The CCR5-delta 32 mutation

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It appears fewer people know about this than I thought would.

Jason_els and I touched on it in the "surviving the 70s and 80s" thread but here's a bit more about the mutation:

First read THIS

Then read THIS

This quote is key:

"..The CCR5-delta 32 mutation was already known for a different reason—people with one copy of the CCR5-delta 32 mutation are resistant to HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. People with 2 copies are virtually immune to HIV."

Jason: Here is the PBS documentary I spoke of on the other thread.

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thx for this info. I'll check it out. Oddly enuf I was at dinner one night w/Nick8 and Jeff and we discussed this very topic or possibility since we all survived unscathed personally. The topic of being immune came up.

BiggerInTexas8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not that common sometimes more than people want to admit it is just luck than genetics. Also it does not mean that you are somehow immune to all strains of HIV or there's also that genetic mutation that makes it so if you get HIV you will not go into AIDS but of course there's always other strains of HIV. Even if I were immune to HIV I would not be so foolish or reckless to bareback like it was the 70s or 80s those days are over.

Last edited:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Even if I were immune to HIV I would not be so foolish or reckless to bareback like it was the 70s or 80s those days are over.

The very last reason I posted about the CCR5-delta 32 mutation was to suggest ANYONE (gay or straight) let down their guard and practice unsafe sex. I should hope that would go without saying but I'm saying (writing) it nonetheless.

But there appears to be something to the CCR5-delat 32 mutation.

It is my fervent hope that something can be gleaned from the study of the mutation which will benefit EVERYONE.

If one reads the articles I cited in my OP I think anyone interested enough in the education and betterment of us as a species can take it from there.

The very last reason I posted about the CCR5-delta 32 mutation was to suggest ANYONE (gay or straight) let down their guard and practice unsafe sex. I should hope that would go without saying but I'm saying (writing) it nonetheless.

But there appears to be something to the CCR5-delat 32 mutation.

It is my fervent hope that something can be gleaned from the study of the mutation which will benefit EVERYONE.

If one reads the articles I cited in my OP I think anyone interested enough in the education and betterment of us as a species can take it from there.

Why not?

That's really the 800 lb. gorilla in the room isn't it? If you know you won't get HIV, then why not be the biggest slut you can be? I was curious if I had the gene and looked for a genetic testing company to see if I have it. To my surprise, I found that none of the companies would test for the gene. Many of them used to test for it on demand. Now I can't find one.

It's my guess that the companies discovered why people were asking for the test and decided that telling someone they were unlikely or immune to HIV was somehow socially irresponsible and so now refuse to test.

What does this say about the values of the people who run these companies and the society they feel they're being responsible to?

Imagine you're hiring personnel to work in a TB clinic and had a test which could screen people for a genetic resistance to TB. I would want to test the personnel I hire and place those who are immune to TB in closest contact with the patients for the benefit of patients and my staff. Same thing if I worked with ebola, malaria, or any other dread disease.

Yet if I ran an HIV clinic, I could not get my personnel tested for susceptibility to HIV and then place those least at risk for transmission in the front lines of working with infected bodily fluids.

What does that say about HIV, our society, homosexuality, sex, and morality?

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Jason has posited that I might have it and if there were a test available I would like to know. I've never had "survivor's guilt" and, indeed, have never truly understood it but it would be interesting to know if this were why I never contracted the virus from either of my partners who went on to die from it.

It wouldn't change my sexual behaviour, however, as it would be no "guarantee".

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd like to know too Nick.

I guess Jason because I've been conditioned so long to practice safe sex.

(Interesting what you had to say about the refusal to test you for the gene.... hmmmm)

What does this say about the values of the people who run these companies and the society they feel they're being responsible to?

A very good question to which I don't have an easy answer...

Imagine you're hiring personnel to work in a TB clinic and had a test which could screen people for a genetic resistance to TB. I would want to test the personnel I hire and place those who are immune to TB in closest contact with the patients for the benefit of patients and my staff. Same thing if I worked with ebola, malaria, or any other dread disease.

Yet if I ran an HIV clinic, I could not get my personnel tested for susceptibility to HIV and then place those least at risk for transmission in the front lines of working with infected bodily fluids.

Not great things.

But imagine, just imagine, if the thing is as real as I suspect it is.

Europeans (and in particular regional Englishmen) immune from HIV?

What a can of worms.

That's really the 800 lb. gorilla in the room isn't it?

It certainly is.

My honey's background is much like yours Jason - English and a few lines to Hudson River Dutch families. He's another who'd like to know. We discussed it at length last night.

Last edited:

BiggerInTexas8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why not?

That's really the 800 lb. gorilla in the room isn't it? If you know you won't get HIV, then why not be the biggest slut you can be? I was curious if I had the gene and looked for a genetic testing company to see if I have it. To my surprise, I found that none of the companies would test for the gene. Many of them used to test for it on demand. Now I can't find one.

It's my guess that the companies discovered why people were asking for the test and decided that telling someone they were unlikely or immune to HIV was somehow socially irresponsible and so now refuse to test.

JasonEls-Why all of the paranoid conspiracy theories? There are genetic testing companies out there that will test for it. You realize that while it's not foolproof the key word being fool just like the people who think that they can bareback and swallow with anyone if they are Poz or have this genetic mutation, that PEP can work in some cases if someone is exposed to HIV. I agree with Stronzo that nobody should be having bareback sex or swallowing like it's the 70s or 80s anymore even if they are Poz or have this mutation. Then there is the false idea that if someone is Poz and undetectable that people who are HIV NEG will not get HIV at all from them. I know there was that Swiss study out but that study was majorly flawed, biased, and it's a dangerous false idea that will cause more people to stop using safer sex and get HIV.

Last edited:

JasonEls-Why all of the paranoid conspiracy theories? There are genetic testing companies out there that will test for it.

Where? I found one and their web page crashes and they're not CLIA certified. If you've found others, please let us know.

You realize that while it's not foolproof the key word being fool just like the people who think that they can bareback and swallow with anyone if they are Poz or have this genetic mutation, that PEP can work in some cases if someone is exposed to HIV. I agree with Stronzo that nobody should be having bareback sex or swallowing like it's the 70s or 80s anymore even if they are Poz or have this mutation. Then there is the false idea that if someone is Poz and undetectable that people who are HIV NEG will not get HIV at all from them. I know there was that Swiss study out but that study was majorly flawed, biased, and it's a dangerous false idea that will cause more people to stop using safer sex and get HIV.

Why though? If you're immune to HIV then you're immune to HIV. How is it a bad idea to engage in unprotected sex if you can't get the disease you'd be protecting yourself against otherwise? Oh sure you can get any other assortment of nasty things, but you won't get HIV.

The other examples don't apply in this instance because PEP and Poz-on-Poz are risk factors for people who can get HIV. Those with two copies of the CCR5-delta 32 are immune so they're not going to need PEP and cannot engage on poz-on-poz because they're never going to be poz.

Or is it simply a case of we're so brainwashed into saying that we should all engage in safe sex that even those who don't need to are urged to do the same because if the majority of people can't engage in unprotected sex, outside of a tested and monogamous relationship, then no one should?