The causes of homosexuality

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
In this case both my posts were dismissed outright by one member and another told me to move the topic to its own thread and, as nobody replied to them, I did so.

I'm disappointed and saddened that what I contributed was rejected. This isn't the LPSG I know.

I am hopeful that dreamer did not mean his comment in a negative way, IME that is not his MO - I found your post interesting and appropriate to the thread. Slightly tangental perhaps, but a lot less so than often occurs.

Or to phrase it slightly differently; Don't let the fuckers get you down, brother.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for your interest, Rubi and Northwestone. I can't do it today because I have lost my electronic version of the paper. It may be in my office computer. Otherwise, I'll have to get a hard copy from my office, scan it, then cut and paste. That might be tomorrow but more likely next week.
Dave

darkhorse72

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
to sugest there is a cause seems to sugest there can be a cure.
not something i'm entirely happy with.
i think talk like this can lead to discrimination when all thats needed is acceptance and understanding.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Once again, WHO CARES why one person is a homo and one is a hetero, they just are........next question? can't we all just move on?

Well - no, hang on - it's totally valid to look for the cause of homosexuality if one is also prepared to look for the cause of hetrosexuality. Why do some guys turn out straight? What's with that? Sex is so rarely for procreation these days - shouldn't bisexual be the default? Maybe we should be questioning why so many people rule out same sex partners, instead of just questioning why some people prefer them.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OK, I'm not gay, but I find it disturbing that one would look for a "cause". As if to insinuate it's a disease that can be treated. If this is true scientific research, then the scientific community really has lost it's marbles and there obviously isn't enough for them to do. As for the right wing nuts? There is nothing that will change them (Just think Fred Phelps' idiot crew).

My brother is gay and in all the years he has been out of the closet, it has never dawned on me that he "might change back". What the hell is that?

So my brother likes men. So what! Does it make him any less productve a member of society? Not in the slightest.

I hear crap like this and think what a waste of good college space to have educated those morons when real intellectuals are strruggling to get into good schools and make genuine strides towards bettering life for everyone. Gay or straight.

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are scientific theories that point to various events in the development of a fetus that suggest random hormonal or biochemical activities take place that lead to a whole cascade of occurences that can create a brain that has characteristics of both male and female with all sorts of variations within that. I think that those of us, male or female, who are homosexual are the result of random genetic happenings. I'm not a believer in any religions, but I'm suspecting that there are homosexual creatures in all species that are here to promote the survival of the species in general. (no, I'm not a hair and makeup artist, fashion designer, or closetted actor/actress). I emphatically disagree with any behavioral influences (bad Dad, Mom, etc) that are often cited as 'causes'.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Homosexuality is within the sexuality range of humans -- always has been, and always will be. It is the same as there being some people who are more adventuresome, others excel in music, still others are brilliant mathematicians, and yet others become great leaders. Humans evolved to live within tribes, and each person within that tribe had functions essential to the success of that tribe. Even homosexuality had a purpose in such a way of life. It has been documented in other species which live in extended family groups that there are often non-reproductive members which stay and help support the raising of their biological relatives. Wolf packs, for instance, typically form around one breeding pair and offspring and/or siblings of that pair remaining to hunt together and help rear offspring of the one breeding pair, while not breeding themselves. Do we search out a "cause" for those non-reproducing individuals being born "the way they are"? No, because the system as it is just plain works.

There is some scant evidence that somewhat more gay men are the youngest of multiple sons born to the same mother, but this is only represented as a statistic that's slightly off from average. It doesn't imply that all youngest sons are gay, nor that all oldest sons are straight (I'm the only son, first born, and only gay-identified member in my entire extended family). The thought behind this hypothesis is that it is more advantageous to a woman's mitochondrial DNA (which is inherited solely from the mother, so sons do not pass on their mother's mDNA) to have daughters and non-reproductive sons. Why? Because their daughters will pass on their mDNA to their grandchildren, but their sons will bring forth grandchildren carrying another woman's mDNA. It's possible that after one or more male-carrying pregnancies, some women effect something during pregnancy which decreases the liklihood of future male offspring having a desire to reproduce, i.e. be attracted to the opposite sex. But as I was prefacing earlier, there is no concrete evidence, and the resulting data is only slightly skewed from the expected norm, so even if there IS a push resulting from this, it would be extremely minor when taken into consideration along with all the other variables involved in forming a human's adult personality and behavior.

Point of my post -- stop trying to find a "reason" for homosexuality (or bisexuality or gender identity), because behind the search for a "reason" is a search for a "cure." And I'm doing just fine as I am.
:)

HornyWisconsin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hi, I am new...

I think that it might be true... I absolutely hate my dad... I mean I love him but I cant stand him... and I dont know if I am gay or bi or what... but what is worse is that my dad is a pastor and my mother is a christian day school teacher so even if i was gay or bi... I would have to keep that to myself and find a girl, get married and have kids... I wouldnt want to be disowned by my family...

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So sorry to hear those gay penguins at the New York Zoo had crappy dads. All penguins should have good fathers so they won't turn out gay. We should do something about this. Maybe we could at least screen all penguin fathers that have offspring at the zoo so we don't have to look at their gay offspring.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I agree that ultimately it doesn't matter, but....

With regard to Freud, I think there is at least a small amount of truth in most cases. Gay men often receive an amount of rejection from their fathers and from heterosexual men, and they are more often to receive acceptance from women. Women don't have as much trouble with gay men as straight men do. (Again, this is because straight men don't want to be reminded of their own homosexual potential.)

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Homosexuality is within the sexuality range of humans -- always has been, and always will be. It is the same as there being some people who are more adventuresome, others excel in music, still others are brilliant mathematicians, and yet others become great leaders. Humans evolved to live within tribes, and each person within that tribe had functions essential to the success of that tribe. Even homosexuality had a purpose in such a way of life. It has been documented in other species which live in extended family groups that there are often non-reproductive members which stay and help support the raising of their biological relatives. Wolf packs, for instance, typically form around one breeding pair and offspring and/or siblings of that pair remaining to hunt together and help rear offspring of the one breeding pair, while not breeding themselves. Do we search out a "cause" for those non-reproducing individuals being born "the way they are"? No, because the system as it is just plain works.

There is some scant evidence that somewhat more gay men are the youngest of multiple sons born to the same mother, but this is only represented as a statistic that's slightly off from average. It doesn't imply that all youngest sons are gay, nor that all oldest sons are straight (I'm the only son, first born, and only gay-identified member in my entire extended family). The thought behind this hypothesis is that it is more advantageous to a woman's mitochondrial DNA (which is inherited solely from the mother, so sons do not pass on their mother's mDNA) to have daughters and non-reproductive sons. Why? Because their daughters will pass on their mDNA to their grandchildren, but their sons will bring forth grandchildren carrying another woman's mDNA. It's possible that after one or more male-carrying pregnancies, some women effect something during pregnancy which decreases the liklihood of future male offspring having a desire to reproduce, i.e. be attracted to the opposite sex. But as I was prefacing earlier, there is no concrete evidence, and the resulting data is only slightly skewed from the expected norm, so even if there IS a push resulting from this, it would be extremely minor when taken into consideration along with all the other variables involved in forming a human's adult personality and behavior.

Point of my post -- stop trying to find a "reason" for homosexuality (or bisexuality or gender identity), because behind the search for a "reason" is a search for a "cure." And I'm doing just fine as I am.
:)

I might have said this before but the gay & lesbian couples in southern california are having babies so I'm not sure about the non-breeding aspects of homosexuality. To me this is a new dynamic where the non-hetero people are raising their own kids with hopefully more accepting attitudes toward all orientations.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hi, I am new...

I think that it might be true... I absolutely hate my dad... I mean I love him but I cant stand him... and I dont know if I am gay or bi or what... but what is worse is that my dad is a pastor and my mother is a christian day school teacher so even if i was gay or bi... I would have to keep that to myself and find a girl, get married and have kids... I wouldnt want to be disowned by my family...

HornyWisconsin,I think that it's quite horrible, that you would have to keep this to yourself,else be disowned.
In my belief a "true christian" would be accepting of everyone,regardless of whom they want to make a life with. Why should they love you any less? You are their child,whom they raised,{I hope! }to be a loving,giving man,does who you love make you any less of a man because it doesn't fit their religous beliefs? No. No it doesn't, and I hope you won't have a rough time from your family.
My sister believes in the same kind of "christian crap", as I call it
as your parents do,if theyr'e baptist,too.
What they stand for is discrimination,hatred and all those things, I wouldn't ever, ascribe to being "christian",like those who belong to the "Phelps brand" of religion".
Best wishes to you GW.
cigarbabe:saevil: