The Book Topic

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Inspired by Pumblechooks Movie thread....name your books in these categories:

Favourite Books of all Time: Patrick Suskind 'Perfume'/any of the Tom Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith/'The Teachings of Don Juan' by Carlos Castaneda/'Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah' by Richard Bach.

Best I've Ever Read
: The 6 'Lord of the Rings' books by J R R Tolkien/'Tales of the City'..all 6 of them by Armistead Maupin/'The Chronicles of Narnia' by C S Lewis.

Most Liked Recent Book: 'Endurance' by Alfred Lansing, awesome book about Shackletons incredible journey to the Antartic, packed with original photographs taken by the ships photographer....cannot recommend this book enough.

Last Good Book I Read: 'A Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking

Worst Book of All Time
: tricky one, I always give up on bad ones....

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm having some difficulty seeing the difference between the first two categories, as well as the 3rd and 4th categories. If it's the best you ever read how can it not also be a favorite?

I'll second Richard Bach's "Illusions" and add "Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

I'm also tickled pink by anything from Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Dean R Koontz, and new favorite Tim Dorsey(A must read series for those with a twisted sense of humour).

Similarly, "NOT The End Of The World", Christopher Brookmyre.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gillette said:
I'm having some difficulty seeing the difference between the first two categories, as well as the 3rd and 4th categories. If it's the best you ever read how can it not also be a favorite?

I'm also tickled pink by anything from Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Dean R Koontz, and new favorite Tim Dorsey.

Ah, it's just a bit of fun, like the Movie Topic post, it's good to post as many books as you can I guess, I'm hoping to spot some that I haven't read, and go out, buy and read them. So without further cynicism...post those books!

(Love Douglas Adams myself, also thought they did a good job of the film 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'...for those Brits who watched the original BBC tv serialisation of the book, was good to see the producers and directors stayed close to Adams vision, and that of the tv series back in the 80s).

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gillette said:

I'm also tickled pink by anything from Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Dean R Koontz, and new favorite Tim Dorsey(A must read series for those with a twisted sense of humour).

Simmilarly, "NOT The End Of The World", Christopher Brookmyre.

Much like the movie thread, usually the "favorite" would be the movie "you like the most" and what you would call "the best" is the movie that actually "means the most." I.E. my favorite movie is Caddyshack, which has some meaning, but mostly is an excellent comedy. The best I've seen is About Schmidt, as it gives a very truthful outlook on the meaning of an older man's life.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Pumblechook said:
Much like the movie thread, usually the "favorite" would be the movie "you like the most" and what you would call "the best" is the movie that actually "means the most." I.E. my favorite movie is Caddyshack, which has some meaning, but mostly is an excellent comedy. The best I've seen is About Schmidt, as it gives a very truthful outlook on the meaning of an older man's life.

How about your books Pumbie....let us in on your book habits! :rolleyes::wink::biggrin1:

Pumblechook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Favorite: Three Kingdoms (Luo Guanzhong/Moss Roberts)

Best: The Complete I Ching/The Numerology of the I Ching (Alfred Huang)

Most Recent/Last: The Knucklebook (Dave Clark)

Worst: *puts up Jane Austen fanatic defense shields* Pride and Prejudice

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fiction: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Blindness by Jose Saramago, Beloved by Toni Morrison, Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy . . . i'd better stop.

Non-fiction: Man and his Symbols, The Undiscovered Self, and Memories, Dreams and Reflections by Carl Jung, How We Believe: The Search for God in the Age of Reason by Michael Shermer, The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettleheim.

Most recent fiction favorites: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.

Most recent non-fiction favorites: Plan B: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No please continue! I feel an LPSG book club developing...

mercurialbliss said:
Fiction: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Blindness by Jose Saramago, Beloved by Toni Morrison, Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy . . . i'd better stop.

Non-fiction: Man and his Symbols, The Undiscovered Self, and Memories, Dreams and Reflections by Carl Jung, How We Believe: The Search for God in the Age of Reason by Michael Shermer, The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettleheim.

Most recent fiction favorites: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.

Most recent non-fiction favorites: Plan B: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
mercurialbliss said:

Wow -this could almost have been my list! I also recently read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and really appreciated it. I read Tolkien as a young child, and so nothing can really take his place in my heart. In my adult life, Toni Morrison holds the crown and inspired me to get a degree in literature. I just finished her latest novel, Love. Also have to give a shout to The Lover by Marguerite Duras, another hauntingly beautiful work.

MattMatt

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Favourite Books of all Time
Anne Rice; Exit To Eden, The claiming of sleeping beauty, Beauty's punishment, Beauty's realease.
Lucifers Hammer by L Niven

Best I've Ever Read:
same as above

Most Liked Recent Book
The DaVinci code

Last Good Book I Read
memoirs of a Geisha

Worst book of all time
Kamasutra what a waste of time.... this book is useless for anyone over 18.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
MattMatt said:
Favourite Books of all Time
Anne Rice; Exit To Eden, The claiming of sleeping beauty, Beauty's punishment, Beauty's realease.
Lucifers Hammer by L Niven

Best I've Ever Read:
same as above

Most Liked Recent Book
The DaVinci code

Last Good Book I Read
memoirs of a Geisha

Worst book of all time
Kamasutra what a waste of time.... this book is useless for anyone over 18.

Lucifer's Hammer was amazing. Have you read any of his other work?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
GoneA said:
Oprah is apart of everything ... let me be very clear on that point. :wink:

The woman was a part of everything, until the Beef thing.

Speaking of books....

I am adding to the list. Like gillete, I enjoy Dean Koontz novels. I recently finished my all-time favourite books. The Dark Tower Series from Stephen King. It is some great writing, and the first time I cried during a book.

I like other books too.:tongue:

eyemready

Sexy Member
Media
eddyabs said:
Inspired by Pumblechooks Movie thread....name your books in these categories:

Favourite Books of all Time: Patrick Suskind 'Perfume'/any of the Tom Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith/'The Teachings of Don Juan' by Carlos Castaneda/'Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah' by Richard Bach.

Best I've Ever Read: The 6 'Lord of the Rings' books by J R R Tolkien/'Tales of the City'..all 6 of them by Armistead Maupin/'The Chronicles of Narnia' by C S Lewis.

Most Liked Recent Book: 'Endurance' by Alfred Lansing, awesome book about Shackletons incredible journey to the Antartic, packed with original photographs taken by the ships photographer....cannot recommend this book enough.

Last Good Book I Read: 'A Brief History of Time' by Stephen Hawking

Worst Book of All Time: tricky one, I always give up on bad ones....

err...eddy...I can recite Shakespeare with your big cock in my mouth.

MattMatt

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
jakeatolla said:
Lucifer's Hammer was amazing. Have you read any of his other work?

No I havent, but Im always on the lookout for it :smile:

I always thought they tried to make it into a movie.. THE POSTMAN..(?). (Kevin Costner)but failed miserably. I never confirmed wether it was actually based on that book. It was the most awsome end-of -the-world novel I have ever read.