The Budget

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Adrian69702006, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

Any UK members here feeling robbed by the Budget? I certainly do. Earning less than 18k and unable to claim Working Families Tax Credit - because I'm a single guy who works his butt off - I've worked out that if anything I'm likely to be worse off. Cutting the basic rate of Income Tax to 20p in the £ has been largely paid for by scrapping the 10p starting rate. Also, I fail to understand why he's put a penny on a pint of beer, 5p on a bottle of wine and, for the tenth year running, no extra duty of spirits. Does he imagine that that most of the problems encountered in town centres at night, especially at weekends are caused by people who've indulged in the civilsed pleasure of a glass of wine with their dinner? If he does, perhaps Mr Brown might care to join the rest of us on planet Earth for a change.:mad:

2. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

I guess I must be the only one who's feeling robbed as a result of Gordon Brown's actions on Wednesday then.....

3. dong20

Gold Member

No, but then I am better off as a result. I would be happy to be the same or even a bit worse off if it meant we could address, I mean really address some of the root problems of both public services and social division but of course as well all know the votes (and plight) of the poor, the sick and the elderly count for less than a catchy headline.

4. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'm feeling vaguely scammed by the Harper/McGuinty budgets here. Absolutely nothing for single people. Nothing, although there is lots of brib- er, cash, for Quebec. Plenty of credits for people with kids, though... I'm sure my friends who have children will be sending me the thank-you card for subsidizing their childcare expenses any day now... :rolleyes:

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

RJR, if you are going to be making nasty statements about Quebec, shouldn't you post in English AND French, with the French posted above, and in a larger font, than the English?

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

So are you saying that families with children find it difficult to actually claim the benefits promised? Implying that the average family w/ kids won't be getting as much as was stated?

Thanks - that makes me feel a bit better. :smile:

7. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Hey, I love Quebec. If I didn't, why would I be involuntarily investing so much money there?

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I'm all in favour of helping people who genuinely need it.

However, I have friends who are in the same income bracket as me, and whose spouses are in the same income bracket as me. Why should I be subsidizing their families?

9. D_Garmanswait Glassnads

I'm sorry but I have no knowledge of the budget in the UK, I've watched it on the news but as a teenager have overlooked something imortant to me as an english citizen.

My mother never really coped as a single parent with two children, my sister thus became my mother and my mother became a money maker. As the youngest I had it the easiest because they kept the problems away from innocent ears but I nontheless catched on that we were poor, having friends with millionare fathers made it quite obvious.

I'm quite happy with what I recieve as an english citizen but am also aware that in about a year when I finish college me and my father will be in quite alot of shit, luckily because we live in the north we have a council house, I now how hard it is to get one down south, my mum was luckily given a pub to run whilst in a 5 year long waiting list.

I recieve £30 a week for just turning up for college and my dad recieves tax credits and the like. What's funny is that I can't get a job because of college and being mentally crippled. I'm angry.

10. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Heck, I can't get a job because of Uni and I'm mentally "exotic". I'm tres' angry!

Draft saved Draft deleted