The "American Idols" Butcher The Beatles (Two weeks in a row, even!)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_lamdellboo, Mar 22, 2008.

1. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

I think Joel McHale (E!'s, The Soup) said it best when he quipped,

"Congratulations, Yoko Ono, assassins, cancer, and one-legged gold diggers: You're no longer the worst thing to happen to the Beatles."

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amen! They totally destroyed the Beatles the last two weeks. That should be a crime. I mean if you're going to do a cover of any Beatles song (with very few exceptions here), you should sing the song as it was originally sang, no tweaking it or anything like that.

3. tim36

tim36 Member

I always thought that the contestants chose the songs that best suited their vocal range, guess I was wrong, its painful to watch some sing off key on classic songs, such as the Beatles big hits.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

what i found even more distressing then the horrendous performance, was how totally unfamiliar with the Beatles songs many of them were.

that awful country girl had no clue about them, and that whiny little one didn't even bother to do the Beatles version of "We Can Work It Out", since he'd never heard it before, or any other Beatle songs, and instead did the Stevie Wonder version (which is a great version though) and on top of that forgot all the words...

5. Magnum Excel

Magnum Excel New Member

not EVERY performance was a disaster. The young kid, David Archuleta did a good job with "Imagine". And that Mother Teresa re-incarnate, Brooke White did a fairly decent job with "Let It Be"

6. sizablenyc

sizablenyc New Member

Albums:
    What really worries me is that a hunk like Rockythebu11, only has a few shirtless pix and no cock pix :( posted!

7. Flashy

Gold Member

aren't those the two who butchered "we can work it out" and "Here Comes The Sun" respectively? :wink:

8. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

I'll admit, I was shocked to be mildly impressed by the young kid's rendition of "Imagine". To me, it was a little fake, but the kid's voice was pretty incredible.

When he forgot the lyrics, however, a week or so later... it was just unforgivable. Forgetting The Bee-gees? Ok. But The Beatles!?! Shameful.

9. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Duh, none of them were born until 10+ years after the Beatles broke up (OK, maybe 9 years for Michael Johns). Hell, even I had a tough time recognizing a few of the songs.

IMO, two weeks of McCartney/Lennon was one week too many and a few of the song choices were so-so. Honestly, the group number (which I normally hate) they did for Wednesday's show encompassed some of the best Beatles tunes ever.

10. Flashy

Gold Member

so what? I was born two years after the Beatles broke up and knew every one of the songs...not to mention so many great ones were left out.

I was born 50 years after Robert Johnson died, but i still know his stuff...

age is not an excuse for ignorance of quality music, especially music that fundamentally changed the nature of culture and all to come.

It's one thing not knowing alot about say Herman's Hermits...but the era of modern music from 1960 on begins with the Beatles

It is like loving paintings, but not having a clue about the Impressionists and never seeing their work.

11. JustAsking

Gold Member

I have to agree. That first Beetle's night, those two did great. They sang it well, and they were both very endearing. And yes, Brooke is adorable. You almost want to put a pie in her face, but she is self-deprecating enough to redeem herself. I think she is just a sweet, pretty, talented girl and what you see is what you get.

But then, I am easily impressed by young, thin, blonde, intelligent girls. Its a thing with me.

12. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

I feel the exact same way. And I was born FAR after they broke up. :rolleyes:

13. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

ACK!! :frown1:

*Beatles

14. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    In case you hadn't noticed, in the final analysis AI is a fishing expedition for the next big pop star and those who stand to profit from it could give a rat's ass if the contestants are steeped in musical history. :rolleyes:

15. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

Fair enough. But if that's true, why try to touch that sort of music at all?

I think they should have stuck with Simon and Garfunkel & Co., personally.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

and in case you hadn't noticed, my contention was not about the contestants and their expedition to become pop stars, it was my contention that ANYONE, ANYONE, interested in a career in music, willing to get up on the stage, willing to sing their heart out, who does not know anything about the most influential and important band in the history of music, is not in fact someone who is interested in music.

i do not care how silly the show is or who stands to profit...if you want to be a musician or a singer, and you know next to nothing about the Beatles, you should instead be a mechanic or something, because you are truly not interested in music.

Nobody is asking them to be "steeped in music history"...we are not asking them to recount, in essay form, the development of the Delta Blues into what would later become rock music...we are not asking them to discuss the evolution of classical music into more contemporary forms...
    fact is, they are SUPPOSED to be singing these songs in order to win said fishing expedition, it might help them to familiarize themselves with the greatest popular music ever made.

so don't be snitty.

17. naughty

Gold Member

It was sad. I kept thinking to myself that they were focussing more on stylization than on interpretation. It reminded me of someone who is not singing in his or her native language and has not bothered to translate or understand the meaning behind what they are singing. How can you interpret something fully outside its context?

18. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not being "snitty", I just happen to think you're harboring some rather hyperbolic expectations for contestants in the biggest popularity contest to ever hit the planet. It is, after all, the underlying context of the thread. :smile:

19. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

How do you mean?

20. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    i.e., we're talking about American Idol here... hardly a "gold standard" by which to judge would-be artists. From the six "top-tens", it has thus far only produced three household names. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted