The Bullshit Constant

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Is it my imagination, or has the quantity of bullshit on LPSG increased dramatically over the last few days? By bullshit, I mean blatantly faked photos and profiles, coupled (or not) with completely over-the-top "look at me, I'm eccentric/troubled/happy-go-lucky" posting personas? :confused:

Of course, there was always bullshit, but the quality of the bullshit used to be a lot better. There were fake photos, profiles, and personae, but they were subtle, better crafted, less obvious. Now, the bullshit jumps off the screen at you.

I propose that there must be a bullshit constant, such that if the quality of bullshit decreases, the quantity must increase, and vice versa. I'm not sure how to express this constant, given that quality and quantity can't be expressed in the same terms. Let me know your thoughts.

And I'm sure you'll let me know if this thread is bullshit, too. :rolleyes:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yup -- BS on this site rises every Christmas break, every summer break, and every time Channel 4 plays that stupid "documentary".

Chrysalis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I must not be experienced enough to smell all of the bullshit, because I've only noticed a couple of obvious bullshitters.

Perhaps with time, my olfactory senses will improve. :biggrin1:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, sorry, I haven't noticed any such thing. The absolute quantity of BS on the board seems about the same, and I don't normally cruise the profiles or galleries (true, even if nobody believes it) so I haven't noticed any changes which might be going on there. But the quality of the BS in the posts has actually improved a tad. Instead of racist, pseudo-Marxist, or tedious religious rants, in the last few weeks we've had a number of totally incomprehensible, rambling, pointless posts by people who are clearly - and genuinely - impressed by themselves, even if nobody else is.

I rank sincere conceit a bit higher than, say, racism, which I consider vile no matter who's slinging it. So I figure quality's on a slight upswing. Although that could change at any moment.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm full of shit in real life.

Is the internet supposed to be exempt?

Absolutely not. Bullshit is the internet's lifeblood. The internet runs on bullshit the way pro sports runs on racism.

The (life)blood pressure is higher here of late, but a lot of it is old, sick blood, filled with diseased platelets of deceit. Or cholesteric crapola, if you prefer.