Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Went to see this last week. Have any other LPSG peeps been to see this by any chance? (Might be a long shot, but I know there are a few New Yorkers and a few other Londoners on this site).

My verdict: an enjoyable performance with some hilarious gags and songs.

Reactions: rtg

Beedie Tijii

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Enjoyed the show long while back when I saw it. I actually felt it portrayed the subject matter far better than it should have
Yeah, apparently a lot of Mormons actually love the show, which is an odd one. I think at best the writers show a kind of condescending, calculated amusement and slight warmth for the simplicity of the latter-day lifestyle. But they still quite bluntly call the church out for the racist doctrine it held until 1978, when apparently, god changed his mind about black people.

Matt and Trey already roasted the Joseph Smith story in South Park of course... dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum dumb.

Reactions: rtg

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Went to see this last week. Have any other LPSG peeps been to see this by any chance? (Might be a long shot, but I know there are a few New Yorkers and a few other Londoners on this site).

My verdict: an enjoyable performance with some hilarious gags and songs.
I saw this when I was in New York a couple of years ago. Loved it! Was so funny and definitely classic SouthPark style.

ozwestcoastboy

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Saw the London production in 2014. Underwhelmed. As a piece of contemporary musical theatre it clearly ticks the right boxes for audiences unschooled/unfamiliar with the great Broadway shows of the past. But despite its quite phenomenal success on Broadway and the West End, it wouldn't even make my TOP 100 BEST EVER BROADWAY MUSICALS . . . It's clever but it's soulless and it doesn't contain a single hit song . . .

Reactions: saturnbaby11

Beedie Tijii

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Saw the London production in 2014. Underwhelmed. As a piece of contemporary musical theatre it clearly ticks the right boxes for audiences unschooled/unfamiliar with the great Broadway shows of the past. But despite its quite phenomenal success on Broadway and the West End, it wouldn't even make my TOP 100 BEST EVER BROADWAY MUSICALS . . . It's clever but it's soulless and it doesn't contain a single hit song . . .
I'd totally forgotten I'd posted this thread and just found it again.

I'm definitely one of those 'unschooled' types you mention. Much of the time, I'm not sure if I 'get' musicals; if I'm going to go somewhere purely to be entertained by some music I'd really rather see a music concert or be at a festival. An injection of shock-humor and a non-conventional subject matter made it all the more enjoyable for me, even though I realize there are musicals with catchier and/or more sophisticated musical compositions.

Having had a couple of weeks to reflect, I also think that the writing, on the whole, was missing the pointed irony and satirical subtext of South Park at its finest, although it kept me chuckling at the time.

It occurs to me there are probably opera aficionados who look down upon Broadway/West End shows as too low-brow, and I can't freakin' STAND opera. It is just dire.

What would you recommend from your 'top 100' for someone who is occasionally intrigued by musical theatre but would probably not see the value of something too conventional?

Reactions: ozwestcoastboy

ozwestcoastboy

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'd totally forgotten I'd posted this thread and just found it again.

I'm definitely one of those 'unschooled' types you mention. Much of the time, I'm not sure if I 'get' musicals; if I'm going to go somewhere purely to be entertained by some music I'd really rather see a music concert or be at a festival. An injection of shock-humor and a non-conventional subject matter made it all the more enjoyable for me, even though I realize there are musicals with catchier and/or more sophisticated musical compositions.

Having had a couple of weeks to reflect, I also think that the writing, on the whole, was missing the pointed irony and satirical subtext of South Park at its finest, although it kept me chuckling at the time.

It occurs to me there are probably opera aficionados who look down upon Broadway/West End shows as too low-brow, and I can't freakin' STAND opera. It is just dire.

What would you recommend from your 'top 100' for someone who is occasionally intrigued by musical theatre but would probably not see the value of something too conventional?

Great to get your post in response to mine. My 'god' is Stephen Sondheim, so I'd start with INTO THE WOODS and graduate to SWEENEY TODD by way of COMPANY, MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG and PASSION . . . Beyond Sondheim, definitely HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING and the work of William Finn, including MARCH OF THE FALSETTOS. So many fine works out there with depth and artistry far beyond MORMON . . . Enjoy the exploration . . . Let me know your thoughts . . .

Reactions: Beedie Tijii
D

deleted931509

I am a big fan of South Park and I watched this with a rather prudish friend - in 2014 in London. I don't know but although most of it was funny it did touch on some subject matter which was just sick. I was embarassed to have brought someone like her. This show should definitely come with a warning, even for a liberal douche like me.