The Children of Hurin

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ethyl, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Has anyone read the latest by Tolkien? What did you think?

2. dong20

Gold Member

Stories from beyond the grave, that would surely be worth a read. Is it another 'posthumus complilation' by his son, Christopher?

3. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes. I read about it in an interview with his grandson, Adam. The illustrations shown in the interview were lovely. I've read the others and i'll probably read this anyway but i'm curious to know what other people think.

4. dong20

Gold Member

I tried to read the Silmarillion but I couldn't get into to it.

I stumbled on this list of his secondary works. I knew he had written a lot more but didn't know how much. I've read perhaps half a dozen from all his works and then only the 'popular' ones; LOTR, The Hobbit etc. Some sound interesting enough to try and track down.:smile:
    1. THE ADVENTURES OF TOM BOMBADIL, 1990, HMCo, art by Roger Garland (also reprinted in THE TOLKIEN READER)
    2. A MIDDLE ENGLISH VOCABULARY, Oxford, 1922 (textbook)
    3. THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT, annotated by Douglas Anderson, 1988, HMCo
    4. "Finn and Hengest: The Fragment and the Episode" (collection of essays and papers from Oxford), 1983, HMCo (edited by Alan Bliss)
    5. BILBO'S LAST SONG, 1990, HMCo, illustrated by Pauline Baynes
    6. MR. BLISS, 1983, HMCo (also HarperCollins?)
    7. OLD ENGLISH EXODUS, Clarendon Press, 1980 (hardback)
    8. OLIPHAUNT, 1989, Calico Books (poem illustrated by Hank Hinton)
    9. POEMS AND STORIES, 1994, HMCo, cover art by Alan Lee
    10. SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT / PEARL / SIR ORFEO, 1975, Ballantine (Tolkien's translations)
    11. SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT (trans. JRRT and E.V. Gordon), Oxford, 1925
    12. SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR, 1967, HMCo, illustrated by Pauline Baynes
    13. FARMER GILES OF HAM (Grafton)
    14. SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR & FARMER GILES OF HAM, 1969, Ballantine, illustrated by Pauline Baynes
    15. SMITH OF WOOTTON MAJOR & FARMER GILES OF HAM, 1975, Ballantine, red or white cover border with art by Hildebrandt brothers
    16. [1,5] THE TOLKIEN READER, 1966, Ballantine, art by Pauline Baynes (Tolkien's Magic Ring, The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son, Tree and Leaf, Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil)
    17. TREE AND LEAF, 1964, George Allen and Unwin [British] - contains "Leaf by Niggle" and "On Fairy-stories"
    18. TREE AND LEAF, 1964, Unwin Books [British], cover art by JRRT
    19. UNFINISHED TALES, 1988, Ballantine, yellow cover (paperback)
    20. UNFINISHED TALES, 1980, HMCo, green hardback with stars (tan slip cover)
    21. "Leaf by Niggle" [1945]
    22. "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" [Lecture 1936]
    23. "On Fairy-stories" [Lecture 1939]
    24. "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son" [continuation of Anglo-Saxon THE BATTLE OF MALDON]
    His son has written tomes...there's a whole list here, where the above came from.

A Concise Listing of Tolkien Books

Draft saved Draft deleted