The Battle Over Gay Teens

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This was a Time magazine cover story a while ago. I have the magazine and was hoping they would evetually make it available online.

Fascinating read. Talks about how fundies are trying to infiltrate high schools as they can see that most young americans don't give a rats ass about oppressing gay people.

I will quote the first page and link to the story.

Time Magazine said:
In May, David Steward, a former president of TV Guide, and his partner Pierre Friedrichs, a caterer, hosted an uncomfortably crowded cocktail party at their Manhattan apartment. It was a typical gay fund raiser--there were lemony vodka drinks with mint sprigs; there were gift bags with Calvin Klein sunglasses; Friedrichs prepared little blackened-tuna-with-mango-chutney hors d'oeuvres that were served by uniformed waiters. Billionaire philanthropist Edgar Bronfman Sr. was there; David Mixner, a gay activist and longtime friend of Bill Clinton's, was holding court with Jason Moore, director of the musical Avenue Q.

But the odd thing was that the gay (and gay-friendly) élite had gathered to raise money not for one of its established charities--the Human Rights Campaign, say, or the Democratic National Committee--but for an obscure organization that has quietly become one of the fastest-growing gay groups in the nation, the Point Foundation. Launched in 2001, Point gives lavish (often full-ride) scholarships to gay students. It is one of the few national groups conceived explicitly to help gay kids, and it is a leading example of how the gay movement is responding to the emergence this decade of hundreds of thousands of openly gay youths.

Kids are disclosing their homosexuality with unprecedented regularity--and they are doing so much younger. The average gay person now comes out just before or after graduating high school, according to The New Gay Teenager, a book Harvard University Press published this summer. The book quotes a Penn State study of 350 young people from 59 gay groups that found that the mean age at which lesbians first have sexual contact with other girls is 16; it's just 14 for gay boys. In 1997 there were approximately 100 gay-straight alliances (GSAs)--clubs for gay and gay-friendly kids--on U.S. high school campuses. Today there are at least 3,000 GSAs--nearly 1 in 10 high schools has one--according to the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN, say "glisten"), which registers and advises GSAs. In the 2004-05 academic year, GSAs were established at U.S. schools at the rate of three per day.

The appearance of so many gay adolescents has, predictably, worried social conservatives, but it has also surprised gay activists, who for years did little to help the few teenagers who were coming out. Both sides sense high stakes. "Same-sex marriage--that's out there. But something going on in a more fierce and insidious way, under the radar, is what's happening in our schools," says Mathew Staver, president of Liberty Counsel, an influential conservative litigation group that earlier this year won a court order blocking a Montgomery County, Md., teachers' guide that disparaged Evangelicals for their views on gays. "They"--gay activists--"know if they make enough inroads into [schools], the same-sex-marriage battle will be moot."

FULL STORY

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Excellent... do they have things like that in Canada? I know one of the guys from my town, was harassed so badly, by classmates, and teachers. His mother, and him tried to pass a law that stopped that in the schools. Nothing was done, and they are pressing charges now.. he's 21... So they have been battling this for awhile.

Also as I was talking to Brandon about the classes he was taking this semester, he raised concern about being in one of the Exercise Science classes... and having to shower with the straight jocks, and such. He thinks he will be told to get out, made fun of, or beat up... And I didn't know what to say to him. I couldn't say how I would react, or what to do in that situation...

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Excellent... do they have things like that in Canada?

I love you Kink...

This is just another looking glass into the true size of the gay community. We have strength, we have voice, we have power. The new gay youth generation will prove that with enough PRIDE IN SELF, the gay community need not be victimized.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
The new gay youth generation will prove that with enough PRIDE IN SELF, the gay community need not be victimized.

I agree with your sentiment completely but I don't see gays willfully giving up the power the title of victim bestows anytime soon.

How then could they play on people's guilt?

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Fear and Ignorance

Those are the two things that drive so much of what "fundamentalist" groups do to curtail liberties and progress.

If I may share a true story from my first experience with an openly gay man, it may help explain what I mean.

Ray was a gay student who began soliciting sex with me my freshman year in college. I wasn't attracted to him and as curious as I was about gay sex, I was not going to explore it with him. He was quite persistent, even somehow getting my home number and calling me at my parents' house when I went home on weekends. Being the "enlightened" individual I thought I should be, I kept telling him that I wasn't interested, but I also kept trying to be polite and civil. It did get annoying, though, and had I been less "enlightened" I might have been tempted to be rude or even violent.

FEAR would have taken me in that direction because I didn't want to be tainted with guilt by association... even never having engaged in sex with Ray. It might have also provoked uncivilized response because I hadn't been given much in the way of social tools for dealing with ME being pestered for sex... the whole double standard thing. So, being put at the receiving end of such proposals is not a place a guy like me was supposed to be. That kind of upsetting of the established social order can be frightening.

IGNORANCE is unfortunately the driving force behind so much of what impels fundamentalism. A high premium was put on education in my home, and I was personally curious about homosexuality; so, I knew a lot of what information was available at the time. However, someone who doesn't know that there is research indicating that homosexuality is not a question of being a "choice" for many gay people and that it is simply how they were born, may ignorantly assume that some gay individual is perversely choosing to behave in an anti-social way. Our instinctual behavior to root out those who do not conform is also something that ignorance exacerbates. Many fundamentalist groups are so focused on humans not being animals, they are either ignorant of or simply deny our basic animal nature. Thus, there is less effort made to either accomodate or overcome our instinctual behaviors.

The savvy fundamentalist leaders then trade on the fear and ignorance, and the less savvy ones simple succumb to them... and their followers are just that: followers.

Educated and confident individuals of any stripe or color are less likely to be subject to their misguiding direction.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby's the best race- and orientation-baiting troll that has never been banned.

Most of us know him well enough to mostly ignore him.

I wish he'd read the article and stop acting as if people aren't mistreated.

It's SO fucking hard to white and male in America--and LOOK, he even has a pretty decent cock too--hense the UBER attitude.

Whatever.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How then could they play on people's guilt?

I had planned to fully thrash you in this responce, but I gave it some thought....

There is power in being a victim. Pity is a strong force to guide people to help others, so I'm going to have pity and help you...

I have seen some of your other posts and you seem to relish the attacks that your 'concepts' beget. I think that perhaps you enjoy being a victim. I think you drop what you believe is an innocent remark and then bask in the pain and anguish you believe is honestly yours because of the remarks you receive in return. It's like when one is dying to say something to someone and they never give you a segue, so you force one on them.

Victim is a role of choice. Even those who have been victimized can chose to deny power to those who wish power over them.

Hence, I deny you. I deny you power over me. I deny you the right to catagorize, or define me. I am self defining. I am not a victim, and never would I give the reigns over to the likes of you.

My reality is autonmous and does not rely on your permisson.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby, it's not entirely about feeling that we are equals and you know it.

I feel that I am as good as anyone. That still does not prevent people in positions of power from treating me inequitably.

You act as if all that need happen is every minority feel equal to every white man and we both know that isn't the half of it.

Your flippant dismissal of the actions of people of your race, orientation and gender against all minorities (women, ethnic/racial minorities, gays/lesbians) makes YOU are part of the very problem you purport to want to help solve.

But, please, don't let us stop you from reminding us of how privileged you are as a white male in America and how much better our lives would be if we stopped acting as if we have a tougher road to walk. Carry on.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby, you think the rest of us don't "get it"?

Please.

We "get it," we just don't agree with your tired worldview.

Next.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shelby, you think the rest of us don't "get it"?

Please.

We "get it," we just don't agree with your tired worldview.

Next.

I must agree with Matthew. Viewpoints age and become invalid. Get with the programme, Shelby. You haul out this old-school rhetoric like a salmon coloured liesure suit and think you still look good in it. No, you don't.