the alpha male

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_theaussieone, Dec 3, 2011.

1. B_theaussieone

B_theaussieone New Member

when i think of alpha male i think of ceos, generals, presidents. But alot of my friends see alpha males as being guys with big muscles, big cocks, lots of women.

Now im kinda confused, alpha male status is based on power. In todays society the ceos, presidents, generals have the power, the buff guys are hired by them. like the alpha gorilla persuades his gang of teenage gorillas to serve him and help him reinforce his power.

so why are buff men/well hung men/players told by media and society that they are alpha males?? is it to pacify them? so they dont go after the top job?

Is the alpha male being seen as the buff/hung/player an ideology used to control men who are physically stronger from upsetting the power structure? Like this ideaology is so ingrained in society that people dont even realise they believe in it, or never question it?

2. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i hate itchy suits and starbucks.
    i am a beta male for life with my upper body workout and denim jeans.:smile:

3. seamonster

seamonster Member

in my view the characteristics of the Alpha Male depends on the setting - in the corporate world it might be a CEO, however in a different setting different characteristics will be required. A suit wont mean anything on the street. The common factor is perhaps determination to overcome and thrive. for me that drive and hunger defines the alpha male, regardless of setting :smile:

4. straightdave10

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm i just love salad , mint is nice, parsley is great especially when its in Tahbouleh....but my favorite is the irresistible Alfalfa Male....What?? Sorry, a bit dyslexic. cancel that.

5. jjsuperbird

jjsuperbird Member

Thanks for posting this question theaussieone.

I agree with Seamonster... though dyslexic straightdave10 did make me laugh...

I guess on a web site devoted to large penis (what is the plural of penis?) and physical endowments the perspective on what is an alpha male would tend to focus on the physical.

However, I believe the word 'alpha' means the first or primary one. So the primary or dominant male would be the dominant one if that field... whether it is politics, business, sport or military.

I have observed the academic world for some time and find it humourous to watch the strutting of alpha males in the academic world. In academia, to prove ones dominance, guys engage in a contest of endowment but not physical endowment. The proof of ones dominance in academia tends to focus on number if times your articles are cited by others or the number of students who want to be in your class or have you as their thesis advisor or the number of times you are asked to comment by the media or invited to present to other conferences.

Watching academics strut and compete you will hear little competitive exchanges about who has done more or is in greater demand. Things like ... "my number of publications is bigger than your number of publications". "The conferences I speak at are more prestigious than the conferences you speak at." "My international recognition on this subject is more wide reaching than your international recognition"

So I guess the alpha male can mean physical prowess, but it can also refer to the competitively dominant male in whatever field you are speaking about.

If you can measure it guys will compete about it... And the one with the most or the biggest is the alpha male.

So I think being the primary or alpha male depends on what is rewarded or valued in the context...

What we value or measure in terms of success tends not only depending on the context, but also changes over time. Someone told me that when most of western society worked outside -- on the farm or in physical labour or at sea -- the dark tanned skin was not seen as a sign of success or beauty. It was a sign that you worked at physical labour. Soft complexions and 'fair skin' was seen as a sign of wealth and prosperity. White make-up and powdered wigs showed you to be wealthy and not requiring to do physical labour.

Now that most people in western society work in offices or factories and don't have tanned weathered skin it is the opposite. The one with the tan is viewed as being successful because they obvious have time and money to lay about in the sun or play on a golf course rather than toil in an office or factory.

Different times value different things. Here in LPSG we value the physical endowment. On Wall Street they value money. In the academic world they value international citations.

Now the question is what is an alpha female? Is there such a thing?

#5 jjsuperbird, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  6. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    Being confident does not translate to being overpowering. Knowing what you want and like in a world of insecurity is attractive. Alpha does not mean you need take something by force, but by will and understanding.

If you are talking of the animal kingdom where cunning, strength and bluff are king then yes.

#6 vibrationzzz, Dec 3, 2011
  7. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

We came from a tribal and Feudal past in which physical prowess and aggressiveness were the primary signs of Alpha dominance.
    The aristocracy was not born of gentility, but of being the guys willing to cut other people in two if they did not go along with your being boss.

But since the advent of technological civilization, power and clout do not necessarily go to the biggest and strongest... but to the most cunning and politically savvy.

The only characteristic that has not changed in the true alpha mix is Ruthlessness.

Top 1% in this world are generally the most ruthless when it comes to doing whatever it take to come out on top. Its not that the super rich don't have friends... its just that those friend understand that they had better not get between that person and a big pile of cash.

However... evolution shaped us during the far longer period when physical intimidation was more important than economic intimidation.
    As a result... Most women still make the mistake of seeing physically confident or aggressive males as being "alpha"- when, in fact, such behavior seldom leads to any kind of success or security.

But over time, more intelligent or aware women have learned that that kind of self confidence has no real relation to ultimate success.
    Yet, That intellectual understanding often battles with the fact that their Bodies still respond strongly to the physical cues that dominated human evolution.

Women like bad boys because, at one time, the bad boy was the one most likely to rise, most likely to do the unpleasant things that had to be done to wrest power in a tribal community.

Today's real bad boys are the ruthless rich kids, or nerds like Bill Gates, who think nothing of destroying some people's lives in order to enhance their domination of a business, market, or political party.

but, at 18, what woman would have seen that Bill Gates was the kind of ruthless competitor that could, someday, get the Government to back down in its own anti-trust suit?

8. avg_joe

Gold Member

Me too. I prefer to be a beta male.

9. B_Nia88

B_Nia88 New Member

To me the alpha male is the one who is in control and dominates the room. I am so attracted to alpha men.

10. dolfette

Gold Member

to me and alpha male, much like an alpha dog, is the one who does NOT have to constantly yap and nip and bully in order to prove his standing. the yappers are wannabes.
    a true alpha projects a quiet confidence. no yapping required.

11. B_Nia88

B_Nia88 New Member

that is very true Dolfette. He knows when to calm a situation or when to be a dictator to take control of situation.

12. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Member

One aspect of being an alpha male is sexual prowess. Being on the football team can mean you are fit & girls want you, which boosts self confidence.

I've asked my psychologist about alpha male behavior, and its not something they think about, for some reason its not academically interesting. Type 'alpha male' into google scholar & you return scientific papers about chimpanzees & seals.
    alpha male - Google Scholar

The place you WILL find discussion about alpha male concepts is in pop psychology, with all the sites about picking up women. These sites have helped me, not with picking up women, but in studying human behaviour.

Edit: here's an article about alpha males from Harvard Business School http://www.prudencia.com/pdf/coaching_the_alpha_male.pdf

#12 ColonialBoy, Dec 3, 2011
  13. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    the alpha male is that guy that;

parks sideways , taking up more than one parking spot. or in a handicap zone, but has no handicap.

takes the two car length space between you and the car infront of you, then slams on the breaks to get you to back off his ass.

goes well beyond the firm handshake, and tries to break as many bones in your hand as possible.

gets into the 10 items or less lane at the market with 20 items.

fires the dedicated lifelong employee without benefits to hire a slacker for 1/4 the price.

becomes temporarily deaf when a woman says "NO!".

urban dictionary hits the alpha nail on the ever expanding head several times...

"A domineering and aggressive male. Instinctually forces his will upon other males and females to get his way through any means necessary, including violence. Unhibited and primitive."

"The alpha male is an act that is performed by males usually in their teens and twenties who act tough, are loud, and have to be the center of attention or they feel insecure. When a man is successful and in his thirties he no longer acts this way because he has grown up and realized that the entire alpha male act is phony. When was the last time you saw a rich, successful man try to pick a fight??? Never. The only guys that do this are the losers that go to bars to take their anger out because they are angry inside for going nowhere in life."

"Like a real dictator, some megalomaniac who thinks he has some special right to run the show. Has only as much power as people give him in their minds. You choose to obey him, he has power. You choose not to, he has nothing."

"Those who are born feeling that the world just "isn't right" and it's their job to make it right. Will do anything to gain control of people and bend them to their will. Forces ideologies on all people, friend and foe, domestic and foreign.
    Has no sense of reasoning except rationalization, which may you note is coming up with reasons after-the-fact. Completely and totally reactionary.
    World renowned for creating illth (in place of wealth) and convincing people there is really wealth.
    Usually identifiable by their ape-like complexion and ape-like actions. (They're a regressive force in evolution - things always flow both ways)
    Stereotypically, what every marine wants to be."

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    In areas where there is a great value in competitively asserting myself, I am a complete alpha. This most generally happens at work, and has since my early 20s. I don't just work harder: I work smarter, using my wits and an ability to charm (and occasionally seduce*) my way to the top.
    *By "seduce", I mean captivate emotionally and intellectually, not sexually

But if I have no real skin in the game, or if the situation is set up so as to not reward (and occasionally punish) such behavior as usurping someone else's long-held alpha dominance, I have no problem accepting a subordinate role. I don't consider it as a form of acquiescence so much as playing by the given rules and an acknowledgement of reality. This especially the case as I'm not especially physically prepossessing at 5'6/150 lbs.

There is, however, a huge gulf between being an alpha and being a bully. Alphas are respected because the lead by example of what's best in a situation. Bullies are feared because they'll stop at nothing to maintain control. True alphas have a passionate sense of greatness; true bullies just suck all the oxygen out of a room.

15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Hmmm... It requires a whole lot of imagination to think outside the "dominance/submission" rut.

16. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I, like you, think of an alpha male (or female I guess) as a ceo, general, president, leader, etc. and not the misconceptions that you mentioned. That's actually the reason why I chose my user name. The idea of "leading and not following". There's really not some grand underlying meaning to it.

As far as big muscles go, they just indicate physical power, but that doesn't necessarily make that person a leader (or mean they possess that kind of power). There are plenty of big muscle guys who don't have a big cock or get lots of women. Likewise, there are plenty of big cocked guys who don't have muscles or get lots of women and there are plenty of guys who get lots of women that don't have muscles or a big cock.

An alpha male could be buff, hung, or a player, but that certainly isn't what makes them an alpha male. Although, I do agree that is a common societal misconception.

==

I make the point a lot that people confuse true confidence for arrogance and vice versa. Well the same happens with alpha and beta males. Like dolfette mentioned: the yippy, overzealous beta male will get confused for being an alpha male, and the quiet, reserved, confident alpha male will get confused for being the beta male.

#16 AlphaMale, Dec 3, 2011
  17. B_duanculo

B_duanculo New Member

the idea of an "alpha male" is an illusion. to suggest that there is somebody who can come and "control a room" or take control of any situation is faulty. many men will not tolerate being told what to do or being ordered around by another male. only if that male has legitimate coercive power over others can he truly be in "control" eg. gangsters who run a block or neighborhood by having residents fear for their lives. otherwise, most "alpha" men are simply deluding themselves if they believe they are the be-all and end-all. there is always someone with more power than you, more money than you, more women than you, bigger muscles or a bigger cock than you. you can always be brought down to size by another male so in essence you can never truly be "top dog". just be content with the confidence you have that you are well-versed in whatever department and can hold your own and represent yourself well but don't dare ever think you are "the man" or "the shit" ... there is only ONE real "alpha male" in this universe and that is God (please leave it alone hardcore feminists)

so to tackle your question specifically, i believe these buff guys/players etc. delude themselves into thinking they are God's gift to women and hence develop what is called overconfidence even in areas where they are not well-versed. their lovers/partners feed this confidence and continue to inflate their ego. but truly hung guys are nothing close to alpha males. they have no real power whatsoever. guys in these high corporate jobs are closer to the ideology of an "alpha male" since they do have some legitimate power over others BUT they too also suffer from a delusion that because others are 'forced' to do what they say that they are in some way, all-powerful. but yet many of them are terrible fathers, don't spend enough time with their wives, knock up mistresses etc. ... they fall short in other areas. so on either end of the spectrum no guy is perfect enough to be considered an alpha. no one is. everyone has major faults ... EVERYONE. some just hide it better than others and that is usually what you see in an "alpha male" ... a man that hides his insecurities better than others

#17 B_duanculo, Dec 3, 2011
  18. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The "always bigger/better" argument is pretty subjective.

There are levels of money, cock size, etc. that are substantially high enough that even if someone had more money or a bigger cock it wouldn't be by much and therefore it would be irrelevant.

For example, if you had 100 billion dollars, sure that is someone out there with more money, but does it matter at that point?

If you have an 8-9 inch cock, sure there is potentially someone out there with a slightly larger cock, but at that size does it really matter?

Etc.

19. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    At least in my world, alpha status is a cerebral and emotional thing, not a physical thing, and certainly not a fiscal/materialistic thing. As I wrote above, alpha is much more about being elevated by respect rather than forcing a cowering into submission.

But maybe I'm too much the idealist :cool:

20. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Nope, not too idealistic imo... in fact, I totally agree with everything you said. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted