The Case for Circumcision. (Click and be convinced)

D_Al_K_Celtzah

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Essentially destroy the basis of the religious act of marriage"

So what you're saying is that marriage is only valid as such if it is a religious cerimony?

D_Biff Wellington

Experimental Member
Media
"Essentially destroy the basis of the religious act of marriage"

So what you're saying is that marriage is only valid as such if it is a religious cerimony?

Marriage was virtually synonymous with a religious ceremony until, at the most, twenty-five years ago. In the minds of most people, I strongly believe marriage still carries strong connotations of religion.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not against religion, I'm not religious but I left it to my children to make the choice, my son didn't, my daughter did and I supported her in her own considered choice. Can you not get that we're not anti anything except anti foisting our irrevocable and unnecessary choices on children?

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Marriage was virtually synonymous with a religious ceremony until, at the most, twenty-five years ago. In the minds of most people, I strongly believe marriage still carries strong connotations of religion.

Totally false. Religion is a relatively recent social invention. Although xianity was founded ~2000 years ago, it took quite a few centuries before it caught on. Until then, most people were pagans. There are many parts of Europe that remained pagan well into the 1600s. I would say that for most of Europe, marriage had nothing to do with religion until after the Thirty Years War.

Marriage has always been an attempt by the church to force humans into monogamy. It obviously doesn't work though given the phenomenal rate of divorce in the US.

D_Biff Wellington

Experimental Member
Media
I would say that for most of Europe, marriage had nothing to do with religion until after the Thirty Years War.

Because its not like religious marriage hadn't been happening with regularity for centuries before the Thirty Years War... and its not as if Christianity was important or anything before that time... and its not like Christianity prompted, oh you know, a massive invasion of the Middle East or anything like that. Perish the thought.

Marriage has always been an attempt by the church to force humans into monogamy.

Of course Chico, because the evil Christians simply wish to make everyone miserable.