The art of conversation is dead...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love a conversation filled with polysyllabic embroidery as much as the next bloke, but for my mind, the words you've listed have great value.

I use them all, routinely. Not if I'm talking to the Chief Justice or Royalty, of course, but for everyone else, there's a time and a place....

I suppose they have great value if you're an introvert and it pains you to have any meaningful connection in your life.

Titsdude21

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
you no, sometimes guys dont feel like talking.

I know often i wont feel like talking. But if i start a convo with someone i pretty much just ask heaps of questions, try to get to know the girl better and make her think im "a good listener" (i.e good at nodding and smiling. lol

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My problem is that I find 2/3s of the people I meet are stupid. The 33% left are half male and I don't talk sports, unless it's MMA, and I don't talk politics -- so that leaves most males out. Of the half that are women, they don't like talking about sex as much as I do. All in all, that leaves about 3% or 4% of the population I can converse with and most of them are reading this now.

I'll fucking banter, but I gotta know you won't monopolize the conversation with you. People LOVE talking about themselves and that gets to be boring. I'd much rather read the back of a beer bottle label.

averagepeck

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I find that I had alot more to talk about when I was younger, perhaps because I was involved in more activities to use as talking points. As I have gotten older my life activities have dwindled down into a set routine, of which there is little deviation, and not alot of wiggle room to talk about anything beyond the rudimentary small talk about work, the daily news, etc etc. My technique for conversating with my fiance is simply being an active listener, because she is quite verbal, picking something from what she says, and asking or expanding on it, and then relate my own feelings to it. Usually results in a lasting conversation.

Personally, I think modern technology has eroded both the art of conversation and the english language period. People don't address emails properly like they would a formal typed or written letter, and net-speak ie lol, lmao, iirc, u, 2day, and so on has taken over.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I'll fucking banter, but I gotta know you won't monopolize the conversation with you. People LOVE talking about themselves and that gets to be boring. I'd much rather read the back of a beer bottle label.

"A bore is someone who talks about themselves, when you want to talk about yourself." :cool:

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"A bore is someone who talks about themselves, when you want to talk about yourself."

At first blush, it certainly seems to make sense, but if you think about it, a bore is someone who has no substance in their speech. You can gather their current state of mind easily, but you see and feel nothing deeper. There's no "umph" to compel you to ask questions.

i'm frigid.

Dammit! Again? You weren't like this a few days ago!!

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's the art of conversation, and then there's the art of being able to talk to someone about something besides the weather. Both are equally as important, and I pity anyone who has no idea how to respond to the phrase "what's up?" with more than just another "one-word" phrase. There are a cazillion (yes, that is now a word hahahahaha...) ways to respond to it, give it to me!!!