The Bullshit Constant

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Then we can use dBs - 80dBs being an acceptable level and 140dBs being intolerable. Where do you think we are now?

LPD,

I forgot to compliment you on the idea of using of a dB scale to measure bullshit. It's really quite appropriate - at increasing levels, both noise and bullshit will give you a headache, and prolonged exposure is probably damaging. And there's always some background bullshit here, but nobody notices it unless they specifically go looking for it (and most often, it is drowned out by the higher-decibel bullshit).

Now we just need a way to express the relationship between bullshit quality (amplitude?) and quantity (frequency?). I'm still looking for that paradoxical way to quantify quality :wink: , at which point we can have ratios, formulae, constants, and all that good stuff. :smile:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now we just need a way to express the relationship between bullshit quality (amplitude?) and quantity (frequency?). I'm still looking for that paradoxical way to quantify quality :wink: , at which point we can have ratios, formulae, constants, and all that good stuff. :smile:

Are you suggesting we have an LPSG BS flow chart?

It'll probably graph more like a sine wave.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Dang! I spent weeks traveling all over the country writing your names and phone numbers on rest room walls. I even listed your dimensions from 15 to 18 inches. You ruined all my hard work. I was trying to get you some action.

Chrysalis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Absolutely. It would be like a weather forecast. As soon as you enter the site, you get a bullshit chart for the last 24 hours and a forecast for the next 24. How great would that be?

Or instead of just rating threads, we could give them a bullshit rating as well...

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We could maybe do this on frequency Rob. As adults can't hear above 21 gig, we would only need two levels. Those levels of bullshit that get the kids going and those levels that wind up the grown ups as well.

So you could have a high volume, say 120dBs, but at 17 gig, so it would still be safe for the adults, but 120dBS at 30 gig would be a problem for all of us.

A for adults - 100A

J for juveniles - 125J

Who's going to do the forecasts?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think it's all subjective, really, in that one guy's thought provoking and insightful post is another's pure unmitigated bullshit.

Take this topic for example. Took me over a day to even read it. Why? ...figured it was bullshit.

And having read it, I still haven't made up my mind, except to say that I have succeeded in deluding myself into believing that I don't respond to bullshit. So having thus responded...well, you see where I'm going.

Maybe the forum needs its own "Ebert and Roeper" section where would be critics (who think their opinion even matters worth a squat) could rate various topics as "bullshit or not".

Then, like we do when we here one of their reviews of a particular movie we just happened to like, we can decide whether their review is "bullshit or not". Which would bring us back to square one.

That's because sometimes it's hard to determine where bullshit (or horse shit for that matter) begins or ends.

bob c.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I say we create a sheet or list of Bullshitters, and post it as a sticky.

The rules are:

1. Report them to the Moderating team to be added to the sticky.
2. Clearly Fake pics are an automatic add to the list.
3. Commercials, "Look at my website" people
4. Multiple Profile users

I'll think of more later.

But If we had a sticky, and their name/handle was up there, I think it would help to cut down on the bullshit flying about in here.

Users inactive for more than 30 days should get the boot.
There's been a massive influx of new users. I say we need to tighten down the ease of joining this place a bit.
Set limits on what new/non paying members can do.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
There's been a massive influx of new users. I say we need to tighten down the ease of joining this place a bit.

I like the idea, but think that the 30 day rule is a bit harsh. Some of us get busy and can't find the time to post, or come online.
Perhaps a 3 month hiatus?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Perhaps we could have a bullshit reporting thread. Perhaps it could be this thread.

I used to ignore the obvious fakes I ran across. Now I will occasionally post a link to this thread, thereby saving myself the time required to type out a sarcastic comment, warning others of the fakery, and shamelessly promoting this thread, all at once. :smile:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I think it's all subjective, really, in that one guy's thought provoking and insightful post is another's pure unmitigated bullshit.

Take this topic for example. Took me over a day to even read it. Why? ...figured it was bullshit.

And having read it, I still haven't made up my mind, except to say that I have succeeded in deluding myself into believing that I don't respond to bullshit. So having thus responded...well, you see where I'm going.

Maybe the forum needs its own "Ebert and Roeper" section where would be critics (who think their opinion even matters worth a squat) could rate various topics as "bullshit or not".

Then, like we do when we here one of their reviews of a particular movie we just happened to like, we can decide whether their review is "bullshit or not". Which would bring us back to square one.

That's because sometimes it's hard to determine where bullshit (or horse shit for that matter) begins or ends.

bob c.

There is obvious bullshit, though - the crudely photoshopped photos, the two-line trolls for SPH, and the like (and lots of it, lately). I've yet to see anyone defend bullshit of that quality as being thought-provoking and insightful.

As I have said, the quality of bullshit here has decreased. The fakes used to be of better quality, and the trolls used to lull us into a false sense of security before unleashing their trollishness upon us.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Perhaps we could have a bullshit reporting thread. Perhaps it could be this thread.

I used to ignore the obvious fakes I ran across. Now I will occasionally post a link to this thread, thereby saving myself the time required to type out a sarcastic comment, warning others of the fakery, and shamelessly promoting this thread, all at once. :smile:

Smart move. It can be used like Hickboy's want answers? thread whenever appropriate.

Draconis71

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Now, hotmail did something like that a few years back. I used to log in once every few months.
I logged in to find... I couldn't log in, and lost some VERY vital information (like my last copy of my ACCURATE resume), some important phone numbers/e-mail addresses). We were adequatley warned, with a 60-day notice.. Woulda been nice, but it was 72 days or so since my last login.
Sometimes you just don't get the internet access you need (or privacy you need) to log in.