The Blood That Moves The Body

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Gillette, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a question, more for the growers than the showers I guess.
    And I'm not asking to be facetious.

Where does the blood come from to effect such a dramatic change in volume?

Do you notice any other changes?
    Do you feel other extemities getting cold, tingling?

Or is it, as the character Ling from Ally McBeal describes it, the dumb stick, sucking circulation directly from the brain?

Ok, maybe a wee bit facetious.

2. Chuck64

Gold Member

The blood comes from all over your body. The arteries (flowing in to the penis) dilate. The veins (flowing out of the penis) constrict. The spongy tissue around the arteries fills with blood.

It's household plumbing. You have one pump and a whole bunch of pipes. If you run the dishwasher and washing machine downstairs, you'll have less pressure in the shower (especially upstairs). Same concept.

3. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I was under the impression when at rest, your body wasn't 'using' all your blood (i.e not using all the oxygen it's carrying to power muscles and organs), this is why you don't have to breathe as hard at rest, because you don't have to reoxygenate as much blood.

So from rest getting an erection wouldn't affect anything, because the man has enough blood to carry the required oxygen to his other systems anyway.

I think if other systems suddenly required much more oxygen (for example an unexpected threat induces a 'fight or flight' response), the man will lose his erection as blood is pumped to carry more oxygen required by the brain and muscles in order to fight or flee.

Of course I'm not educated in medicine or biology beyond a high school level so I could be talking complete bollocks, some more knowledgable person please correct me if I'm wrong. I was just under the impression that's the way it worked.

4. sgop

sgop New Member

No but Chuck's right: it's not a question of more oxygen being needed/used in the erection, it is simply a case of the existing volume of blood flowing round more plumbing (actually the venous blood being prevented from returning to the veins which eventually return it to the heart, to be pumped round again). There is sufficient elastic capacity in the arteries to allow for changes in flow volume. After all, when you get hot and sweaty huge quantities of blood move into the capilliaries near the skin surface to cool the blood down, ditto when you blush, so I suspect the actual change in circulated blood volume before/after an erection - even for the most blessed member of this forum - isn't that great.
    When the heart rate speeds up it doesn't actually pump more blood, just the same total volume of blood in the system faster

5. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I wasn't saying oxygen was required by your erection, I was just saying whilst the blood is in your erect penis it can't be used to deliver oxygen anywhere else, so there is less available to deliver oxygen in total, but meh, like I said I'm no expert. What you said about the amount of blood being required for an erection being small compared to other phisiological changes makes sense though

Draft saved Draft deleted