The Blasphemous Teddy Bear

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So much for cultural understanding. A British Primary school teacher has been jailed in Sudan for asking her class of 7 year olds to name a bear. The class of children chose the name Mohammed. Now the teacher is in jail on charges of ridiculing the prophet Mohammed. She could be publicly beaten and/or serve up to a year in jail. At least the parents are coming to her aid and support.

Once again the idiocy of some misguided people.

Time Magazine: The Blasphemous Teddy Bear

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well my sense of humanity has gone down the drain
Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain
She wrote me a letter and she wrote it so kind
She put down in writing what was in her mind
I just don't see why I should even care
It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Remember the publication of the cartoons depicting Mohammed in the Danish newspapers? We had Muslim men, women and children calling for the extermination of all non-muslims outside the Danish Embassy in London, I walked right past it that day.

I am understanding of religious sensitivities, but sometimes, these sensitivities border on the absolute ridiculous and frankly, horrific.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Once again the idiocy of some misguided people.

Ah, but their religion guides them to make those judgments...

:wink:

(hey, religion is fair game in this thread; the word "blasphemous" is right there in the title)

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The even funnier part is that true Muslims regard Mohammed's name as synonymous with peace and love. I would ask if Mohammed were alive today, would he be offended or honored that a group of young children respected him enough to name a symbol of love, like a teddy bear, after him?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah, but their religion guides them to make those judgments...

:wink:

(hey, religion is fair game in this thread; the word "blasphemous" is right there in the title)

NO, NO, NO! Please do not turn this into a faith bashing thread.

Since you mentioned it, if it represents anything about faith and religion it's that often the worshippers do not see eye to eye with the elders of the faith.

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
it's just been on bbc news - she's getting 40 lashings - seriously. even though it was the kids who voted 20 against 3 for the bear to be named muhammed

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
One hopes that the Government might try to redeem itself somewhat and step in with some harsh leverage here....so, so fucked up.

Always these stories, I'm almost as mad as when Ken Saro Wiwa was executed, I'm praying for redemption here.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
it's just been on bbc news - she's getting 40 lashings - seriously. even though it was the kids who voted 20 against 3 for the bear to be named muhammed

That is insane. I hope someone can stpe in and stop this ridiculous show of power.

I was about to make a thread on this

it's shocking how people are apologising to Islam instead of confronting just how stupid this is

I couldn't agree more. Again, knowing Mohammed was a man who preached peace, love and acceptance, if he is watching from the great beyond, I'd say he is crying at the failure of his teachings.

sortofbigthen

Experimental Member
Media

She's not getting 40 of anything (lashes or "lashings") and the BBC says no such thing - it has given two worst case scenario examples of what could happen.

She'll get released with no punishment to protect diplomatic relations, so you citing fake evidence is the exact way these stories get misreported.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
She's not getting 40 of anything (lashes or "lashings") and the BBC says no such thing - it has given two worst case scenario examples of what could happen.

She'll get released with no punishment to protect diplomatic relations, so you citing fake evidence is the exact way these stories get misreported.

Yes I just read the report, it's a relief, that's if she does get off the hook....(diplomatic relations don't always hit the mark).

No need to bite off the dudes head though, people sometimes misinterpret what they read, as people sometimes make typos. No biggie.

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

my bad then. i though it was on bbc 5live but obviously not. i didn't intend to start a world war or anything. i'm relieved that she's off the hook though. rediculous situation still.