The Best American Patriotic Song

Sorry, but that version sounds more like a Christmas carol than a national anthem :tongue:
It's a wee bit lacklustre on second listen.

I vastly prefer this. :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Guess it just shows that, try as they might, the colonists could not escape their Anglophile heritage. I wonder how the Queen feels about drinking songs being played at the changing of her guard. :eek:
She is probably amused. But not so much by "My Country 'Tis of Thee" using the same melody as "God Saved the Queen". :rolleyes: I got caught in the sixth grade singing the original lyrics and Mrs. Moyles was a bit pissed about it.

abu101

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What does everyone think? The song that makes me cry is "Where were you" by Alan Jackson. I think it's the best because it doesn't create divisions and just asks everyone to come together and ease each others pain. It's probably the best song I can play on guitar too :)

its a tie between the

Star Spangled Banner

and

Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful

both give me goosebumps and tears

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
If you've ever heard Keb Mo's version of America the Beautiful you know what I'm talking about; some how it embodies this rustic, dirty-Mississippi-water, lemonade in the summer time, lighting bugs at night vibe that is distinctly American. The video for it is pretty amazing as well.

The first time I ever heard it (ironically enough) was during the very last episode of The West Wing as they packed up President Bartlet's office and swore in President Santos. I was in a room full of people and I kid you not there were grown men in there crying. (Our Debate Club met right before the AA meeting in our auditorium and a few of them came early.)

JSZ

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
She is probably amused. But not so much by "My Country 'Tis of Thee" using the same melody as "God Saved the Queen". :rolleyes: I got caught in the sixth grade singing the original lyrics and Mrs. Moyles was a bit pissed about it.
Wikipedia is less than clear on what is the original version. It was used on the continent before being adopted in England with the landing of Charles Stuart in 1745, when it would appear both sides used it in support of their contender for the throne.

The phrases 'god save the king' and response 'long to reign over us' were apparently a formal toast in 1545 in the royal navy. Handel used the tune in a piece in 1720. It has the form of a dance tune for a galliard. Various similar tunes exist earlier, some apparently using a choice of notes in various places.

Myself, I though it was French.

keycock

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
"The Star-Spangled Banner" is one of the things that makes the USA a great country. The ascending six notes that open the anthem just pushes you to rise to your feet. Even though the words (written by a lawyer, after all) are pretty good poetry they don't fit the melody. Nonetheless, as children we had to strain through the rockets glaring and bombs bursting in air and that exercised our lung power so we could grow up and shout at each other.

A Japanese man once remarked that "Stars & Stripes Forever" was the most erotic piece of music he'd ever heard (I mention this so as to not let this LPSG board stray too far off-topic). It's a great tune, even when played on a guitar.

But, in a larger sense, I believe the national anthems of Israel and France are probably the best in the world as musical works. Canada is good too, singing about True North and all that. But I've always thought it especially cool that the French national anthem begins, "let's go, children." (That is the correct translation of "allons, enfants", non?)

O===w

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
But, in a larger sense, I believe the national anthems of Israel and France are probably the best in the world as musical works. Canada is good too, singing about True North and all that. But I've always thought it especially cool that the French national anthem begins, "let's go, children." (That is the correct translation of "allons, enfants", non?)

I always like the Russian anthem--featured prominently at the Olympics and, of course, before the big fight scene in Rocky IV. :smile:

abu101

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you've ever heard Keb Mo's version of America the Beautiful you know what I'm talking about; some how it embodies this rustic, dirty-Mississippi-water, lemonade in the summer time, lighting bugs at night vibe that is distinctly American. The video for it is pretty amazing as well.

The first time I ever heard it (ironically enough) was during the very last episode of The West Wing as they packed up President Bartlet's office and swore in President Santos. I was in a room full of people and I kid you not there were grown men in there crying. (Our Debate Club met right before the AA meeting in our auditorium and a few of them came early.)

JSZ

thank you for educating me about this person, Keb Mo, and his America The Beautiful video.

it is moving in its own unique way

here's the link

- not sure if we are allowed to provide links here, guess i'll find out

- if it gets cut off, just simply search for Keb Mo America the Beautiful on youtube, that's how i found it

aloha, abu