The "American Idols" Butcher The Beatles (Two weeks in a row, even!)

B_lamdellboo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i.e., we're talking about American Idol here... hardly a "gold standard" by which to judge would-be artists. From the six "top-tens", it has thus far only produced three household names. :wink:

True. And that's precisely why I don't think they should be emulating or even imitating The Beatles. :tongue:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not being "snitty", I just happen to think you're harboring some rather hyperbolic expectations for contestants in the biggest popularity contest to ever hit the planet. It is, after all, the underlying context of the thread. :smile:

it is in fact not at all the context...my point, which you took exception to, was that nobody, no matter the competition or context, who claims to be a fan of music and wants to be a singer, can possibly be so ignorant of the most influential band in the history of music.

It is hardly hyperbolic to expect aspiring musicians or pop stars, no matter how ridiculous the show, to know about the Beatles.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It was sad. I kept thinking to myself that they were focussing more on stylization than on interpretation. It reminded me of someone who is not singing in his or her native language and has not bothered to translate or understand the meaning behind what they are singing. How can you interpret something fully outside its context?
Yes, I feel the same way. It seems to me that Simon Cowell is pretty attuned to that notion. He reacts well to those who seem connected to the song, vs those who don't, even if the performance was not as great.

The kid's Imagine, for example, was a beautiful interpretation. Whereas the little Asian girl, who has a good voice and pretty good technique, seems so affected and corny when she performs. She has that "second language" thing that you were referring to. As if she can sing well, but doesn't understand the words. So he doesn't go for her.

He has said similar things to others who give a good technical performance only. Those are the ones he calls forgettable.

Sorry everyone, I am an unabashed fan of American Idol. What can I say?

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just stumbled upon this thread and bummed I missed out on the fun. Great points across the board Flashy & Rocky. :smile:

A factor to consider wrt flubbing lyrics during Idol performances: the contestants have 6 days to choose a song, work out the arrangement with the band to cut it down to 90 seconds (at this stage), and practice it. If you can't nail lyrics after that you have no business pursing a career as a singer, regardless of your familiarity with the song, group or genre.

David A's rendition of "Imagine" (which I was impressed with) was before the Lennon/McCartney/Beatles weeks, btw. At the time he didn't know he'd have to do 2 more.

Of the 23 individual Beatles or Beatles-related performances we saw, maybe 5 were good, most notably Brooke's "Let It Be," David Cook's "Eleanor Rigby" (which would have been more impressive if his arrangement was original) and Carly's "Come Together." The rest were embarrassing.

As rough as the Beatles weeks were, I cringed when I heard Andrew Lloyd Webber is a guest mentor this season. :eek: Instead of tedious performances of awesome songs we'll get tedious performances of tedious songs.

{hotbtminla already dreading David Archuletta's rendition of "Memory"}

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
and in case you hadn't noticed, my contention was not about the contestants and their expedition to become pop stars, it was my contention that ANYONE, ANYONE, interested in a career in music, willing to get up on the stage, willing to sing their heart out, who does not know anything about the most influential and important band in the history of music, is not in fact someone who is interested in music.

i do not care how silly the show is or who stands to profit...if you want to be a musician or a singer, and you know next to nothing about the Beatles, you should instead be a mechanic or something, because you are truly not interested in music.

Nobody is asking them to be "steeped in music history"...we are not asking them to recount, in essay form, the development of the Delta Blues into what would later become rock music...we are not asking them to discuss the evolution of classical music into more contemporary forms...
fact is, they are SUPPOSED to be singing these songs in order to win said fishing expedition, it might help them to familiarize themselves with the greatest popular music ever made.

so don't be snitty.

You nailed it, bro. My thoughts exactly. Well said!

Kev

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
Some general AI thoughts:

* I don't get Brooke White at all. Can she actually hold a note? What am I missing? This isn't a spoken word competition.
* This season is definitely showing that going first is a real curse. Almost a guaranteed bottom 3.
* I think Syesha has actually probably been the most consistently competent singer, but her sense of entitlement really turns me off. Her team did some great work this past week trying to soften her image, but beneath that "earnest" facade lurks the heart of a mercenary.
* It surprises me just how clueless this bunch is about music history. Don't know Beatles songs (?), so choose one by the cutest title (??). (BTW, "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", though Lennon/McCartney, was actually a hit for the Silkie, yes?)
* It also surprises me that a few of the contestants don't know their strengths. Ramiele, you need to sing powerful ballads with big notes at the end. You did that very well the first week, and you've been off the rails since then. Michael Johns, you can phrase better than practically any of this bunch, plus you can hit big notes -- please do so!
* The two contestants who DO know their strengths are/were David Cook and, oh well, Amanda Overmyer. Amanda is never going to outsing someone like Carly, but she can be a more effective vocalist. (Still wishing Amanda had gotten permission for, and done, "Helter Skelter". Perhaps not possible due to Manson overtones, though U2 did cover it.)
* If there was any sense of fairness to this competition, David Archuleta would've been gone after "We Can Work It Out".
* Carly's voice is technically good but just doesn't grab me in the least emotionally. I thought her "Blackbird" was pretty good, but she makes the strangest shape with her mouth when she hits her big notes -- looks like a ferret or something.
* Love love LOVE Chikezie, not only for being musically adventurous and a pretty decent singer, but also for his playful cheekiness with Simon. Hope he keeps up the good work.
* After the world is destroyed by nuclear strikes and nuclear responses, when all human infrastructure is glowing rubble and windborne plastic bags, two living creatures will emerge from the wreckage: cockroaches and Kristy Lee Cook.

Kev

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
it is in fact not at all the context...my point, which you took exception to, was that nobody, no matter the competition or context, who claims to be a fan of music and wants to be a singer, can possibly be so ignorant of the most influential band in the history of music.
While I'm actually in agreement with you on this in general, my point (once again) is that within the context of AI there's little (if any) emphasis placed on it's importance. Right or wrong it's of no real surprise to me given the objective of the show (i.e., find a pop star who can make them a ton of money). IWO, it's American Idol, what can one reasonably expect?

Odds are that having a Beatles theme two weeks running had more to do with the producer's elation over having finally gained the rights to songbook (and/or having to pay a fortune for those rights) rather than being some sort of "challenge" for the contestants. There's certainly been far more criticism leveled in this thread with regard to the contestant's grasp of the material than by the three judges combined (who are purportedly industry "experts").

As rough as the Beatles weeks were, I cringed when I heard Andrew Lloyd Webber is a guest mentor this season. :eek: Instead of tedious performances of awesome songs we'll get tedious performances of tedious songs.
I was really hoping I heard that wrong. I'm a bit fearful of Neil Diamond week as well.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Brooke White scares the shit out of me. Isn't she the one who said she's never seen an R-rated movie?

I thought the video of Elliott and Fantasia in Africa was cool. At least those fuckin' producers are using their platform to do something worthwhile for someone besides themselves.

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm lucky that I missed most of the last 2 weeks. I agree that they totally butchered them! :frown1: And I've been saying for years how nice it would be if they did Beatles songs!

Sugar

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Brooke White scares the shit out of me. Isn't she the one who said she's never seen an R-rated movie?

Brooke is a bit weird. I like her, but she's GOT to start singing something other that happy go-lucky songs. It's beginning to get annoying.

Kevbo, I'm with you - I've liked Chickezie from the start. But I also like David A.

In the end it doesn't matter - I've disagreeded with most of the winners. Oh well, it's just about the only good thing on TV anymore.

Sugar :rolleyes: