The Bloody French!!

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
I'm really pissed off that the french didn't invite HM the Queen to the 65th anniversary of the D-day landings. :mad: I find it incredibly disrespectful to our country considering we were a large part of the force that liberated them (for the second bloody time).

Especially as she is the only head of state concerned who actually remembers the event and served in the armed forces herself leading up to it.

Having lost family members to its cause, I just hope our contribution in Europe is not being forgotten.
Just wondered if any one feels the same... I may just be ranting. lol

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Sorry to hear, didn't know. But that is indeed unfair, because you guys were indeed a huge contribution at those times. Keep in mind that many still know that here, really, remember Ypres, really mate. People don't forget quickly. Those who are lost will always be remembered.

Last edited:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OH THOSE DAMNED FRENCH!

Can't trust a one of them. And they think they're all that too!

signed,

The original franchophile

Il me semble les Anglais sont arrivés! :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She went to the 60th along with (for the first time) German and Russian Heads of State ... and presumably will attend the 70th. Does she need to attend them all?

MYDEEPTHROAT

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
***French Joke***

The elderly American gentleman arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he fumbled for his passport.

"You 'ave been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically. The old gent admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Zen, you should know enough to 'ave your passport ready for inspection."

The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. You Americans alwayz 'ave to show your passports on arrival in France!"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained.

"Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44, I couldn't find any Frenchmen to show it to."

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think there are reasons why Her Majesty has not been invited - including that Gordon Brown did not put it in hand and/or push for it.

But yes I'm pretty shocked that she is not there. She is head of state of both UK and Canada, and the British and Canadian troops made up three of the five Normandy beaches. They were led by her father - who got himself out to Normandy when the front line was less than five miles back from the beaches, and against advice. She herself served in uniform during the second world war. She represents the British and Canadian troops in a very special way. She should be there.

And yes I blame the French too. They should know better, and however it has happened it is a snub.

My plan is that we subsidise day returns through the Channel tunnel from Calais to London so that it makes economic sense for London commuters to live in Calais. Then we get an English mayor elected in Calais and advance a claim that Calais is an English city seized by force in 1558, and we want it back.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is it not possible that the french are just toning down the event....as time moves on it will eventually not be celebrated anyway, its a long time to pass and efforts of the british and canadians etc etc have been honored before on previous celebrations.
I dont think its a big deal....and as an englishman with french blood i will not hold them in contempt lol

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My plan is that we subsidise day returns through the Channel tunnel from Calais to London so that it makes economic sense for London commuters to live in Calais. Then we get an English mayor elected in Calais and advance a claim that Calais is an English city seized by force in 1558, and we want it back.

I know you're joking but there's at least one serious drawback to that plan. :rolleyes:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Is it not possible that the french are just toning down the event....as time moves on it will eventually not be celebrated anyway, its a long time to pass and efforts of the british and canadians etc etc have been honored before on previous celebrations.
I dont think its a big deal....and as an englishman with french blood i will not hold them in contempt lol

I don't think that they want to tone down the event. Such events are tradition, but also important to always remember at what happend back then. It's showing respect, but also showing too the world and the next generations what happend back then, how many lives got lost without purpose. It's the same as in Ypres, Belgium. Every single evening day they play the last post under the 'Menenpoort' for remembering the soldiers. And every evening many people come there to show respect.

It's strange that the Queen didn't attend the event, don't know the facts but I hope they don't make that mistake again in the future.
It's a tradition like wearing poppies.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If Sarkozy could take his nose out of Obama's ass long enough to look around, he'd see, in the words of Rachel Marsdon, that "the cemeterial scoreboard for this “Franco-American” event, in and around Normandy: 9,386 American, 17,769 British, 5,002 Canadian and 650 Poles. That’s 22,771 for the Queen (uninvited), and 9,386 for Obama (invited)."

Neither the Prime Minister of Canada or the Governor General were invite either.

I agree. As someone who has family buried in Normandy, I think it's shameful on the part of the French government, how this has been handled.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know you're joking but there's at least one serious drawback to that plan. :rolleyes:

Of course Dong20 is right - the plan to claim Calais is not nearly ambitious enough. Queen Elizabeth is Duke of Normandy (yes, Duke), and in the part of the dukedom still under British rule (the Channel Islands) she is "La Reine notre Duc". So shall we say Normandy plus Calais? Or should we be more ambitious? :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Of course Dong20 is right - the plan to claim Calais is not nearly ambitious enough. Queen Elizabeth is Duke of Normandy (yes, Duke), and in the part of the dukedom still under British rule (the Channel Islands) she is "La Reine notre Duc". So shall we say Normandy plus Calais? Or should we be more ambitious? :biggrin1:

There is that, I suppose, but what I meant was that your plan would likely involve living in Calais. Have you been to Calais ...?

B_Artful Dodger

Experimental Member
Media
Maybe they just found out our royal family is German!

Haha, maybe so :rolleyes:

No, as they have invited Obama (who's never done anythin and has very little to do with it in comparison...). I also find the thought of not bothering to celebrate quite offensive.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Haha, maybe so :rolleyes:

No, as they have invited Obama (who's never done anythin and has very little to do with it in comparison...). I also find the thought of not bothering to celebrate quite offensive.

The Royal Navy could take the HMS Victory out of mothballs, and send it over to bombard the coast of Normandy.

(wow, my post went through, that hasn't happened for @ a month, despite many tries)

Last edited:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Royal Navy could take the HMS Victory out of mothballs, and send it over to bombard the coast of Normandy.

It may surprise a few to know HMS Victory was never officially decommissioned and remains a serving naval warship. I know it surprised me when I learned that back in class.

The spririt of Nelson lives on ...

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Brits along with Canada and other Commonwealth Countries that participated in D-Day could have their own ceremony but on the British side in one of the ports the troops left from. And they could invite Sarkosy but make sure his invitation gets lost in the mail.

On second thought invite Sarkosy so he will be embarrassed.

Last edited:

Reallyonlyme

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is that, I suppose, but what I meant was that your plan would likely involve living in Calais. Have you been to Calais ...?

I have, and I got your joke! :biggrin1:

The other downside is that would mean all the illegals the French let hang about (cos they know they are all trying to get to the UK anyway) will then be in UK territory and will immediately start demanding housing, feeding and flat screen TVs!