The Best American Patriotic Song

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Tomcat you need to go back and restudy your history. GB fully intended to take the colonies back. The one thing that saved us was Napolean was active in Europe, and GB could not afford to send an even greater number of troops to North America.

Tomcat you need to go back and restudy your history. GB fully intended to take the colonies back. The one thing that saved us was Napolean was active in Europe, and GB could not afford to send an even greater number of troops to North America.
Ah well...at least we sorted ol Boney out - and the colonials havent done too badly on their own. ;)

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Maybe they held hopes of taking back the colonies, but they knew that was never going to happen. Where in hell do you get your history from?

THEDUDEofDestiny

Experimental Member
Media

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm gonna take the traditional nostalgic route.

I've always liked "America The Beautiful." Simple, poetic, and MUCH easier to sing than "Star Spangled Banner."
Ray Charles version, yes! :smile:
Ask and ye shall receive: America, The Beautiful : Ray Charles

My top pick. I've often wondered what our national psyche might be and what direction we might have gone if this were our national anthem. If at the start of every ball game and civic event, instead of singing about war, rockets, and bombs bursting in air; we sang about mountains majesty, brotherhood, and patriot dreams.

I've always been partial to Stars & Stripes Forever; it reminds me of childhood parades, sparklers on the dock of my grandmother's lakefront summer house in Moultonborough, NH and simpler times in general.
^ I completely relate. This to me is the ultimate 4th of July fireworks music.

And for the grand finale, the incomparable Kate Smith - God Bless America

..:usa2:

Last edited:

The Brits kinda like your national anthem, oddly enuff. It was played at the changing of the guard after 9/11 (unheard of for a foreign anthem to get an airing).

Here's a version by a British string quartet - kinda easy-listening but nice. :)

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
The Brits kinda like your national anthem, oddly enuff. It was played at the changing of the guard after 9/11 (unheard of for a foreign anthem to get an airing).

Here's a version by a British string quartet - kinda easy-listening but nice. :)
Not surprising the Brits would like our national anthem, it's kind of a pigeon coming home to roost. Oddly, the Star Spangled Banner poem, written by Francis Scott Key, was set to the tune of an English drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven," written by John Stafford Smith with words by Ralph Tomlinson, circa 1780. Maybe another good reason to switch to "America the Beautiful".

Guess it just shows that, try as they might, the colonists could not escape their Anglophile heritage. I wonder how the Queen feels about drinking songs being played at the changing of her guard. :eek:

Last edited:

Amused probably. Her and Prince Philip have been known to like the odd dram... :p