The 50 Richest Members of Congress

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, goodness gracious, poor Rahm Emanuel's only $20,000 above middle class!

Roll Call said:
[FONT=verdana,arial, helvetica, geneva]The disclosure rules allow Members to report assets in broad categories, so there is no way to tell the difference between a $20 million investment and a $5 million investment. The top category on the Members’ forms is “over $50 million,” so it is impossible to accurately account for anything worth more than that — like a professional sports team, for example. There is also a gaping loophole for assets owned by the Members’ spouse or dependent children; anything worth more than $1 million in value can be reported as “over $1 million.” There is no way to tell whether that is $1.2 million or $1.2 billion.[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial, helvetica, geneva]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial, helvetica, geneva]The rules also don’t require reporting things of value that are not used to produce income — most notably any primary residence or other home that is not used for rentals. That loophole removes from most Members’ portfolios hundreds of thousands of dollars and in come cases millions of dollars worth of assets. Airplanes, fancy cars, antiques or other valuable items are not reported.
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial, helvetica, geneva]Given this wide berth here, it may simply be that three out of the four most open disclosers are Democrats.
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial, helvetica, geneva]In any case, it says a lot about how representative our democracy is.
[/FONT]

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It isn't how MUCh you have --- but what you DO with what you have! The "old" money Democrats (and Republicans) like the Kennedys and Rockefellers it seems have always been advocates for the "bottom" economic strata. You just don't hear much of that out of the Republican neuvo riche. It's why Congress from 1998-2006 did NOTHING to raise the minimum wage. "Why should we reward average Americans for their hard work???" "It's just LESS for us --- even though we have MORE than we could hope to spend in 5 lifetimes!" "I have 5,000 cows -- my neighbor has NONE --- sooooooo?" And then of course I can USE the system to increase and protect my wealth while we propose cutting the Medicare benefits of the lowest strata of Americans! And all the while professing our family values Christianity!! Huh!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It isn't how MUCh you have --- but what you DO with what you have! The "old" money Democrats (and Republicans) like the Kennedys and Rockefellers it seems have always been advocates for the "bottom" economic strata. You just don't hear much of that out of the Republican neuvo riche. It's why Congress from 1998-2006 did NOTHING to raise the minimum wage. "Why should we reward average Americans for their hard work???" "It's just LESS for us --- even though we have MORE than we could hope to spend in 5 lifetimes!" "I have 5,000 cows -- my neighbor has NONE --- sooooooo?" And then of course I can USE the system to increase and protect my wealth while we propose cutting the Medicare benefits of the lowest strata of Americans! And all the while professing our family values Christianity!! Huh!

Really? Did you get all that great theory from your graduate work at the London School of Economics?

Let me get this correct... Republicans take from the poor, while Democrats care for the poor. Ok. Somehow there was a bigoted remark on Christianity too.

Well done.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sarcasm aside, the point about the minimum wage is telling: No increase in the minimum wage occurred since 1997 until such time as Democrats were the majority party in both houses. The period 1997-2007 was the longest period in the entire history of the minimum wage for which there was no increase. (The second longest period was in the 1981-1990, during the Reagan-Bush years.)

The 2007 increase was introduced in Congress by George Miller, D-CA: All 233 House Democrats voted aye, while the Republican vote was 82-116 against raising the minimum wage, even after ten years. In the Senate, the Republican vote was 5-43 against, and since only 40 votes are necessary to prevent cloture, the increase was defeated until some compromise riders were added to the bill.

The last increase, passed in 1996, was not as controversial: this time, only 34 members of Congress voted against it: but all of them were Republicans.

The last increase before that passed in 1989: 45 members of Congress voted against it: 43 Republicans and two Democrats. (Incidentally: one of those two was George Miller, sponsor of the 2007 increase!)

So, while you're trying to snark at a claim that one party cares more for the poor than the other, I'm providing evidence that backs up Mensch's point.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sarcasm aside, the point about the minimum wage is telling: No increase in the minimum wage occurred since 1997 until such time as Democrats were the majority party in both houses. The period 1997-2007 was the longest period in the entire history of the minimum wage for which there was no increase. (The second longest period was in the 1981-1990, during the Reagan-Bush years.)

The 2007 increase was introduced in Congress by George Miller, D-CA: All 233 House Democrats voted aye, while the Republican vote was 82-116 against raising the minimum wage, even after ten years. In the Senate, the Republican vote was 5-43 against, and since only 40 votes are necessary to prevent cloture, the increase was defeated until some compromise riders were added to the bill.

The last increase, passed in 1996, was not as controversial: this time, only 34 members of Congress voted against it: but all of them were Republicans.

The last increase before that passed in 1989: 45 members of Congress voted against it: 43 Republicans and two Democrats. (Incidentally: one of those two was George Miller, sponsor of the 2007 increase!)

So, while you're trying to snark at a claim that one party cares more for the poor than the other, I'm providing evidence that backs up Mensch's point.

Please provide the demographics on minimum wage earners... a lot can be learned... besides it's easy to throw money at that demographic when illegals continue to pour in thanks to the left, and the most liberal Republican president of our time in Geo Bush.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this from the LA Times, which with the NY Times and Wash Post are the three most liberal (uhhhhhhhhhhhh unbiased, mainstream) newspapers on the continent.

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L.A.County has 10.2 million people)are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are mostlikely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L.A.are Spanish speaking.
10. In L.A.County 5.1 million people speak English,3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L.A.County. )

(All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare. Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration. 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this from the LA Times, which with the NY Times and Wash Post are the three most liberal (uhhhhhhhhhhhh unbiased, mainstream) newspapers on the continent.

1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County (L.A.County has 10.2 million people)are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.
2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.
3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.
4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.
5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally
6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.
7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are mostlikely illegal aliens from south of the border.
8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
9. 21 radio stations in L.A.are Spanish speaking.
10. In L.A.County 5.1 million people speak English,3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L.A.County. )

(All 10 of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare. Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration. 29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

And McCain is about as pro-immigration as Obama is.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Please provide the demographics on minimum wage earners... a lot can be learned.

You're moving the goalposts now. First, you were talking about "the poor", but now that I've shot you down, you're wanting to talk about the "demographics" of the poor.

I'll just add that I spent time in rural Shoshone County, Idaho, where one out of every six residents is below the poverty line, and which is hardly a Democratic mecca. Residents of Shoshone benefitted equally from the increase in the federal minimum wage.