The Beauty Myth

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Drifterwood, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Beauty, does it make you

More intelligent?
    A better lover?
    More compassionate?
    A better mother?
    A better partner?
    Better at your job?

Angst, obsession, depression and a multi billion dollar industry. Great.

Solve the recession, add 20% sales tax to the vanity industry.

2. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

The beauty industry doesn't do very well out of me I'm afraid.

The best beauty products are a 30 plus sun screen, no sun bathing and no smoking.

3. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

To me it's just a way to relate to other people. I've had the classic experience of meeting people who seemed beautiful but ended up being not so beautiful because of their attitudes or other characteristics. What I have noticed though is that women (and guys) who are the most beautiful aren't really aware of their own beauty. Those that are and use it for their own benefit are easy to spot.

4. hud01

Gold Member

It makes you more popular and tends to make you more successful, as does height.

5. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    What is beauty? I think any one of the attributes you listed could alone define one's beauty. It is all in the mind of the beholder, after all. And quite self-fullfilling, actually. For some people, intelligence or compassion or love-making skills is enough for their partner to consider them beautiful.

6. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

Beauty is subjective.

7. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I do notice that if I focus on somebody's beauty, everything else goes more smoothly though.

8. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's been my same experience as well.

There's been too many women that I've either known or dated who seemed very beautiful and attractive on the outside and then once I got to know them inside I found out that they were no good and just plain mean.

I never got the type of female personality who just wants to use other people. Likewise, I've never understood the male personality who falls for it everytime either. :tongue:

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    In all honesty, what's the point of this thread? Is it just a gripe?

I for one can't tolerate people who have "attractive" physical features but who are otherwise douche-er-ish.

That said, I treasure beauty. Including human beauty. What's not to love about beauty?

Shall we delve into defining "beauty"?.....................

10. LeftHookBrutal

LeftHookBrutal New Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the beholders tend to agree on what is beautiful.

11. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, some physical traits are considered more beautiful than others (intracultural), but what is more beautiful in one culture might not be so in another one.

At the end of the day, beauty is highly subjective. And a physical trait or a "great" body (whatever that is) can never make two people fall in love forever.

You always hear "It's what's in the inside that matters" after seeing all those air-brushed magazines and watching E tonight (I don't LOL). Society is highly contradictive and needs to laughed at (very confusing for young people, though, and many adults who've never grown up).

My big dick might not be liked everywhere.:biggrin1:

12. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Beauty is as beauty duh-z... :wink:

Just kidding. Beauty is good to look at. People put art on their wall, why not appreciate it on their arm or in the mirror?

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Some beauty requires as much paint as a picture, so perhaps you are right. You know, NP, I always wonder about guys who prioritise having a "beautiful" woman on their arm. How would the attachment feel about being an accessory?

Actually ST, I was out in town the other night and some people were so covered in "beauty" products, I was wondering if they believed that these really did make them beautiful.

14. silky73

silky73 New Member

This thread reminds me of the movie "Shallow Hal" .....

15. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    If she's smart, the "attachment" KNOWS she is an accessory. If she doesn't know, then she deserves to be an accessory. In either case, I have no problem with the "game."

IMO, vitality, health and a good attitude are the best "make up" a person can wear. Unfortunately, you can't buy them at Bloomingdale's or Harrods.

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I agree.

Though I would say, fortunately you can't buy them in x y z.

I personally recommend good sex as the best beauty product.

I don't know about the game. I suppose it depends what trophies mean to you.

17. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

I disagree completely.

18. B_ILIW

B_ILIW New Member

Beauty IMO is not a myth.

I personally do not value attractive people as better/more worthy persons. But I do admit that if I am around an attractive woman, I feel a glow inside. A lot of people feel this also, and for the most part it's natural. This is why most cultures in some sense value beauty. Take this woman for instance - http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2271/akshara10pj5.jpg . Aside from any sexual feeling, just looking at her energises me. I can't help it, it's just human nature.

It is true that looks does not denote any other aspect of a person, which is why I don't judge good looking persons as better (or people I may think are not as attractive as lesser). Nonetheless, human nature in general is as it is.

I think less attractive persons shouldn't be bitter, and accept themselves as they are and exert confidence at all times.

19. B_ILIW

B_ILIW New Member

IMO, it's a mixture of both. Some men like boobs, or specific hair colour, even specific ethnicity. But in practically all societies there is a common view of attractiveness. Most in the US see Kim Kardashian as pretty, most don't see Rosie O'Donnell as pretty.

20. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only universal standard of beauty I know of is symmetry.

After that it varies depending on where or when and personal tastes.

It doesn't make one more anything other than visually appealing, however because visual appeal is the biggest factor of the initial impression people get of one another it has an effect on how beautiful people are treated and how they learn to interact with others.

Not asked was more successful with work. Often. Being given frequent help means more tasks are completed and often beauty can influence others to make allowances for short-comings. Lastly beauty is persuasive on it's own, making others more easily swayed to the speaker's POV, the most obvious example of this is sales and advertising but the same principle applies at meetings and interviews.

Draft saved Draft deleted