Verified
Gold
Media
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found this article online. This is not some right wing christian agenda, but a psychiatric council. I want you to read it and tell me what you think. I have an extremely hard time believing what they claim. I especially want you to comment on the part that says,

"Since 1962 when our volume was published, I have interviewed about 1,000 male homosexuals and 50 pairs of parents of homosexuals. The classic pattern was present in more than 90% of cases. In my entire experience, I have never interviewed a single male homosexual who had a constructive, loving father. A son who has a loving father who respects him does not become a homosexual. I have concluded that there is a causal relationship between parental influence and sexual choice (p. 368)."

I can't convince myself that this is true. It sounds like crap.

Dal2AR

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Many right-wing fundamentalist pigs hide behind a title of some sort. I know MANY gay men who had wonderful relationships with thier father...and their father is their favorite parents...
These people make it seem like homosexuality is a 20th century invention.

BigLittleMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
that is crap. my dad is a great guy.

many years of scientific study has finally proven the true causes of homosexuality:

vagina

abercrombie and fitch clothing

spelling the word boy with an i instead of y (i.e. boi)

dance music

tanning beds

overwhelming desire to be "fabulous"

Reactions: Voltaire

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
A son who has a loving father who respects him does not become a homosexual. I have concluded that there is a causal relationship between parental influence and sexual choice (p. 368)."

It is a classic Freud theory in which parents, i.e. a dominant mom and/or distant dad, are the ingredients needed to create a gay son. This theory has been discredited though. You are correct in saying it is crap.

CuriousBoi69

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I honestly have to say, the man that i call "dad" is not my biological father, but he and I have one of the best relationships i've ever seen... Dont get me wrong, we butt heads alot because we are so close in personality, but at the same time I would also like to say that I am not gay because my dad didnt/doesnt love me... He very much does...

Now to set thing straight... I honestly believe I was born gay... I've never been able to become sexually aroused by a woman... Take that for what you will, but I believe it as true!!!

CuriousBoi69 :rolleyes:

I found this article online. This is not some right wing christian agenda, but a psychiatric council. I want you to read it and tell me what you think. I have an extremely hard time believing what they claim. I especially want you to comment on the part that says,
"Since 1962 when our volume was published, I have interviewed about 1,000 male homosexuals and 50 pairs of parents of homosexuals. The classic pattern was present in more than 90% of cases. In my entire experience, I have never interviewed a single male homosexual who had a constructive, loving father. A son who has a loving father who respects him does not become a homosexual. I have concluded that there is a causal relationship between parental influence and sexual choice (p. 368)."

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Nobody really know for sure the real causes of homosexuality.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Nobody really know for sure the real causes of homosexuality.

I know what causes homosexuality. Men are hot!! What's not to want! :biggrin1:

Serious bit - I know some gay guys with fucked up relationships with their fathers. I know proportionally as many straight guys with fucked up relationships with their fathers.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This reads like Irving Bieber circa about 1967. He and Socarides (who has a gay son) were the loudest voices in favor of keeping homosexuality classified as a mental illness in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manus III (DSM III) published in the early eighties. The logic went: It needs to be considered a pathological condition so that gay men will be distressed enough to be motivated to change their sexual orientation through psychoanalysis. Sick, or what?

They were both highly influential members of the American Psychoanalytic Association which was the largest in the U.S. and extremely conservative at the time. Classsic Freudianism (as they interpreted it) was their religion. The other association active in the U.S. is the International Psychoanalytic Association which is/was much more flexible and ecclectic. It may very well be that they are both deceased.

Since then, the American Psychoanalytic Association (known as "The American") has done a complete about face. Devoting full issues of their journal, whose name escapes me at the moment, to discussions of how their stance on homosexuality was their very large and grave error. They put out statements of supporting gay marriage in about 1992.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When you take the cultural significance out of the picture, what does it matter what someones sexual disposition is?
If someone likes the color blue over the color red, does that make them less or more?
I think we put too much cultural significance on the gay/straight thing when it comes to sexuality, and as those cultural views are shaped by whatever arbitrary culture we are born into, it bears investigation.
I think we have to think outside the box and ask ourselves 'why does the sexual disposition of another human bother me so much?' If we find the answer to that question, I think there would be far less sexual prejudice.

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There is a really big prolem with this theory. If being gay is caused by a uncaring father, then why aren't all my brothers gay as well. We all had the same father. And that would be true in every family. Crappy father would mean that ALL the sons would turn out to be gay. How many straight guys had detached fathers. I am afraid blaming the parents for sexual orientation is just psycobable.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
As others mentioned, this is classic Freud. I think that in many cases this theory may be true. I read a psychologist who wrote that "Homosexuality in a male may mean the male needs more fathering. Heterosexuality may simply mean he needs more mothering. And bisexuality may mean he needs more of both."

But I find it hard to believe that there are NO gay men who had good relationships with their fathers. This theory also rejects the possibility that some boys may have negative relationships with their mothers and perhaps sisters, good relationships with their fathers and/or brothers (male cousins, etc.), and this may lead them to trust males over females.

There are probably many different reasons.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
My point is that Freud said homosexuality in a son is caused by rejection from a father and a smothering mother.

Jimmy Hendricks was also a drug addict. Does that change the fact that he was a good guitar player? (Coccaine was legal when Freud was addicted to it. In fact, I think most drugs were legal back then.)

Freud was also addicted to cocaine and not always right... what's your point?

Hemicudap

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Here's the deal. Homosexuality can be "caused" by many things. A lot of psychologists nowadays are looking at the amount of pre-natal testosterone and finding those who are exposed to low amounts of it are more often attracted to males. The article is problematic because it only attributes one source, and some are not genetically wired for it. Basically the article is saying it is a social cause, by the dad. Most psych's now think it is more genetic. I think it is a mix, a little nature and nurture. But let's not kid ourselves, having a father who doesn't love you etc., can not help if you see homosexuality as wrong or whatever.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I've head of situations where one brother in a set of identical twins is gay. In my mind, that sort of ruins the theory that it's biological, because aren't they supposed to be copies of each other?

I think the real answer is: no one knows.

There is a really big prolem with this theory. If being gay is caused by a uncaring father, then why aren't all my brothers gay as well. We all had the same father. And that would be true in every family. Crappy father would mean that ALL the sons would turn out to be gay. How many straight guys had detached fathers. I am afraid blaming the parents for sexual orientation is just psycobable.

chavous

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bullshit. I Have A Wonderful Father That Has Always Been Great To Me. So I Say This Is A Fucjed Study!!