The Boondocks

Steamboy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, I may be a little slow on the uptake, but I have just discovered this show and I have to say that I became immediately addicted after one show!

Um... is it Ok?

I feel a little dirty, like I'm indulging in some very taboo activity. I mean, the language! I understand the concept of inculturation and that words only have the power we give them, but I can't ignore 30-some-odd years of training that these words are a serious no-no.

Anyway, the episode I caught was entitled 'Killer Kung-Fu Wolf Bitch.' I did some wiki-searching and found that I could rent the episodes. I dashed off straight away to the local Blockbuster and had a little Saturday afternoon marathon.

I love the show.

Does that make me bad?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The Boondocks is one of the only cartoons worth watching on TV. I actually watch this more than Family Guy because of its sharp, social satire. Season One is more memorable than Season Two, but every episode has its moments where it shines. Too bad two episodes (including the BET episode) had to be banned before they were aired.

Steamboy: That's one of the better episodes of Season Two. I can watch the part where the crazy woman describe the type of dogs she has at home everytime and start laughing. "I got one dalmantion, two retrievers... Oh, and 15 WOLVES!!!!!!"

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I typically find the show funny.

I haven't been too disappointed. I think the first season was more, "OMG THEY DID THIS ON TV!!!" and the second season is, "Ok...I guess they can do that on TV."

It's the same thing really, just not as shocking as before because it's been done. It's still mildly entertaining to me.

Steamboy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Boondocks is one of the only cartoons worth watching on TV. I actually watch this more than Family Guy because of its sharp, social satire. Season One is more memorable than Season Two, but every episode has its moments where it shines. Too bad two episodes (including the BET episode) had to be banned before they were aired.

Steamboy: That's one of the better episodes of Season Two. I can watch the part where the crazy woman describe the type of dogs she has at home everytime and start laughing. "I got one dalmantion, two retrievers... Oh, and 15 WOLVES!!!!!!"

The bit where they had the wicked Bruce Lee Kung-Fu sound effects every-time the Kuma-Tay was mentioned had me on the floor wetting my pants. I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard. :biggrin1:

Steamboy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, since everyone seems to be handling the subject in an educated manner, I have some questions.

First, the use of the 'N' word in the show. My question pertains to the many different pronunciations I have heard throughout the show, from the seemingly standard 'nigga' of the Freemans to the strange pronunciation used by Col. Stinkmeaner which sounds almost like 'nyeka.' Are these regional pronunciations? Are some pronunciations more 'hood' than others? (to quote a line from the show)

Second, I realize that archetypes are always going to be exaggerated in a cartoon environment, but does Rukus really exist out there?

Speaking of Col. Stinkmeanor; If he went blind at the age of 15, how did he become a Col?

Steamboy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok, since everyone seems to be handling the subject in an educated manner, I have some questions.

First, the use of the 'N' word in the show. My question pertains to the many different pronunciations I have heard throughout the show, from the seemingly standard 'nigga' of the Freemans to the strange pronunciation used by Col. Stinkmeaner which sounds almost like 'nyeka.' Are these regional pronunciations? Are some pronunciations more 'hood' than others? (to quote a line from the show)

Second, I realize that archetypes are always going to be exaggerated in a cartoon environment, but does Rukus really exist out there?

Speaking of Col. Stinkmeanor; If he went blind at the age of 15, how did he become a Col?

I know this is a flagrant thread bump, but I was really hoping for some response to my questions before this thread scrolled off into oblivion.:redface:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know this is a flagrant thread bump, but I was really hoping for some response to my questions before this thread scrolled off into oblivion.:redface:
Seriously? Regional pronunciation differences.
Like any other word, how someone pronounces it in Cleveland is generally different form say, NOLA or Providence. I think Magruder creates characters that use different regional dialects, like Uncle whatever is kinda southern and uncle tomish.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Lol...actually, yes.

"Nilkah" sounds more "buck". That makes no sense to you, I'm sure...but it's definitely a...err...cultural thing.
Uncle Ruckus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This should explain all. Ruckus is derived from Uncle Tom or Uncle Remus. Black stereotypes from post-slavery.
You're thinking about it too hard.
I 2nd that.

Less political, drama, and less immorality.
I like the show better. I like the political commentary and I think it's very moral. It's just not political correct.