The Blasphemous Teddy Bear

2hung4some

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its a political move by the Sudanese government after the ticking off they got about Darfur! The vast majority of Muslims aren't as narrow minded about this as it seems. Its alot like Bush and Blair working up steam to invade Iraq. I just hope the poor women gets clemency

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Then, a short while, and possibly a show trial later, it can release her 'for being guilty of an innocent mistake and to show 'the compassion of Islam'. Alternatively the clerics may have more control and she will face the lash. My money is on the former.

Either way I expect she'll be conveniently deported. I bet she wishes she'd been teaching in say, Juba.

Well, she was unsurprisingly found 'guilty'. No lashes, 'only' 15 days (less 5 for time served) in the pokey and a swift deportation thereafter, not that 'only' can be fairly applied to a Sudanese jail. The FCO said they're 'dissappointed' so I have to wonder what that verdict cost?

Her lawyer said she will appeal. I suspect that would not only be a waste of time but may run the risk of having a harsher sentence imposed. The school is evidently 'happy' with the verdict. I bet they are. The reaction and hysteria by islamic extremists over this would be hilarious were it not so predictable.

Sudan teddy row teacher jailed

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
the school director said she was lucky to get away with only 15 days in prison, instead of 6 months, lashes and a fine. it's rediculous and childish. the muslim clerics wanted her to get the maximum sentence, claiming she was part of a western plan against islam. fucking idiots is the only thing to say. leading clerics from the UK have said the situation is stupid and only, infairly, worsens the image of islam. they're right.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
These people are savages. They are calling for her to be shot by a firing squad. There are 10,000 protesting in the streets.

They need to tell the good people to leave and then drop bomb on the rest.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
the Sudanese Government can
possibly ...release her 'for being guilty of an innocent mistake and to show 'the compassion of Islam'.
...I expect she'll be conveniently deported. I bet she wishes she'd been teaching in say, Juba.

And right you were dong20.:smile:

She's free! Hooray!

And hooray for the president of Sudan!:party2:

British teacher flies out of Sudan after pardon

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have to respect people's cultures and laws and understand the laws that govern the country you live in ... this means things such as what this woman did are in fact inexcusable, because all it takes is investment. Every country is entitled to its own laws and regulations ...

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
To a point SBB.

Though there are several reasons to conclude that the outrage is disingenuous in this case.

We have the power to vote with our feet as it were. Apartheid, female genital mutilation, child labour, slavery, sex slavery etc etc

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To a point SBB.

Though there are several reasons to conclude that the outrage is disingenuous in this case.

I agree, and as you say (and Dreamer20 did earlier) this was 'outrage' of a contrived nature aimed at supporting a xenophobic religious agenda on the part of hard liners within the Sudanese government - as opposed to the more usual genuine moral kind such as that expressed in the toddler murder thread.

At least for the most part that's how I saw it.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You have to respect people's cultures and laws and understand the laws that govern the country you live in ... this means things such as what this woman did are in fact inexcusable, because all it takes is investment. Every country is entitled to its own laws and regulations ...

I agree with the "When in Rome..." path you lay out, but where is the responsibility of the citizenry? Anybody who has half an iota about Western culture knows Teddy Bears are a sign of love. That said where was someone to tell her "You shouldn't do that as it is seen as an insult to the prophet."

No one said that and had they said it, I am sure that Gillian would have taken it into account and even educated her class who voted the name on this issue. Instead some vendictive fired secretary gets a hair up her butt to "close the school down" (those were her words), makes this report and starts an international incident that makes an already reviled country twice as reviled because of their religious fundamentalists wanting this woman killed over something that could have been prevented with a simple nudge and a chat with the teacher. Did I also mention that this idiot former secretary tried to get some of the parents that were concerned to file complaints and they flat out refused to be a part of it. What does that say about this incident? It would appear the parents and children were more adult about this than the government and the school staff.

So I say yes, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. However, if the Romans see you faltering, they should assist you by telling you what Romans do.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I say yes, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. However, if the Romans see you faltering, they should assist you by telling you what Romans do.

I agree, but I guess it's far less fun than railing hysterically against the infidel. This debacle had (almost) nothing to do with Islam and (almost) everything to do with personal Bête noire.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yup. This whole situation is just pathetic. If some arab came to England and called a teddy Jesus, nobody would care! We might think them a little weird, but apart from that, no-one would give a shit.
They really need to chill out! Its only a name?!

True, but only recently. I would imagine that if someone had tried that one hundred years ago in England, more than a few people would have given a shit. I think it was only in the last two hundred years that Christians stopped burning witches. I bet if Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell were in charge we would have the cane, the whip, and the noose. Pat would probably find them useful to punish all the sinners he plans on cleaning out of the towns along I-35!

Fundamentalism sucks.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
True, but only recently. I would imagine that if someone had tried that one hundred years ago in England, more than a few people would have given a shit. I think it was only in the last two hundred years that Christians stopped burning witches. I bet if Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell were in charge we would have the cane, the whip, and the noose. Pat would probably find them useful to punish all the sinners he plans on cleaning out of the towns along I-35!

Fundamentalism sucks.

Almost certainly true, but because no-one alive today is able to remember those days, such nuggets tend to be overlooked in the West's desire to appear morally superior.

The last witchcraft execution in England was in 1684 though it continued in Scotland until 1722 (and Austria until almost 1790!). The last woman to be burned alive in England was in 1685 - for treason. The last such execution (for counterfeiting!!) was in 1789 though she was hung 'first' before being burned. The practice was banned in 1790.

Compared to much of Europe burning for witchcraft was actually quite seldom used.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just heard this on the news... Quote:
After the confusion in Sudan over the bear, the teacher has decided to delay publication of her new book 'Allah is a cunt' until all the fuss dies down.