The Big One?

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
I don't mean to raise the alarm, but over the past week Yellowstone National Park has received several hundred quakes. Is this a precursor to the big one? There is a volcano underneath the park that if it were to explode will put North America into what would be closely described as a nuclear winter. But hey, what happens, happens. There is no stopping mother nature.

unique_exposure

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ital is this something u heard or what? I don't remember seeing anything about this in the news and you'd think if it was a case for worry it's be mentioned somewhere.

The swarm of small earthquakes continues in and around Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho). A total of 257 earthquakes have occurred since December 27, 2008 ranging in magnitude from 0.2 to 3.9. This area typically has 5 earthquakes a day; however, the average has increased to 50 per day during this period. There were only 12 earthquakes recorded on Jan 1. (USGS, Earthquake Hazards Program, Alaska Earthquake Information Center)
From FEMA
FEMA: National Situation Updates

devron

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Denby

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
We all have to go some time and nature has a way of ridding itself of damages done to her.

I think they're in wait-and-see mode. The vulcanologists and geologists who are studying this Leviathan of a volcano theorize that if it were a super-eruption, then we'd be seeing far more deformity of the underlying dome that covers the caldera. The size of the dome is increasing, however (they believe) it is not yet to the point where a super eruption is possible. The big problem is that no scientist alive has been around for a super eruption, nor are they at all certain just what the precursors to one would be.

This is one volcano that will fuck you up no matter where on earth you live.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Doesn't make sense to worry about shit that may not happen.

Pierced7.5

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pretty interesting if you ask me. Nature seems to take over at times and strike horribly when the time is right. I guess it is correct to say you just never know, but we just never knew about Karina. We just never knew about that HUGE quake in Kobe Japan. Hell I live in California and we have had a few good damaging quakes in my life.

So it may be random. It may be whatever you want to call it, but at the end of the day, might as well be prepared for things and know what to do when/if it happens.

P75

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Great! I just booked my vacation and it includes a day in Yellowstone Nat. Pk. Yellowstone is classed as a super volcano, the caldera alone is about 4/5ths the diameter of the park and the last eruption was 640,000 years ago. Not bad considering that this volcano tends to erupt every 600,000 years so it is slightly overdue. When ever it does blow it is claimed to be between 1,000 - 2,500 times the severity of Mount St. Helens back in 1980.

For more info:

Yellowstone Supervolcano

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NZ is fairly Explosive prone
Quakes happen like elsewhere WW
Couple of times a year the seismologists/scientists are asked
-if
-when etc
of course they DONT know
but they do make uttererances ..'that we are due for a BIG one'
(its expected but what the populace dont want to hear)
is it a different BIG one to elsewhere??
--but to cover there asses they say ..'it WILL happen' we just dont know when
WELL of course it will happen we areall bloody aware of it that it will happen at some stage..like a Tsunami or whatever
NATURE is the boss
enz