The best place in the world to live?

I admit to being attracted to westernized countries. I like having civil rights and an open court system.

I feel it only fair to choose places I've actually been. Emmigration has been somewhere in my mind for a while as I have three friends who have done the same thing; one to the UK, one to Poland, and one to Ireland.

I've considered The Netherlands and Monaco. The Netherlands because I love the Dutch concept of civilization and government. I do have issues with being anybody's subject on principle and so don't care much for monarchies even western democratic ones. That said, if I moved to The Netherlands I'd automatically become a republican. Great people though. Monaco is stunning with great weather and so clean you can eat off the streets; a good thing as I'd probably have to do that given the cost of living there. Lot of eurotrash in Monaco though and it is an absolute monarchy so I'd have even more problems with it than The Netherlands.

I secretly love France and and will go to Paris at any opportunity despite their rudeness. Stunning country and nice people outside of Paris itself, particularly in the south. Digne or Brittany could suit me very well.

Bermuda. I have loved Bermuda since I was a child. Great weather, great people, and the highest standard of living in the western hemisphere. They stay busy enough but not a lot of cultural goings on. Still, I'd love to have a house there.

Ireland is wonderful. Great place for raising kids, good economy, and higher standard of living than the US. They speak English too! Lot of opportunities and such, but the neighborliness and general politeness of the people is wonderful.

When I'm old and gray(er), I should like to live out my last years as an old man in the Piazza d'Espagna eating gelato and watching children play in the fountain. La dolce vita indeed.

In practical terms though, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand would be my bet, particularly Canada. Canada is an up and coming country with so many opportunities. Not that Canda isn't great already, but it stands to be a world economic power if it plays the right cards. Australia's in the same boat.

Still haven't made it to Spain but I've heard it's perfect. Since I'm a nightowl Spanish life is tailor-made for me. I kick myself for not going when my cousin was living there. She married a matador, lived in Mallorca on an olive farm, and had the beach right outside her door. Their divorce disappointed me (or rather my travel plans) no end :wink:.

Yonkers

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I currently live in Sydney (well a few hours out of Sydney), but for me the best place to live would be Vancouver. I've been there 4 times and now it feels like a home-away-from-home.

My other place would be in the Australian Outback.

Yonkers.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I want a 20 million dollar island for myself.. and my family...

I now have this mental image of you in the white suit and a little guy next to you screaming "DA PLANE! DA PLANE!" :biggrin1:

Trust me when I say this from one Midwesterner to another... San Francisco is HIGHLY overrated.

I hear that. I moved from Kansas City, Missouri to San Francisco. I loved San Francisco, but it is not family friendly, real estate is way out of whack there, don't own a car cause you won't be able to park it and if you have to pay, you will need a second mortgage to pay for parking. Cliche'd phrase, but it applies:

Great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having lived in about 9 different countries -- and visited many more -- I would be hard put to pick one country.

My choice is having 3 or 4 different homes.

That way I don't have to choose.

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
San Francisco Bay Area is the best place to live. Housing prices in SF are pretty high compared to other areas, but the quality of life is second to none.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think it much matters. Life is what you make of it.

You take yourself wherever you go.

I think that is so true, one can live in paradise and still find something to complain about, while another can live in hell and not see the ugliness all around.