The causes of homosexuality

No doubt. The article the original poster mentioned comes from an organization that’s only purpose is selling “reorientation” therapy to really dumb homosexuals but then snake oil salespeople and consumers of such hucksters are nothing new.

This is who we are talking about Theological Issues

Yeah, I was wondering about that. There was no link to the source in the OP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ururu18

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, my father left home when i was 6 years old, but I'm straight. According to this study I'm an anomaly! But wait a lot of people I know are like me, so may be this study needs a bit more.. studying!

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Some people think that when little boys don't get that male affection they need as children, they seek it in other men when they get older...

I used to think that as well, but I have a cousin who has a son & they've always had a close, affectionate relationship & his kid is gay...in fact, the kid came out while he was in middle school (but it was no surprise to anyone)

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Well, my father left home when i was 6 years old, but I'm straight. According to this study I'm an anomaly! But wait a lot of people I know are like me, so may be this study needs a bit more.. studying!

The OP on this Lazarus thread mentioned the study was done in 1962, which leaves it open for negative comment, because at the time being gay was a private shame.

The information needs to be updated. It's like consulting a chemical text written in 1899 that doesn't know anything about radiation.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
All been debunked.
Now well established that homosexuality in social mammals is perfectly natural and occurs in nature.

Well established that homosexuals have differing brain structure that points to a developmental cause.

And strong correlative evidence that changable conditions in the mother's womb are the causal factor resulting in this developmental differentiation.

Everything else is puritanical judgement and freudian idiocy...

There is no substantive evidence that ANY psychological theories are even remotely true.
Freud has been disproven... Jung, too.
As a branch of medicine... psychology and psychiatry have the most dismally low success rate of all... WAY below statistical significance... real experiemtn shows recovery rates from phychiatric treatment are IDENTICAL to recovery rates for people receiving NO treatment at all.

WHY would anyone lend credence to pronouncements from the most consistently WRONG group of "doctors" in the world?
Recovered memory is bullshit... social causes for homosexuality are bullshit...

We are far more driven by biology than we would like to believe.

And Homosexuality is NOT an Either/Or issue.

All human males have some potential for same sex activity and interest... the only question is how strongly that potential is expressed thru their development.

Because we tend to polarize people into making a CHOICE one way or another... we drive those beyond a certain point to self identify as ALL one thing or ALL the other.

The 10% gay figure indicates little more than the tipping point of homosexual interest at which the person considers themselves predominately NOT attracted to women.

As many as two thirds of the non-gay men are socially pressured to identify as ALL hetero- despite an interest in homosexual activity that runs the gamut from uninterested right up to the edge of the tipping point for identifying as gay.

Like most things human... its not a switch that is either on or off... its a spectrum of variable expression that is hard to quantify.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hmm. . . I had a great relationship with my father. I know he definitely respected me, especially when I had the guts to "come out" with a vengence when I was about 14 years old. Industrialsize, as usual, made a perfectly legitimate comment when he wrote earilier in this thread,"Again, someone remind me why we need to find a cause for homosexuality?"

When I was waiting for for the boarding call for my flight back to the Southern Hemisphere I had the dumb luck of listening to the University of Ewetaws' PBS Saturday news show. It's their local attempt at being enlightened. The program was an entire hour of a mormon homosexual (sort of an oxymoron, if you ask me) and some straight mormon guy with Ph.D. in education (there's a caution flag, right there) from BYU. They discussed a book made up of their e-mails arguing for and against gay marriage. The mormon homosexual was such an apologist regarding everything, not just his sexuality, that he probably should work for Phyllis Schlafley. The mormon "educator" had created some "family values" think tank in or near Provo, Ewetaw. The educator was actually given credence to his claim that "In all of my research I've yet to find that there is such a thing as sexual orientation." And along those same lines of intellectual pursuit I'm certain he discovered at an early age that his shit didn't attract flies.

I listened to these two weenies play "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" for almost 45 minutes. That's 45 minutes I'll never get back in this life! And I blame only myself for that problem. I should have known better than to waste my time with a radio broadcast discussion on something so ridiculous and annoying. But that's Ewetaw. Several have sent me messasges that I "flame" mormons too much. But I dump them in the same broad class as stupid conservative christians. Therefore, if this posts annoys your sense of fair play, it should really offend your sense of "christianity." Like lot of things that turned out to be complete bullshit, time and experience has proved to me that religious types are weak, prone to fear mongering, and more often than not cannot discern the truth when it slaps them up side the head.

Those two lofty angel counters that morning on KUER, Salt Lake City, really had no business pushing their particular stupidity on publically funded radio, especially since BYU has its own version of National Public Radio. But still, there they were; blathering on and on about the "truth" as filtered by their religious-based world views. Had I the power to magically neuter them both and rescind their respective children, I would have. But if wishes were fishes . . . etc. And once again, my need to leave the USA -- especially the Intermountain West -- was reinforced. The air actually got a bit better once I was on a connecting flight out of LAX.

The causes of homosexuality? What's wrong with homosexuality? There is nothing wrong with being homosexual (note: I wrote being homosexual instead of being a homosexual). Unlike the McPain versus Obama bleching that was vollyed back and forth, the issue never got to the point that one side felt it necessary to kill the other for "spiritual" reasons. However, there are many stupid people who think that homosexuals are some sort of world threat. In fact, one might conjecture that among Muslims, christians, and Jews there is a majority opinion that homosexuals need to be wiped out of society.

The Good News! It ain't gonna happen. Although it has happened too much. I'm sure that Sarah Palin's soon-to-be Nazi-like son-in-law enjoys nothing better than doing a bit of fag bashing on the weekends with his friends. But then, consider his geographic location and upbringing. Certainly, his parents nor the Palins are exactly pillars of mental stability and intellectual prowess. Fortunately, since the mid 50's there are enough of us who have been willing (eager, actually) to be out and open and show that we're not the great threat to Western or Eastern culture the fear mongers insist that we are. We don't molest your little girls and boys. However, your pastor, rabbi, scoutmaster and or "other" special person in your neighborhood is more likely to do so.

Personally, I like to think that what causes homosexuality is a good eye for design, being a fabulous dancer, and 2 inches taller than most. But that's just me.

Last edited:

gildersleeve

Experimental Member
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Sexuality
No Response
To say that any one theory has been "disproved" or "discredited" is simply nonsense and ignores the evidence. There's still much debate about this issue, which leads me to believe that there are both environmental AND biological routes to homosexuality. How can it be any other way?

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So what is the cause of heterosexuallity? :rolleyes:
An excellent question, and until we have some idea of the answer, it's pointless asking the other one. The implication of asking "what causes homosexuality?" without first asking "what causes sexual orientation?" is that being strait is "natural" and need no explanation. Yet everything natural still needs an explanation, unless you're a Goddiditter.

One thing's for sure, strait folks don't choose the opposite sex because - the reason most often given - that's the way babies are made - making babies is the last thing on the mind of most people when they're a fixin' to* have sex.

*(This expression is not in my idiolect, but it springs to mind because of someone somewhere who wrote of a male partner who rather endearingly said "I'm a fixin' to come." Does anyone know the reference? Google is no help, for either spelling of "come")

"What causes homosexuality?" is or can be a scientific question and scientists ask such questions purely out of curiosity. Of course, nowadays, most legitimate scientists will ask the "Why?" of sexuality as a whole, of sexuality in all its forms.
Human beings, have evolved as a social beast with varying sexualities. Not all animals, by the way, vary as much as we do. I think that's right, but you should ask your friendly local zoologist, someone who's current on the subject. Some animals vary in ways that are like our variations, but as far as I know, we are the Mardi Gras of the animal world. But I could be wrong.

So, what are the reasons for the evolution of homosexuality, etc.? I can think of reasons; hypotheses, really. Just beginner statements.
Basically, humans need a society in which sexual aggression is softened.
Human society needs people who are more immune, so to speak to heterosexuality.
These hypotheses of course lead to other questions. But there are plenty of lonely people perplexed by this question, so people who reject it when others like them need an answer are being a little impatient and maybe arrogant. We're just curious, and because we're clever beasts, we can figure it all out eventually.