The Bread, Wine, Cheese Thread

High maintenance..... just as I suspected.

For me:

1. Wasa bread

2. Camembert (with a green grape)

3. Tawny Port 20+ years

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm a plain-old baguette guy, myself, but always loved the treat of a Pain Viennois on Saturday mornings when the budget allowed. Bread, as they say in French, is sacred.

I like Cotes-du-Rhones and Minervois a lot, but will never turn away a grand cru.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...cheese! I was on a no-fat diet for many years because a certain medication I was taking prevented my body from absorbing fat correctly, and was unable to enjoy. Now that I no longer take that medication, I can eat Port Salut (my fave) again.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1. Baguette (Only found in Paris, France preferably in the 15e)

2. A nice Bordeaux

3. Fourme d'Ambert

Lord, do I miss the bread and cheese in Paris. There are no real baguettes outside of France.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wood fired Sourdough, thick slices grilled over dried grape vine trimmings, drizzled with new season extra virgin olive oil and rubbed with a garlic clove.

Jabcobs Creek - St.Hugo Cab/Sav 2002.

Smoked vintage cheddar or a soft blue cheese.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For bread, I'm going with Dragonfly's garlic Italian sourdough with EVOO...although a Venezuelan ladyfriend of mine makes arepas to die for.

Wine is a toss-up between a Brunello di Montalcino or a good Gran Riserva Rioja.

Cheese is also a flip between an herbed chevre or ripe sottocenere.

1. Baguette (Only found in Paris, France preferably in the 15e)

2. A nice Bordeaux

3. Fourme d'Ambert

Lord, do I miss the bread and cheese in Paris. There are no real baguettes outside of France.

The sad truth is there's no cheese in the US. Our laws require cheese to be pasteurized for import and it absolutely RUINS the flavor of the soft cheeses. You can get better cheese under the table from a local farmer than you can from the oldest fromageries in France.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The sad truth is there's no cheese in the US. Our laws require cheese to be pasteurized for import and it absolutely RUINS the flavor of the soft cheeses. You can get better cheese under the table from a local farmer than you can from the oldest fromageries in France.

Actually, Jason. If you go to a Trader Joe's you will find extra-sharp aged cheddar made from raw milk from New York. It's $4.99 a pound but it's really worth it. (It's a grocery store chain from California that seems to be spreading across the US. It's in Illinois.)

I agree about the sad state of cheese here, if your State doesn't allow cheeses made with raw milk to be sold. California and Illinois allow it. You really have to look for it.

The Fourme d'Ambert that I love is only found in France, unfortunately. I've tried to find something like it here, and alas, no. At least I can get a decent Bordeaux...

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Bump..this thread is the most wonderful in a little while...come on food freaks..double post or multi post if you must.

Actually, Jason. If you go to a Trader Joe's you will find extra-sharp aged cheddar made from raw milk from New York. It's $4.99 a pound but it's really worth it. (It's a grocery store chain from California that seems to be spreading across the US. It's in Illinois.)

I agree about the sad state of cheese here, if your State doesn't allow cheeses made with raw milk to be sold. California and Illinois allow it. You really have to look for it.

The Fourme d'Ambert that I love is only found in France, unfortunately. I've tried to find something like it here, and alas, no. At least I can get a decent Bordeaux...

You typed that just as I was indulging in a Trader Joe's Barbecue Chicken Pizza. Synchronicity is sweet, no? New York is fucked but we do make the best cheddars in the country. I'll agree with you there. Still, it's no substitute for the grand cheeses you can get abroad.

I hope to get out there next year and visit for a bit. Please be sure to introduce me to all this stuff because I'm hopeless with wine. Remember if I forget it. :smile:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
There are some live cheese in my fridge. They're growing on old slices of cheese. And once I found my yogurt had gone bad with some green slime on the top.

I also enjoy sheep cheeses.

Side note: in the Wallace and Gromit movie, there's a reference to "Stinking Bishop" cheese. Actual cheese. You can google it up. After the film came out, they sold their entire stock.

There are some live cheese in my fridge. They're growing on old slices of cheese. And once I found my yogurt had gone bad with some green slime on the top.

I also enjoy sheep cheeses.

Side note: in the Wallace and Gromit movie, there's a reference to "Stinking Bishop" cheese. Actual cheese. You can google it up. After the film came out, they sold their entire stock.

If Stinking Bishop refers to what I think it does..... oh man...

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1. I fucking love bread. Don't make me pick just one. Oh wait, okay, I will. Puri. It wins because anything deep fried that looks like an alien or a jellyfish and tastes good is fucking cool.

2. I pushed a pretty good Vouvray onto Bliss on my birthday. The first time I had a Vouvray was in a cave in Vouvray getting drunk with my professors, so I have to pick it for the wine and the experience.

3. Stilton drizzled with honey. Also, brie with jalapeno jelly.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Bread and cheese, fucking beautiful....the tops.

Irish Soda Bread
A decent Rioja (although I'd rather have a pint of our Pubs home brewed ale/bitter Crooked Furrow!)
Y Fenni (welsh beer and mustard cheese)
OR
Unpasteurised Mature Montgomery Cheddar...

SCHLUUURPP!

http://www.ploughinn.com

Last edited:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Bread: The Bewley's cafe near where I lived as a child used to make a small wholemeal loaf they sold as "Jogger's Loaf" - it was just the right balance of substantial and fluffy and extremely tasty. No Bewley's seem to make it anymore but it will always be my favourite bread - though not really a cheese bread. For soft cheese I like the baguette campagne they do in the next village over, for blue cheese I've always prefered crackers, something basic.

Wine: Errazuriz Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva (yes, I know, I live in France and I pick a Chilean wine, but it really is special - can't seem to get it here - not here in the sticks anyhow)

Cheese: Roquefort (or a really ripe Brie, if I have no crackers :wink:)