The "American Idols" Butcher The Beatles (Two weeks in a row, even!)

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was a complete massacre of the Beatles catalogue, and I am not a Beatles fan by any means. I could not even finish watching the rest of the show last week, it was so horrible.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
When the phrase "butcher the Beatles" is used, does that mean "doesn't perform it exactly as the Beatles did"? If that's what it means, well, that's the whole point of doing a cover - a different interpretation. If each performer made their performance stylistically identical to the original, what's the point? Might as well just listen to a recording of the original.
Excellent questions for those who were apoplectic over the quality of the performances. What specifically did they do to "butcher" the songs? IMO, off key, "pitchiness", or even a modified arrangement that falls flat doesn't constitute ignorance of the material nor a lack of homage paid to The Beatles' influence.

Are they doing Beatles again tonight???!
I sure hope not! :eek:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Are they doing Beatles again tonight???!

Tonight is songs from the year they were born.

1979 - Michael
1983 - David Cook
1984 - Brooke, Carly, Kristy Lee
1986 - Chikezie
1987 - Syesha
1988 - Jason, Ramiele
1991 - David Archuletta

B_lamdellboo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's amusing to see some of these responses.

When the phrase "butcher the Beatles" is used, does that mean "doesn't perform it exactly as the Beatles did"? If that's what it means, well, that's the whole point of doing a cover - a different interpretation. If each performer made their performance stylistically identical to the original, what's the point? Might as well just listen to a recording of the original.

Personally, I was referring to the Idols' forgetting the lyrics, singing poorly, and taking "creative license" with the songs, only to mess them up.

Very few covers have ever done the originals justice, in my opinion. Most of the songs in the musical movie, Across the Universe were refreshing and pleasant to hear, and I really enjoyed how the "Love" album was arranged.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally, I was referring to the Idols' forgetting the lyrics, singing poorly, and taking "creative license" with the songs, only to mess them up.
Of course, forgetting the lyrics is unforgivable. It displays an abject lack of professionalism.

But I don't watch AI, so I can't really comment on the other criteria. Almost every time I've watched, (or even seen the incessant trailers that Fox shows) I thought they all sang poorly, for the reasons I outlined in a previous post.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Very few covers have ever done the originals justice, in my opinion. ...
I figure that's true for most everyone. I think we set in our minds how a song should generally sound and we'll allow some variation but not a lot. Some covers are truly better, though.

Here's a different experience: I like Billy Idol's cover of "To Be a Lover". The original was done in the 1950s and it was slower and softer. In the late 90s [maybe later] I heard the original for the first time: didn't like it! Simply didn't like it! I guess I have Billy Idol's version set in my mind.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that two weeks of the Beetles was too much (even if it was well received the first week and even if Michael needs the money/collateral).

It could be worse.....doing Michael Jackson. Songs I mean. But on second thought doing him would be awful! :eek:

To the contrary, David Cook's version of Billie Jean was kick-ass.

As was his version of Hello by Lionel Richie.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^^He didn't give propper credit for those.

Chris Cornell originally did that version of Billie Jean

and

Incubus did the version of Hello.

He's totally able to pull them off but is a bit of a douche for not citing his references.

B_lamdellboo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I figure that's true for most everyone. I think we set in our minds how a song should generally sound and we'll allow some variation but not a lot. Some covers are truly better, though.

Here's a different experience: I like Billy Idol's cover of "To Be a Lover". The original was done in the 1950s and it was slower and softer. In the late 90s [maybe later] I heard the original for the first time: didn't like it! Simply didn't like it! I guess I have Billy Idol's version set in my mind.

Well Billy Idol is just bad ass, anyway. :tongue:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

and

He's totally able to pull them off but is a bit of a douche for not citing his references.

Correct. None of the performances David Cook has "made his own" so far have been "his own" (his Eleanor Rigby was copied from Doxology). I would be impressed with him if proved he could come up with an strikingly original arrangement of a song that both suits his style and re-imagines the material, rather than wisely identifying someone else's inspired idea.

It makes me smirk every time one of the judges (all 3 of them have done this at one time or another) gives him accolades for originality and risk-taking.

Say what you will about Blake Lewis, but the thing that impressed me from the get-go was his truly gifted talent for transforming a song into something unique and distinctly Blakian. It didn't always work of course, but more times than not it did, and even when it didn't I still gave him credit for trying.

basketbulge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

and

That's not true. When Ryan introduced him he said David would be singing Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

and

Maybe the judges didn't realize it? I remember when Daughtry covered a rock version of Stevie Wonder and the judges were all over it as a great choice of song as it "fit him."

Correct. None of the performances David Cook has "made his own" so far have been "his own" (his Eleanor Rigby was copied from Doxology). I would be impressed with him if proved he could come up with an strikingly original arrangement of a song that both suits his style and re-imagines the material, rather than wisely identifying someone else's inspired idea.

It makes me smirk every time one of the judges (all 3 of them have done this at one time or another) gives him accolades for originality and risk-taking.

Say what you will about Blake Lewis, but the thing that impressed me from the get-go was his truly gifted talent for transforming a song into something unique and distinctly Blakian. It didn't always work of course, but more times than not it did, and even when it didn't I still gave him credit for trying.

I really did not like Blake, although I thought his version of Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name was exceptional. Sadly, his debut album rarely sounds like what he showed himself to be as a performer on the show. Overall, I thought week after week he came off like a Justin Timberlake impostor (and JT and Usher are both very derivative of Michael Jackson and Prince, to varying degrees).

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's not true. When Ryan introduced him he said David would be singing Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean.

Oh? I didn't hear that over the screaming. Obviously neither did the judges.

Particularly, what the hell was Paula on? I usually don't notice her randomness, but last night was too blatant to not realize.

Also, the judges (Simon and Randy) play this show like a chess game. Since they can't truly openly say who they like and who they don't like, they give disparaging feedback and magnify flaws that were otherwise unnoticeable to people who don't have deep understanding of the techniques of singing (which is most of the show's audience.)

When I hear people who have no idea about what it takes to master singing say things like, "She was too pitchy and her vibrato threw off her tone in the end," I know that they've successfully molded people's minds to vote for the judges choice instead of the people who would be best suited for the win.

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
Ryan should introduce then as the two judges Simon and Randy, and the cheerleader Paula. Of course he isn't going to do that. I wonder if Ryan even realises Paula does very little actual judging, as he seems to be heavily coated with PC himself, though not as heavily as she is. Her randomness, along with her very predictable PC words, makes for a rather boring speech from her over and over.

I'm not good with names - my favorite singer of the bunch is the Asian chick. A few weeks back she sang a song I thought was the best singing performance of the season but they said it was "boring". I think she has a great voice but seems to have not done so great in a few songs. She was under the weather last night so perhaps that can be used as an excuse for last night.

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
Well, Chikezie's gone. I'm a sad Kevbo. I liked that guy. Of course, I could've shown my support by redialing him all night long. Which I didn't do.

Probably the one who deserved to go home most was (hate to say this) Ramiele. She had a great week her first week (Dusty Springfield) and hasn't been good since. And I really like her, but she is just clueless about her strengths.

Jason Castro sounds like he is quite possibly colossally dumb.

David Cook is the one to beat right now. I think Michael Johns actually could make a run at him. Archuleta will be in there, too. I'm not convinced we will have a woman in the top 4.

A quick word about originality: David Cook is catching some heat because some of his versions can be traced to other bands. If he did indeed base his performance on these versions, then he should make the citations. But I don't think he should be otherwise beat up about it. Most of the performances we see on AI are based on the original artists, often to the (mismatched) contestants' detriment. I don't know for sure just how big the pool is each week for the contestants to choose from (for the Beatles, it was only 25 songs for the first week), but the impression I get is that the contestants have a zillion restrictions on their song choices. We should be delighted whenever they're able to do anything interesting with a song selection in the abbreviated time they have.

Watching some of David Cook's performances, I've figured out why I keep watching AI: for when the contestant starts a song well or uniquely, the audience recognizes that it's gonna be great, and the contestant finishes off to a swelling roar of approving cheers. Very exciting -- and not the same as just a regular concert! The reason is because the competitive nature lends the "he's fighting for his life out there -- and nailing it!" vibe to the whole experience. One of the better examples from last year is Jordin Sparks on "Broken Wing": YouTube - Jordin Sparks - Broken Wing. And practically any of David Cook's recent performances would qualify as well.

Kevbo

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Kevbo - I'm with you. I'm sad that Chikezie is gone. He wasn't the best last night, but he's certainly better than Jason Castro (and his attitude).

I loved David Cook's version of "Billie Jean". I hadn't heard that he's been taking heat from adopting other band's versions of songs. That being said, I thought his interpretation was better than the original for sure!

Cheers - Sugar

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Particularly, what the hell was Paula on? I usually don't notice her randomness, but last night was too blatant to not realize.

I quite agree. Paula has really been useless this season. I mean, she's always been overly positive and tries to give constructive feedback, but she's been a bit off her rocker lately. Personally, I usually agree with Simon (not his rudness but with his view of the performance).

As to what she's on :confused: Who knows.

Sugar

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
Kevbo - I'm with you. I'm sad that Chikezie is gone. He wasn't the best last night, but he's certainly better than Jason Castro (and his attitude).

I loved David Cook's version of "Billie Jean". I hadn't heard that he's been taking heat from adopting other band's versions of songs. That being said, I thought his interpretation was better than the original for sure!

Cheers - Sugar

Thanks for the kind words, and also thanks for the kind boob pic. Tasty! :smile:

Kev