The best gym to join?

BIGdkluver

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is a question for all you "gym rats" out there--and I use that term in the best sense of course! :smile:

I'm thinking about joining a professional gym to help keep myself in shape. Which one would you buff (and hung) guys recommend? I'm looking for nice facilities, both sauna and steam rooms, not too much money required for joining, and--to be honest--maybe a little chance to have some quick sex action on the side (not a priority, of course, but it would definitely be a perk!).
My two main choices are Bally's and Gold's. Any others I should consider? Thanks!

BJH

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I go to a small crappy gym thats across the street from the high school I graduated from 5 years ago. I like 24 Fitness because they have so much equipment that you can work with, along with personal trainers to help you reach your goals. On the downside though, the employees over there are really pushy salespeople and can get pretty annoying at times.

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Big:

Try several different gyms and see if they have what you want. Go at the times you'll be using them. Note that January is going to be a pain with all the New Year's Resolution crowd, but the number of people will decrease toward February.

Take care

Ceg

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This is a question for all you "gym rats" out there--and I use that term in the best sense of course! :smile:

I'm thinking about joining a professional gym to help keep myself in shape. Which one would you buff (and hung) guys recommend? I'm looking for nice facilities, both sauna and steam rooms, not too much money required for joining, and--to be honest--maybe a little chance to have some quick sex action on the side (not a priority, of course, but it would definitely be a perk!).
My two main choices are Bally's and Gold's. Any others I should consider? Thanks!

Don't know what's in your neck of the woods, Good Life is usually decent value and very straightforward with monthly no-surprise fees.

Bally's are a bunch of scamartists and assholes IMO. Quiting is a pain in the ass. Part of the standard high-pressure sales presentation is to insult and demean you. This place is gimmic city.

No direct experience with Gold's although they appear to be riding on their brand a bit. Join the gym, buy a t-shirt, take some of our re-labeled supplements, watch the meatheads hang out in the corner.

If you are in university or just live near one many of these have excellent student facilities and athletics grade fitness centers with the option of hiring a personal trainer, nutritional consultation, etc who is actually a student of these subjects rather than a salesperson for Fitness, Inc. The non-student rate is no more than a standard private gym membership.

YMCAs often have very good facilites (better than Good life or other medium size private gym),somewhat clueless consultants, and also the place to go for a workout and a man-man pickup (so I hear). Personally, if I woke up gay and wanted that sort of thing (I'm straight) I'd go to a bathhouse rather than harrass people at the gym though where 90% are likely to be straight.

If you're serious about fixing up your life health:

1) Join Gym (Uni/Good Life/YMCA)
2) Nutritional Consultation
3) Personal Trainer 1/week to start.
4) Do Resistance and Cardio alt. days at least 4 days a week.

I know this irrelevant to the OP (I cannot help him), but maybe Australians already reading this may help.

I also seek a gym/dojo/training-area near Melbourne, in Victoria/Australia.

I would prefer one that is tolerant and hardcore.., supervision is not required.

Bryan_Lyte2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I can't hep you in the hook ups department, but I will suggest this. The less crowded the gym the more likely you will use more of the machines, or freeweights with less wait time. It makes you workouts faster and easier, plus less distractions (or more focused ones. I don't know)

Secondly, trainers are nice in that some if most know the correct ways to do the exercises, else get a buddy to go with you. They will be concerned as much for your safety as theirs. If you do train with a buddy find a balance of competitive and concern. Competition between buddis can help inspire to pick up more weights or push harder, but too much can cause you to strain yourself in order to beat the competion.

Nutrition is key to working out so if you don't have a nutritionist, at least seek advice from the next best place, a physician, someone you should regularly visit when working out anyway.

Lastly, don't go to the gym for your hookups. Go there to working on your body and go to hang out spots for hookupsGuys that hookup in gyms are looking for other guys that spend all day at that gym.

I know most of this has been mentioned before and probably worded better, but I reinforce what was said, and believe it to be sound advice.
:cool:

Mr._dB

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of those two chains, Gold's gyms are usually better equipped for serious lifting. Bally's often seems like a "fitness fern bar" with an emphasis on cardio, classes, and the social scene.

I've also heard that Bally's contracts are far more onerous, and more difficult to cancel if you need out. They don't care if you go to the gym, as long as they get their automatic payment from you every month, and they'll make it very difficult for you to cut off that stream of finance.

D_Morvah Carpetburne

Experimental Member
Media
HONEST TO GOD, check out your local YMCA they are pretty inexpensive usually a month to month membership, I am member of one in San Diego and it gives all the Big Chains a major run for the money, and yes the song from the 70's is true you will have fun at the YMCA and a GREAT WORK out!

dexman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been going to the gym religiously for well over 20 years now. I presently am a member of 2 gyms in my city (SF). I go to 24 hr Fitness for their classes (I take Step and Spin there) but my "regular" work out gym for weights is a local, smaller, older, non-chain gym that has a more low key neighborhood feel to it that I prefer over the larger chain mega-gym environments. I've been going there for many years now.

For serious work outs, Golds and 24 hr Fitness may be your best bets nationwide. I can't comment on Bally's as there are none in my area that I'm aware of. But Golds and 24 hr seem to have most of the things people want--variety and type of equipment, clean and modern facilities and class options. But as someone else here suggested, you should visit several gyms in your area before you decide which one works for you. Location is also something to take into consideration. If a gym is too hard or inconvenient to get to, you're less likely to go regularly. The bigger chain gyms can often offer multiple locations for easy access from home or work, and you might be able to get that kinds of usage as part of your membership.

As far as the "sex" options go, things aren't like they used to be "back in the day" when a lot of gyms were bathouses in disguise, where gay men could easily get action as well as bi/straight men if they were on the look out for a little "something-something". A lot of gyms probably still do have that type of atmosphere in the locker rooms and saunas though it's probably less obvious than it used to be, but a great many don't--the advent of AIDS/STD's and crackdowns by local health depts have had a major impact on all that.

I certainly had my share of really hot action in the sauna at some of my gyms in LA, but those days are gone and so I just hold onto the fun memories. My suggestion would be to find a gym that suits you for serious workouts first and foremost. If there's some action in the sauna or some lowkey cruising where you could meet somebody and hook up later on the outside, then that's bonus points for you, I guess. But I would shy away from actively looking for sex in the gym. There's a lot of other places you can give/get a discreet BJ or HJ besides the gym. And unless you go to a predominately or exclusively gay gym, you could find yourself in an embarrassing situation as a lot of gyms nowadays, even gay ones, have strict regulations about sexual conduct on the premises.

rsny845

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've been a member at Gold's Gym for 7 years. It's always been adequate and even got better when my local Gold's renovated. I travel with work and usually can find a Gold's.

Its pretty much what you make of a gym, I think, as long as the gym has the basic equipment. For me, its got to be nearby - one less excuse for not going.

Hooking up? In NYC its pretty common. NYSC, Gold's, Equinox, Crunch - wherever. Still nicer to make love at home.

If you want to find your perfect training environment, visitor and daily passes will improve your chances.

The people are different in each area.

I am a recluse myself.., one who often damages machines through sheer strength.