The Arthurian Legend

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
anyone else a fan of this rather broad topic and myriad stories that stem from the legend?

i first became intrigued by it after seeing "Excalibur" the 1981 film...

the problem is that there are so many liberties and different stories added over the years, there is no one true narrative...

the Monmouth story is probably the best representation of it, but of course the later additions of Lancelot and the Grail Quests are also extremely interesting too.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not a huge fan, but I started liking it after two movies I saw:
- 'The sword in the stone' by Disney
- 'First knight' with Richard Gere and Sean Connery

come on dude...lol :wink:

have you seen Excalibur? if not see it *IMMEDIATELY* ...you will love it..50 times better than First Knight, which was really bad IMO

this is the original trailer for Excalibur in 1981
YouTube - Excalibur Trailer (1981)

and this is the new HiDef one
YouTube - EXCALIBUR FILM TRAILER REDUX!

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
come on dude...lol :wink:

have you seen Excalibur? if not see it *IMMEDIATELY* ...you will love it..50 times better than First Knight, which was really bad IMO

this is the original trailer for Excalibur in 1981
YouTube - Excalibur Trailer (1981)

and this is the new HiDef one
YouTube - EXCALIBUR FILM TRAILER REDUX!

Hmmm, nope, I really like 'First Knight', looked more real then Excalibur, I really don't like the almost "scifi-parts" in those movies. If I see a movie about that decade, it has to look as real as possible...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder why? :tongue:

Erotic, but very misogynistic.

true i enjoyed helen back then...but i preferred Igrayne...gotta love when Gabriel Byrne rides across the ocean. and nails her while wearing a full suit of armor while her husband is dying in battle LOL.

the dance she did was pretty hot too :biggrin1:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
true i enjoyed helen back then...but i preferred Igrayne...gotta love when Gabriel Byrne rides across the ocean. and nails her while wearing a full suit of armor while her husband is dying in battle LOL.

the dance she did was pretty hot too :biggrin1:

Is that when he comes back from battle, rips her dress open and starts... uh... nursing? Pause... Rewind... Play... Pause...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm, nope, I really like 'First Knight', looked more real then Excalibur, I really don't like the almost "scifi-parts" in those movies. If I see a movie about that decade, it has to look as real as possible...

looked more "real"? :tongue:

Arthur's legend is said to have existed in the Dark Ages...do you think in the year 600 AD, people and castles looked more like this:

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Other Films/1st Knight wide Camelot.jpg

http://www.betsyda.com/pictures/movies/firstknight/firstk1.jpg

or like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Ireland-Cahir_Castle.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/excalibur-1981/Excalibur.jpg

sorry my friend...First Knight was a total hollywood whitewash of the Arthurian Legend's

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is that when he comes back from battle, rips her dress open and starts... uh... nursing? Pause... Rewind... Play... Pause...

yup...but he does not come from the battle...he waits on the hill on the far shore....with merlin. when the duke of cornwall leaves the castle to go pursue uther's men, merlin changes him into the form of the duke, then he hops on his horse, rides across the sea, heads into the castle, grabs igrayne, then rips said dress open and starts...uh...nursing :biggrin1:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
looked more "real"? :tongue:

Arthur's legend is said to have existed in the Dark Ages...do you think in the year 600 AD, people and castles looked more like this:

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Other Films/1st Knight wide Camelot.jpg

http://www.betsyda.com/pictures/movies/firstknight/firstk1.jpg

or like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Ireland-Cahir_Castle.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/excalibur-1981/Excalibur.jpg

sorry my friend...First Knight was a total hollywood whitewash of the Arthurian Legend's

Ever been to Carcasonne (France)? Those roofs are also that fascinating blue like in the movie 'First Knight' Of course not that many towers. But what Excalibur shows like the fireworks that comes out a sword... well, that isn't for me realistic...
And then I rather believe the size of the kingdom in 'First Knight' because there are castles that have such a wow-factor like this one: http://greyfalcon.us/restored/myPictures/neuschwanstein_1.jpg

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course, it's probably a bit beyond a Manc! :biggrin1:

does it star Sir Steven of Gerrard as an evil, ugly troll who lives in a forest of horrors, who is then slain by a gallant Sir Michael of Owen, who turned his back on the traitorous fiends from merseyside to join the heroic knights of the Stretford End? :tongue:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ever been to Carcasonne (France)? Those roofs are also that fascinating blue like in the movie 'First Knight' Of course not that many towers. But what Excalibur shows like the fireworks that comes out a sword... well, that isn't for me realistic...
And then I rather believe the size of the kingdom in 'First Knight' because there are castles that have such a wow-factor like this one: http://greyfalcon.us/restored/myPictures/neuschwanstein_1.jpg

yes i have been to carcasonne...it is beautiful...but it was completely restored in 1853.

and the beautiful castle you linked to, neuschwanstein, was not even built till around 1870 :smile:

they are truly beautiful structures, but do not forget, England, through the dark ages was considered barbarian lands....their structures and castles were built far more for imposing effect, and defense then with ornamental beauty in mind....it still shows through when you look at the ancient castles and fortresses in england, scotland and wales and ireland today...

they are darker, more foreboding, more stout, less ornamented....

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
the Monmouth story is probably the best representation of it, but of course the later additions of Lancelot and the Grail Quests are also extremely interesting too.

Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae has a seemingly credible title, but it's mostly fantasy. It's events inspired stories later on, such as Arthur defeating the Saxons and creating a huge British Empire (From Iceland to Gaul), Merlin the Wizard and Excalibur, his battle against Modred the Magician. Later, in the 12th centry, Lancelot and the Holy Grail story was introduced, as well as the Knights of the Round Table.

I'm also a fan of the legend of Arthur and any other Grail story. I find it exciting and mysterious. I loved the miniseries, Merlin; it was a bit slow but very ingenious and novel.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae has a seemingly credible title, but it's mostly fantasy. It's events inspired stories later on, such as Arthur defeating the Saxons and creating a huge British Empire (From Iceland to Gaul), Merlin the Wizard and Excalibur, his battle against Modred the Magician. Later, in the 12th centry, Lancelot and the Holy Grail story was introduced, as well as the Knights of the Round Table.

I'm also a fan of the legend of Arthur and any other Grail story. I find it exciting and mysterious. I loved the miniseries, Merlin; it was a bit slow but very ingenious and novel.

yes...like most things, i wish there was more actual information about the tales that Monmouth wove int his histories, but obviously in a way, that is why the tale of Arthur has become so much larger, to become the "Arthurian Legend".

it makes it easier to sort of combine them all into one large mix. :biggrin1:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
anyone else a fan of this rather broad topic and myriad stories that stem from the legend?

I thought it an interesting twist that Stephen King named his gunslinger from the Dark Tower saga as being directly descended from "Arthur Eld" and his sixguns forged from the steel that was once Excalibur. His take on Maerlyn was also an interesting departure from depictions I was familiar with.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I thought it an interesting twist that Stephen King named his gunslinger from the Dark Tower saga as being directly descended from "Arthur Eld" and his sixguns forged from the steel that was once Excalibur. His take on Maerlyn was also an interesting departure from depictions I was familiar with.

interesting...i did not know that...i have not read much Stephen King, except for the very widely known earlier novels that were made into movies and such.

(Carrie, Salems Lot, The Shining, Creepshow, Cujo, Christine, Cat's Eye, etc.)

jeez...i was just going back and reacquainting myself with what he has done...

man, talk about a prolific career! :eek:

after the ones i mentioned above, he then did Maximum OverDrive, Stand By Me, the Lawnmower Man, Running Man, Pet Sematary, Misery, Shawshank Redemption, Dolores Claiborne, The Green Mile,)

i sort of lost interest in him around 1995, and although i know he has produced alot since then, the only one i really saw was The green Mile...

still, jeez, what a career!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Dark Tower story is easily his best work. It spans seven volumes...the first (The Gunslinger) written around '76, and the final book (The Dark Tower) released in 2004.

Elements of the reality he envisioned, often intertwined with our own, can be found in the vast majority of all his writing. King is my guilty pleasure reading...there's little he's published that I haven't read. His short stories (ever see Creepshow?) are some of my favorites...I've read them several times over.