The capital-T Truth: This is water - David Foster Wallace

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by petite, Feb 15, 2012.

1. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I am sharing this with you because if only one person listens to this speech or reads the transcript, then I feel that my effort is worthwhile.

This is Water - Part 1 - YouTube

DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, IN HIS OWN WORDS | More Intelligent Life

2. D_Dick_S_Lapp

D_Dick_S_Lapp Account Disabled

Great read :)

#2 D_Dick_S_Lapp, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Ah, I feel satisfied now. I shared something I think is wonderful with another person. :smile:

I am not surprised that you appreciated it. I have noticed your posts and I like them very much. :shysmile:

#3 petite, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. D_Dick_S_Lapp

D_Dick_S_Lapp Account Disabled

aww thanks :biggrin: and it is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. To tell you the truth, thats the only way i would have found out about it. Going to try to adopt that way of thinking into my everyday life.

5. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    It's difficult to remember sometimes. I get caught up in my own head, too, so it's good to keep remembering, "This is water. This is water..."

#5 petite, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. origamiheart

origamiheart New Member

Thank you, Miss Petite.

Often, I have had that discussion in my head as I walked the prairie, seeing that leaf-waving tree, that certain glittering rock, that sparkly beetle.....all flying and waving for us to notice them.

Thank you for showing us a good example of thoughtful human behavior. Such lessons help us understand why we stay in a forum.

And why we come back.

7. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    You're welcome.

I need to remember that everyone else is as flawed as me, and vice versa, but remember this. Always remember this...

8. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    That voice in your head is your voice.

When it sounds like someone else's voice, that's still your voice in your head. Even when it booms like God, even when it's a background hum behind every other thought, and even when it's a memory replaying on the screen in your mind, that's still your own voice talking to you. Memories can become the voices we internalize.

You have the power to control that voice. Don't forget to give yourself a break sometimes.

I'm not trying to tell any of you anything. I'm trying to remember this for myself. That memory replaying over and over again is me nagging myself mercilessly. I could stand to be kinder to myself. I need to remember that's my own voice, even if it was someone else's voice long ago. When it berates me, that's me being too hard on myself, no one else.

Remember.

This is water.

#8 petite, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. BigStick4Pleasure

BigStick4Pleasure Active Member

Albums:
    I'm reminded of a book I read about Taoism called "The Chronicles of Tao" (told as a fable, about a real person though), and the final chapter of Sam Harris' "The End of Faith", in which he explained how he saw Western philosophers going all the way back to Antiquity as having a much more shallow sense of self-awareness, a much less thorough exploration of the self, of consciousness and its intricacies and mysteries, than those of Eastern philosophies and religions. Whenever I encounter a "great mind" from the Western world, I have to wonder if there isn't some 208 year old Taoist monk who wouldn't bat an eye at the supposedly revelatory concepts espoused by said Western thinker, even though for me the Western thinker's thoughts do set my mind ablaze (probably not nearly as much as a woman's during orgasm, hehe).

That said, I do like what I heard in the speech, some food for thought I will savor. Some of what he said, I have thought in that manner of the kind of person who would think such things, much of my adult life now, as I have always been very introspective and very open to questioning previously held beliefs, even the ones I hold very dear and strongly. But there were some new ways of putting things that he used which I will definitely chew on, and hopefully one day will spit back at a public that is ever more less self aware (as evidenced by the hellish day that approacheth at the time of this writing, Black Friday and all the social madness type materialism/consumerism that is revealed by it); I will spit, and probably no one will notice. But more and more I find myself reflecting on the idea that maybe it doesn't matter, let it all go to hell, stop caring so much about the state of humanity, its direction, its state of enlightenment and welfare. It seems like the most enlightened minds, people who have spent their whole lives in deep thought, they all seem to achieve a sort of tranquility by realizing the pointlessness of trying to care so much about the material world and to a lesser extent the people in it.

How poignant his comments about suicide, since he killed himself later. I am very intrigued about him and have not heard about him until now, I will definitely be reading up more on him in the near future.

Thanks for sharing this! Seeing as you are a thinker and value others of the same affliction, I recommend first and foremost- if you haven't yet read him- Frank Herbert, in particular the original Dune novel. That man's mind is a source of perpetual fascination to me, what a truly vast intellect he had (and his wife Beverly, who never gets credit for playing a massive role in his writing the Dune series novels), the ideas he played with, the deep penetrating insights that are revealed only in subtleties in his works, indirectly, little morsels of the largely untapped potential of the human species. His knowledge, and moreover his understanding of, humans and nature and existence, I find so valuable as to even take meaning from certain aspects of how he lived his life, though I am never the type to put anyone on a pedestal.

Every time I re-read Dune, it's like layers off an onion, getting deeper and deeper, seeing just a little bit more of the tapestry of scarce knowledge and insight that man had in his head. To quote his son, "To say my father was an intellectual giant is a huge understatement." That was not him trying to brag about his father's smarts- I can see through his fiction that Herbert truly was one of the most magnificent humans (mentally) to have ever lived. I think a thousand years from now, they will still be realizing that he was aware of achievements the human race will attain that virtually no one else had the foresight to predict. I thank him almost every day for tidbits like, "The flesh the day shapes, and the day the flesh shapes." (the final thought of Leto Atreides.) Layers off an onion indeed, the way ideas like that work their way into my mind, and like a worm it slowly feeds itself into other bits of knowledge until I start to see the truth of it in my everyday experiences, as well as internal musings. As an example, that quote made me realize, cultures are not purely expressions of a group of people relatively isolated for a time and then forged by their local climate and day to day type living. There is another factor which determines culture- the genes of the people of that culture! Culture DOES have a genetic component to it, and that has controversial implications if you think about it awhile. The day the flesh shapes- your environment and experiences shape who you are as a person (and, in group, as a culture), right down to your very genes, and the flesh the day shapes- you also shape your environment, which seems obvious, but when combined with the other half of the concept, is a revelation I still haven't fully grasped.

I also recommend Jon Winokur. Especially those who like someone like David Foster Wallace as a thinker, I think will like him as well; I instantly fell in love with his definition of a curmudgeon (bottom of the page at this link):
    Definition of Curmudgeon

Reading that liberated me, and made me feel so un-alone for the first time in a very long time. Ah! Reminds me of "cultural creatives." Stop rambling!!! No, YOU stop rambling! Sorry, the cacophony in my head arises. :)

10. malakos

Gold Member

Odd coincidence. I just listened to this a few days ago.

11. Dport

Dport Active Member

Good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted