The #2 share holder in Fox News' parent company is

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jp, Aug 24, 2010.

1. jp

jp
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Al-Waleed bin Talal. This man is a sponsor of the Islamic Center in lower Manhattan, and Fox News' stance is against the center being built. Are Fox viewers going to start a grass roots movement to force him out? If you're a Fox viewer, are you upset that they've failed to disclose their ties to this man?

Let's be thoughtful and civil in this thread please.

2. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

He's a smart man, any one can buy stock. he also seem to be quite decent considering all the awards he's received for his work helping the poor, disasters etc. You say he's a sponsor. How much money has he put up? I thought they hadn't raised any money yet?

3. DeepDish

DeepDish Member

Albums:
    True. Al-Waleed bin Talal has donated to a lot of good causes around the world, fighting hunger, poverty, etc. On education as well, for example he donated $500,000 to a scholarship fund set up by G.H.W. Bush.

Also the guy who is putting the community center together (Rauf) used to work with the G.W.Bush administration on outreach to moderate muslims. He worked alongside Condoleezza Rice, for example.

'Ground Zero Mosque' Iman was a Bush-Era Partner for Mideast Peace
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/08/ground_zero_mosque_imam_bush_partner_for_peace.php

So there are two things I don't get:

1). Why doesn't Al-Waleed bin Talal doesn't call up Murdoch and tell him to get Fox News to knock off the whole misinformation campaign? Apparently the two of them are friendly.

2). Why doesn't Bush come out and vouch for Rauf? A fair number of ex Bush admin people have come forward to condemn the distortion that is going on around this issue. Bush always did a pretty good job of distinguishing between the radical fringe kooks that attacked us and the majority of practicing muslims. So I wish he would speak up.

I know the Republican strategists have asked him to keep a low profile until after the 2010 election. He delayed the publication of his book for that reason. So maybe that is why he is not speaking out.

#3 DeepDish, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Comedy writers couldn't dream this stuff up even after having a plate of marijuana brownies and an absinthe smoothie. LOL!!!

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Or how will fox viewers react to this:
    Rupert Murdoch published Imam Rauf's book on Islam and America

The book closes with an appendix containing a fatwa issued by five Muslim clerics on September 27, 2001, at the request of the most senior Muslim chaplain in the American armed forces. Ending his book with a fatwa! Yes! Cunningly, it’s a “Fatwa Permitting U. S. Muslim Military Personnel to Participate in Afghanistan War Effort.”
    What’s Right with Islam, by the way, was published by HarperSanFrancisco, which last I looked is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Daily Kos: Murdoch published Imam Rauf's book on Islam and America

6. jp

jp
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think we are all on the same page here. I was hoping to hear from some people who have strong feelings against the Islamic Community Center. I'm interested to know whether or not the relationships between bin Talal and Fox News has caused pause in these people's feelings. I was surprised to find out about the connection and I'm not invested in the idea that Fox is telling the truth, I had assumed that b/c Fox is so partisan that ideology would permiate the rest of its business model too.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You're not going to hear from the opponents of the Islamic Community Center because this is a level of irony even they don't want to touch. Besides, all anyone of them could ever do is say that Al-Waleed bin Talal is one of the "good Muslims". You know, implying that most of them are really bad but this one is an exception to the rule because they give us money.

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL. The political and financial interests of the Islamic friends of the Bush family are not exactly famous for their compatibility with the interests of the average American.

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Imagine if Al-Waleed bin Talal had been found to be the second largest contributor to MSNBC (or ACORN, the ACLU, etc...). What would be the reaction then?

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Please don't take this personally, but you can't possibly be that naive.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

Faux News is in the infotainment business they pander to a certain segment of society for a profit. Rupert made his money with sleazy tabloids around the English speaking world and when he started his television news segment it is a natural extension of the tabloids.

12. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

1. the issuew isn't building the center it's the location. seeing as Fox is the only fair and balanced news station they don't pander to their stock holders they stick to the issues. fox is number one for that reason and being number one puts more buck in Rauf's pocket.

2. While bush may be close wuth him that doesn't mean he agrees with the location of the mosque.

When you liberals get your panties in a bunch you cry racsisim, religious intolerence, or blame George Bush as your platform instead of using common sense. Quite frankly it's gotten quite predictable and boring as will be demonstrated by the voters this fall.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Actually the real reason was to stir up more division with a phony controversy in hopes that the anger generated from the sheep will affect outcomes of primaries in November. Even Ron Paul agrees with that, and I don't say many kind things about him.

But don't let ulterior motives affect your "judgements".

Well you can't help folks who willingly embrace ignorance just for the sake of badmouthing liberals, can we? :rolleyes:

They have no competition when it comes to televised Conservative news.

It's not a mosque. Still smokin' that extreme conservacrack I see. :rolleyes:

And when your ilk gets angry and desperately need some votes, they resort to labeling Mexicans as the face of illegal immigration and drug problems, label Muslims as being the worst terrorists and Islam as the religious voice of doom, and other forms of brown people as being welfare leeches and un-American. Either that, or it's all about them gays and their equal rights again. You blame Clinton for the demise of the economy when you're reminded by the articulate, teleprompter reading negro that your "good ol' boy president" turned a surplus to a record deficit before leaving office. And when you're reminded about that, some of you will even blame Carter because Reagan is your real personal Jesus.

And let's not forget about that so-called unethical tanning bed tax. Liberals getting their panties in a bunch and crying racism? Yeah, you can ST*U about that. :rolleyes:

This fall, you'll get exactly what you want. A slew a conservative votes from angry white men who were duped by a dubious message. As for some of the Senate & House seats currently held by Democrats? Better hope and pray that all the women & minorities stay home.

#13 B_VinylBoy, Aug 24, 2010
  14. DeepDish

DeepDish Member

Albums:
    Hey Big_E: I appreciate you responding to my post. I'd like to take the time to give a serious response to some to the points you made.
    The location is an abandoned Burlington Coat Factory.
    If you do a little research and you will find Fox commentators had some good things to say about this project in the past. Laura Ingraham especially. Also, Glenn Beck appeared on television in 2006 with Rauf (who again worked side by side with Condoleezza Rice and others on middle east outreach and relations) and had a very pleasant discussion with him where they both denounce radical Islam and Beck was quite clear about how the twisted fanatics that attacked us on 9/11 are totally unrelated to the tenants of the Muslim religion.

Apparently the whole thing got started as a blog post on one of the CrackPot Conspiracy Blogs. At some point it seems that Republican strategists decided this was a good way to stir up the base for 2010, so Fox apparently shifted gears.
    Now you've lost me there - :confused: Probably 2/3's of my post was PRAISING George Bush for his handling of these issues when he was President.
    Honestly I don't think this community center is going to be much of an issue for voters.

As we get closer to Nov 2010 this non-issue will be dead.

People will want to hear the Republicans and Democrats plans for the economy and jobs, they aren't going to care much about overhyped fearmongering about a community center in an abandoned coat store.

Most people do not even think about an election until late September or October. The question in their minds is going to be jobs and the economy.

The other thing to remember is August is a really slow news month. Not much happening, most people are on vacation anyway.

So all the tv stations get "hyped up" over the dumbest things. Just to fill air time. Last year it was "Death Panels" and "Killing Grandma" which turned out to be a whole lot of nothing fearmongering too.

#14 DeepDish, Aug 24, 2010
  15. sargon20

Gold Member

16. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Park51 calls it a mosque.

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Taken directly from their website:
    While a mosque will be located in the planned final structure of Park51, it will be a distinct non-profit. Neither Park51 nor the mosque, which hasn’t been named yet, will tolerate any kind of illegal or un-American activity or rhetoric. The final size and location of the mosque have yet to be determined, but it will only represent a small portion of the final structure.

So to reiterate and provide a more accurate description: It is not a mosque in the sense that the building would only be used for worship. It is a community center that includes a mosque.

18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Bingo.

19. DevonTexas

DevonTexas Well-Known Member

Albums:
    FOX News and MSNBC (both on the opposite ends of the spectrum of viewpoints) need and feed off controversy like the GZ Mosque. Smart, rich Muslims know that as well and 'buy' into it. Simple business.

20. jp

jp
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The heart of my question is about Fox's failure to disclose that the man they accused of funding radical islamic groups is making a direct profit off of Fox News'/NewsCorp's revenue. Does that bother any Fox viewers? I think the truth is complicated, some people don't care because Fox News can do no wrong in their book, another possibility is that bin Talal may be moderate and he has been unfairly portrayed to shape a story's narrative. So, what do you think? Is it a problem for Fox viewer's that some of this man's income comes from this company?

Draft saved Draft deleted