The causes of homosexuality

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
And why does no one ever ask what causes heterosexuality? I suppose because it's considered "normal."

Because it's obvious and it is normal, don't try and pass it off as anything else. Hetrosexuality just comes from genetics and nature, need for reproducing and etc aswell as society's devlopment and encouragement for it.

cocktaste

Superior Member
Media
Chadds Ford Township, PA, United States of America
Because it's obvious and it is normal, don't try and pass it off as anything else. Hetrosexuality just comes from genetics and nature, need for reproducing and etc aswell as society's devlopment and encouragement for it.

Homosexuality is in nature and the animal kingdom. It is not for just reproduction. It is for social and stress relieving means. Why are some people baron? It has been theorized that homosexuality is nature's way of controlling population.

Prove that heterosexuality comes from genetics. Which gene?

cocktaste

Superior Member
Media
Chadds Ford Township, PA, United States of America
My friend, a lesbian therapist, once told me that sexaulity often changes. Some people who are gay will over the years become straight. Some who are straight become gay. Some who are bi become straight. Some who are straight become bi, etc. She said this a very controversial idea, though, because it makes it harder to get legal protection for gays if you say that sexuality can change.

I think no one will ever know for sure. People just need to accept people however they are.

And that isn't true. Is she a psychiatrist? Me thinks she needs a bit more studying. :rolleyes:

People who are Bi can change, but it's not an actual change at all. People are either more straight or more gay. They are in fact one or the other predominately.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This all comes from those odious (and misinformed) chestnuts that:

1) Same-sex attraction in men is "unnatural";
2) Men with same-sex attraction are inherently less masculine than men with opposite-sex attraction;
3) Any man who don't live up to the rigors of expectation regarding "masculinity" are weak, flawed and therefore "feminine".

Isn't all this sexist bullshit just too much for our contemporary society? When will we finally be able to throw off the crust of culturally-historical expectations from our children and ourselves?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
This all comes from those odious (and misinformed) chestnuts that:

1) Same-sex attraction in men is "unnatural";
2) Men with same-sex attraction are inherently less masculine than men with opposite-sex attraction;
3) Any man who don't live up to the rigors of expectation regarding "masculinity" are weak, flawed and therefore "feminine".

Isn't all this sexist bullshit just too much for our contemporary society? When will we finally be able to throw off the crust of culturally-historical expectations from our children and ourselves?

Let me be devil's advocate, Bbucko.
I am fascinated by the question, "What causes homosexuality?"
I don't think the question implies that homosexuality is unnatural (though I do suppose that most people asking it, do make that assumption ... but it's not a necessary assumption, and it's not my assumption).
You might phrase the question this way: "There is a great range of sexual expression among humans, from the (more or less exclusively) hetero- through the (more or less exclusively) homosexual. What are the factors that cause this spread of tendency?"
The question just implies a wishing to know about the human in all its diversity.
It can be a perfectly innocuous, indeed, healthy question.
(And of course, I have to recognize that there may not be a really telling answer ... just data. I may have to say, 'Things are as they are, full stop.' Which is never a bad conclusion, anyway.)

I wouldn't dispute your second and third points.

It doesn't have to be sexist bullshit, though it often is.

And it doesn't have to involve expectations particularly.

Merely the observation that there is an observable range ... and a natural human curiosity about why.

And in case you didn't know, I hold this position as a 97.2 percent gay man.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
My presumption is that the physiology of sexual arousal is no different between men. But simply that the stimulant is not the same.

Would gay men like to have children with their male partners?

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm chiming in a bit late, I think. And I admit I haven't read all the posts because there just isn't time, and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

I was married twice, for over 2 decades. I have been attracted to both men and women since I can remember. My father abused the hell out of me. In my mid 40's I was diagnosed bipolar with a boat load of other fun things. To this day no one can clearly tell me whether the severe abuse drove me nuts, finally settling into bipolar syndrome, nor can anyone tell me that I am bisexual for the same reasons.

But whatever the reasons are, this IS who I am. I get to deal with the whole boatload regardless of hateful conservative Christians, and any other fag-hating religion. (Which, from what I understand, includes all of them.)

So my take is screw the articles about what causes it. Screw the articles about the causes and effects of mental illness. There are NO clear answers that I can determine and I've read library of books on abuse, recovery, homosexuality, bipolar and mental illness.

I am level now, more often than not. I am happier than I have ever known. My kids adore me and I adore them, and my lover makes my life as complete as I make his.

I think that until we walk in each other's shoes a while, we cannot judge, and although the articles was not taking a judgmental view, I think answers to some things can't be known at this point in the earth's history.

So my take is I believe we should all stop being zealots with a cause and try to get along, become of accepting of the good in the people around us, and for those people who truly aren't good, round them up and make them live with each other.

scottbud

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think its bollocks how would you explain all the rcorded cases of homosexuality in animals then?

Me, I believe mother nature has taken it upon herself to try and control our population growth so there for its just how things are, end of story.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Oftentimes people try to make relationships out of things and come to cause and effect conclusions. It was once noted that mothers of autistic children were often cold and unresponsive, and it was believed that this was why the children became autistic. Further research indicated the opposite, that autistic children caused their mothers to become cold and unresponsive to them, due to the typical aloofness of autistic children. Could not the relationship between gay children and detached fathers be a similar case? What if fathers somehow sense early on that their sons may be gay and detach themselves from them? What if all the hypotheses about how gay children are raised are really backwards in their cause and effect in their reasoning? Something to think about.
:)

HornyWisconsin

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This confuses me, I dont really want to bring religion into this buuuut...

If God knows everything before it happens and knows what people will do... Why did got let human beings be gay if in the bible he shuns homosexuality? He knew people were going to have that lifestyle, If God didnt want homosexuals then he should've killed them off before they were born.(not to be offensive to people, sorry if it is)

but think about it... the bible is kind of redundant there...