"The Boys In The Band"

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Not sure if I posted this previously but if anyone is interested, TCM will be showing "The Boys In The Band" the last of this month. I have the date and time written down somewhere and have my DVD recorder ready to record.
Unfortunately, this gay classic was only available on VHS and never on DVD.
I'll post more info later.

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is a self-loathing classic! Remember when we all thought it was profound?

Things have changed so much! Remember how awful and bitchy some people were back then? God bless these young gays, they have much more self-esteem. I just wish some of them knew their history better...

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
June 25th begins one minute after 23:59 or 11:59pm on June 24th.

yw:smile:

Just to clarify, it is early THAT morning (25th), not the next (26th)

and I've never heard of this movie.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's an interesting film for two reasons. First off it shows where we queers were back then and how far many have come in the more than 35 years since.

The biggest seller for me in this film has still got to be Laurence Luckinbill. I fell madly in lust with him back then and--

--huh? Yes, I fell in lust with him. Act surprised everyone--

Luckinbill later appeared in a very sexy way as Spock's half brother Sybok in Star Trek-V.

Does anyone have any nekkid pictures of Luckinbill (without either of those women he made the mistake of marrying--it's known he really wanted me. It is known, isn't it?)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remember these biting lines at the end of the film.

Harold to Michael: What I am Michael is a 32 year-old, ugly, pock marked Jew fairy, and if it takes me a little while to pull myself together, and if I smoke a little grass before I get up the nerve to show my face to the world, it's nobody's god damned business but my own. And how are you this evening?

Harold to Michael: You're a sad and pathetic man. You're a homosexual and you don't want to be, but there's nothing you can do to change it. Not all the prayers to your god, not all the analysis you can buy in all the years you've go left to live. You may one day be able to know a heterosexual life if you want it desperately enough. If you pursue it with the fervor with which you annihilate. But you'll always be homosexual as well. Always Michael. Always. Until the day you die.

Where did all the campy bitchy queens retreat to? They were oh so fun.

I don't resent the movie, how ever self-loathing it may appear now but it was the first movie about gay men exclusively. It opened the doors for other gay-positive movies to be made. We stand on the shoulders of early gay pioneers. A journey of 100,000 steps....

carlton10

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A guy at a resort I go to from time to time said Frederick Combs who starred in Boys in The Band and he met in Provincetown many years ago and the guy I know ,who is well hung. remembered that Frederick was the only guy he ever fucked that sat on his dick and it slid iin very fast and quick and he had no problem with his length and girth -Frederick BTW died of Aids in the 90's