The Anti-LOST thread

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who else thinks that the hype around the TV series Lost is getting too much?

I know that my opinion on it is well different from the majority's, but I have one thought about this series that sums it up for me: It reminds me of a movie that's dragging on for too much. Plus, I don't think it's necessarily a sign of intelligence and arcane wit to compose a series of present storytelling, flash backs, and forward looks; if overworked, these techniques are confusing and avoid a clear course of things.

I have tried in earnest to worm my way into it several times, but I have never succeeded. Okay, probably the problem is that getting into a series at season 4 and 5 out of 7 is an endeavour bound to fail, but so far, two or maybe three episodes of a series have been sufficient to put me on a level which enabled me to understand the following episodes. Not so with Lost. Four episodes later, I was still defibering story threads, sorting persons and trying to get an image.

End of rant. Probably I should pick up on afternoon shows. One life to live could be good for beginners, right?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Who else thinks that the hype around the TV series Lost is getting too much?

Me. I'd be happy if LOST well...got, lost.:cool:

Clearly we are either too discriminating, or lacking in imagination. I know my imagination is just fine, and from your posts I'd conclude the same about you.:biggrin1:

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We went to Blockbuster and rented the whole first seaon of Lost......and our whole family got addicted to it. (This was a couple of years ago)

So far we have the whole collection. (Except for the new ones coming out) It is so much better to watch Lost without all the comercials.

Anyways, I would just reccomend for you to go rent all the prior episodes.....sit down and watch them at your leisure and then tell us if you are hooked or not.

The show may not make a lot of sense all the time and I may miss stuff.....because there is always a lot of stuff going on.......but I don't see how anyone could start watching the series right now and have a clue as to what these people have been through......or why we like who (which particular character we relate too).

It is a lot like the show Desperate Housewifes. Since I haven't seen that show since the begining and I don't know who anyone is......or what the plot is......it doesn't catch my attention. I need to go rent all the prior episodes so I will know what is going on too.

What I like about Lost is all the characters.

Anyways this is just my opinion. I don't watch much t.v. these days......I am usually here on LPSG any spare moment I have.

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't normally watch television, but I did watch part of Lost season 1 on dvd. It was ok I guess, but not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe one of these days I'll watch the rest of it.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the problem a lot of people run into with LOST is that they watch it purely for entertainment face value, like you would HOUSE or NIP/TUCK or 24, or any other show really. You can't just sit down with LOST (especially multiple seasons into it) and expect to understand everything.

Does anyone here know where they are? In every episode, there are hidden clues as to where they are and what the fuck is going on. Sometimes you have to watch an episode twice to get it all. They don't just come and and give you information, which I think frustrates a lot of viewers; but its there. Sometimes the clue comes in the form of a song playing on the radio in a car in the background. Sometimes it comes in a short, quick comment by someone regarding how the light scatters on the island.

Don't just watch it for the story at face value, there is a lot more depth to it. And if you really try and figure out/follow all the clues you will indeed find yourself lost, but that is the fun in it. I have stated my hypothesis in the other LOST thread, but it is fun watching every week for information that would give further support of it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are so right! I have tried getting into Heroes and 24 mid season and couldn't do it. Even after seeing a re-run of the pilot episode of Heroes I was not confused; but uninterested. I didn't care about what was happening to those people and why.:rolleyes: I guess some shows just don't appeal to everybody. :cool:

Also even though I always watch LOST, I also TiVO it, because I know there is something important I will miss so I go back and watch it again (FF through the commercials) usually on the weekend. I do the same thing with Grey's Anatomy and CSI NY. :wink:

I think the problem a lot of people run into with LOST is that they watch it purely for entertainment face value, like you would HOUSE or NIP/TUCK or 24, or any other show really. You can't just sit down with LOST (especially multiple seasons into it) and expect to understand everything.

Does anyone here know where they are? In every episode, there are hidden clues as to where they are and what the fuck is going on. Sometimes you have to watch an episode twice to get it all. They don't just come and and give you information, which I think frustrates a lot of viewers; but its there. Sometimes the clue comes in the form of a song playing on the radio in a car in the background. Sometimes it comes in a short, quick comment by someone regarding how the light scatters on the island.

Don't just watch it for the story at face value, there is a lot more depth to it. And if you really try and figure out/follow all the clues you will indeed find yourself lost, but that is the fun in it. I have stated my hypothesis in the other LOST thread, but it is fun watching every week for information that would give further support of it.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree with you Claire. I don't get the hype and when I have tried to watch the show, it fell flat.

Now the same could be said of my three favorite shows.

The Sopranos, Rome, and Six Feet Under.

Rome and The Sopranos I watched from day one. Six Feet Under I came in midway, but thanks to OnDemand, I caught up and the show made sense.

Lost just well, lost me. I even tried to catch up by watching the DVDs (my 15 year old's girlgfriend has them on DVD and TiVO), but the plot and story just wasn't my speed when matched up to all the hype it gets. Maybe it is the equivalent of a nouveau late night soap or the old time serials in the theaters. ALIAS was kind of the same way.

Props to ya Skull for mentioning House. Hugh Laurie is genius in the role.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
When I'm not laughing at all the continuity errors, I'm generally wondering why there are absolutely no hooks to persuade me into watching the next episode. Unless you count the entire first season as a hook for watching season 2, in which case someone in a leather chair behind a mahogany desk needs to be punched. :tongue:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have asked many Many people to explain Lost to me and every one has failed thus far.

Oops, I thought I had posted a LOST synopsis in a different thread.

"Lost" at a Glance: Forty-eight survivors of a near-fatal plane crash must learn to fend for themselves and fight the unusual occurrences on a deserted island.
When did it debut?: September 22, 2004 on ABC
When is it on?: Wednesdays at 9pm ET on ABC (check local listings)
Synopsis: After Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, its survivors were forced to find inner strength they never knew they had in order to survive. But they discovered that the island holds many secrets, including the intense howls of a mysterious creature stalking the jungle, as well as a polar bear, a marooned and possibly crazy French woman, a mystical boar, a mysterious group known only as "The Others," a ship called The Black Rock and... a hatch.

This season, Jack's mistrust of Locke will grow, as he continues to question his motives and obsession in uncovering the secrets of the mysterious hatch. The fates of Sawyer, Michael and Jin will be revealed after their raft was blown out of the water by "The Others" - who at the end of last season kidnapped Michael's son, Walt.

Sun will become less dependent on husband Jin and more autonomous, as she wonders whether he is still alive. Kate's back-story life as a fugitive will continue to be explored. Charlie will become even closer with Claire and her baby, Aaron, but the stash of drugs he found in a statue could seduce him back to a dark life of addiction.

The cursed numbers that turned Hurley's life upside down before the crash will continue to haunt him as he begins to uncover their meaning. Shannon will decide where Sayid fits in her life while she continues to grieve over the death of her brother, Boone, and develops a growing sense of unease about the raft passengers and their fate.

In addition, we discover that there is at least one more previously unknown survivor of the crash of flight #815 - Ana Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez) -- the mysterious woman Jack met at the Sydney airport bar. And Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje joins the cast as a resident of the island whose story is one of the mysteries that will be explored as the season progresses.

Summary provided by ABC.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I tried watching it, but after 3 or 4 episodes it Lost me.

BlackIsKingSize

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
LOST - Don't care for it. I rented the first two seasons and was thoroughly annoyed by the whole thing. Mainly because it ignored the stuff I wanted to know more about and (aside from Sawyer) focused on the characters I don't like.

HEROES - Not a fan. I wanted to be but just not working. A few good episodes here and there but for the most part the writing just isn't very good. The premise didn't even try to be unique, they don't have that many characters and still managed to repeat powers, and they go out of their way to make sure the story doesn't effect the rest of the world much. The show will get a lot more interesting if/when everybody finds out about them.

Anyway shows I like:
Psych, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, Kyle XY, Pushing Daisies, Dexter

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Me. I'd be happy if LOST well...got, lost.:cool:

Clearly we are either too discriminating, or lacking in imagination. I know my imagination is just fine, and from your posts I'd conclude the same about you.:biggrin1:

I certainly know my imagination, but I have found it very hard to put all the pieces together and see it clear. Also it's obvious that probably completed storylines from older episodes and seasons are neither irrelevant, nor lose relevancy, so you can't work your way around these past episodes.

I never understood all the hype around "Lost" either. I tried watching it numerous times during its first couple seasons and gave up.

It has started airing in fall of 2004. At that time, I have just been on my world travel out of one bag, so the first two seasons went past me completely. I have never been such an avid TV viewer anyway, and if it hadn't been for the increased pick-up of the talk about it around me and on the net, I'd never have taken interest in it. However, as I've said, my attempts to get into it failed feebly.

Anyways, I would just reccomend for you to go rent all the prior episodes.....sit down and watch them at your leisure and then tell us if you are hooked or not.

...because there is always a lot of stuff going on.......but I don't see how anyone could start watching the series right now and have a clue as to what these people have been through.....

It is a lot like the show Desperate Housewifes. Since I haven't seen that show since the begining and I don't know who anyone is...

I wish I had the time for that! But let's see: We have season 5 airing now, that makes four complete seasons, each at 22, 23 episodes, about 45 - 50 minutes. That'd be material for 3.5 - 4 days of continuous viewing. And obviously, watching once wouldn't be enough, according to Skull Mason and some of the guys at About.com.

The difference to Desperate Housewives, another show that I watch at irregular intervals, is that MSNBC.com entertainment always gets me up to date, and the character descriptions there are all I need to understand any episode given to me.

Don't misunderstand me, I have always liked good suspense, and movies/series with a good mystery that isn't easy to be cracked. At times, I think being one of the characters could be something for me (isn't there a Claire on the show anyway?), but what I don't like is that I'd have to watch every episode three or four times, on a 60"-HD-plasma screen and with a high-end HDD recorder plus professional video editing and audio analyzing gear to dissect it and pick out all the bits.

On the question of where they are, I can definitely answer that question for you: In the last drawer of my desk. Anything that is being dropped into it is once and for all times lost, and I think once I have even thrown a desk scale model of a plane in there. There's also an island of dust in it, and if I don't clean it out, you'll even find vegetation in it.

I agree with you Claire. I don't get the hype and when I have tried to watch the show, it fell flat.

Lost just well, lost me. I even tried to catch up by watching the DVDs (my 15 year old's girlgfriend has them on DVD and TiVO), but the plot and story just wasn't my speed when matched up to all the hype it gets. Maybe it is the equivalent of a nouveau late night soap or the old time serials in the theaters. ALIAS was kind of the same way.

Props to ya Skull for mentioning House. Hugh Laurie is genius in the role.

My sentiments, exactly. So both of us, plus a few others, won't join the exclusive club of the Lost understandings.

I have asked many Many people to explain Lost to me and every one has failed thus far.

Do me a favor: Get three or four regular watchers together around you, pay a few drinks, and then casually and to no one in particular drop the question what that show's about. I'd pay to hear all of them chiming into each other, interrupting, and making the whole matter even more confusing. Because exactly that is my experience.

So far, I have always made good experience with the explanations at MSNBC.com, plus, I had thought that NJQT's post of the About.com section could have helped me. The sheer amount of information there made me fall into despair!

Sorry, I still am an avid fan right up to the present.

I take it you watched it from the first episode, then?

I think it could interest me too, but I have missed the boat by now.