But Microsoft is not known for designing the most elegant, user-friendly, and bug free software. They tend to rush to market and fix later. In my line of work I don't know anyone who is successfully making a living using Microsoft products that remotely "approximate" the same utility as the elegant and ominously seamless software developed at Adobe. Sure, you can create stuff with Photoshop on a PC, but try integrating HD photography stills with HD video on a MacBook Pro.

For the last 4 years I've been cranking out HD video that is impossible to duplicate on a PC, unless the PC is linked to a dedicated series of servers and HD screens all running an OS something on the level of PIXAR. And for the last 4 years I've had almost Zero problems (maybe 0.01 problems) cranking out stunning professional product with Final Cut Pro supported with the latest versions of the Adobe package that more than meets my needs. And everyone can use those same Adobe products, regardless of the key board/table toy you might own.

So, love your toys. Because if you're not making a substantial income from your personal computer and operating system of choice, that's just what you have -- a toy.

Last edited:

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
every major operating system is designed to meet the specific needs of a consumer.... some are microsoft, some are apple, and some are linux.... heck, even chrome is beginning to carve a niche.... i personally am a microsoft user because it's the most universally compatible operating system there is.... on a windows PC, i have the most software options, i can easily replace and upgrade peripherals without having to send my computer to a factory, and i don't have to be locked in to the same brand for everything i want to do.... mac users are generally in to graphics and video editing, and are also designed for people who want to start using their systems right out of the box with little to no customization.... they are also generally slaves to the apple brand, and own iphones, ipods and ipads along with their main desktop or laptop systems.... linux users are generally more for the business professional who gets mainly in to word processing, accounting or database management.... they are not much in to 'playing around', and just want to get their jobs done.... and chrome users just want to surf the net, watch videos and use social media to communicate with people....

no one system is better than the other; they all serve a specific purpose.... frankly, i don't really understand why there's such a war about it.... though i have to admit: steve jobs is an ass.... he's pompous, arrogant and greedy, and he preys on the insecurities of people who always want the latest and greatest gadget.... at the very least with microsoft, linux and chrome, the products are built to last and don't need to release new versions of their products every 12-18 months.... compare the total money spent by a microsoft user versus a mac user and there would be a VERY significant difference.... and at least to bill gates' credit, he donates a lot of money, computers and software to needy people and organizations.... steve jobs just sits in a hole until it's time for him to take the stage at some conference and read love letters he wrote to himself....

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The Gay cure app should never have been approved by Apple and is a black eye for them. If it was a mistake, they should have dropped ias soon as it was pointed out and apologized.

every major operating system is designed to meet the specific needs of a consumer.... some are microsoft, some are apple, and some are linux.... heck, even chrome is beginning to carve a niche.... i personally am a microsoft user because it's the most universally compatible operating system there is.... on a windows PC, i have the most software options, i can easily replace and upgrade peripherals without having to send my computer to a factory, and i don't have to be locked in to the same brand for everything i want to do.... mac users are generally in to graphics and video editing, and are also designed for people who want to start using their systems right out of the box with little to no customization.... they are also generally slaves to the apple brand, and own iphones, ipods and ipads along with their main desktop or laptop systems.... linux users are generally more for the business professional who gets mainly in to word processing, accounting or database management.... they are not much in to 'playing around', and just want to get their jobs done.... and chrome users just want to surf the net, watch videos and use social media to communicate with people....

no one system is better than the other; they all serve a specific purpose.... frankly, i don't really understand why there's such a war about it.... though i have to admit: steve jobs is an ass.... he's pompous, arrogant and greedy, and he preys on the insecurities of people who always want the latest and greatest gadget.... at the very least with microsoft, linux and chrome, the products are built to last and don't need to release new versions of their products every 12-18 months.... compare the total money spent by a microsoft user versus a mac user and there would be a VERY significant difference.... and at least to bill gates' credit, he donates a lot of money, computers and software to needy people and organizations.... steve jobs just sits in a hole until it's time for him to take the stage at some conference and read love letters he wrote to himself....
It's a bit ironic that you make the statement in bold above, and then in the next breath, go on a rant about the CEO, the company, and it's customers ... and have nothing negative to say about MS windows..

We use Microsoft at work because of most of the major design and engineering software we use is Windoze specific. Maxsurf, AutoCad, Rhinoceros, 3d Studio Max are all Windows specific. There are Mac alternatives, but everyone is using it and it is just easier to be on the same page. I was a Mac only user until '97 but had to give it up and join the herd.

Amiga was the best OS and had the most potential. To bad it was out marketed by MS/Apple.

I use Linux at home because it is just simpler and faster than the others. I have a Mac here, but only use it for a little side business I have doing database development on FileMaker. I really dislike the Mac filing system. Ever since OS X, it just stores stuff around seemingly at random and I can never find anything.

I use an iPad on when traveling and it is just great. No need to lug a laptop around anymore. Yea!! Autodesk even has an app for it and I can review and change and markup drawings that are emailed or put in the DropBox.

Different stroke for different folks. I'm glad there is a variety of systems.