The Christmas Secular fall out.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JustAsking You said that you arent popular at parties ? That shows the lame that most people really is . You give very interesting stuff to talk about.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Christmas is a Christian holiday for Christians... For non Christians it has never been a Christian holiday.
That is true in nonchristians countries but you could argue that even in
" christian" countries this holiday is hardly christian at all.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Everyone, have a great Christmas / Xmas / Chanuka / Kwanzaa / Holiday / Solstice / Festivus / Saturnalia / season if I don't talk to you before then.
Harumph! I am EVER so offended that you left me out. What do you have against those of us who may celebrate Junkanoo?

(just kidding, of course, but Junkanoo does sound like fun!)

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That is true in nonchristians countries but you could argue that even in
" christian" countries this holiday is hardly christian at all.

But there are no christian countries... people are christian or not... and it is only the Christian people in this world that celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. Everyone else puts their own meaning to the holiday.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But there are no christian countries... people are christian or not... and it is only the Christian people in this world that celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. Everyone else puts their own meaning to the holiday.
Christians are only 33 percent of world population . The rest of the world not celebrate christmas because other religions or traditions . In Christian countries some people are nominal christians ( baptize but not practicing ) and others are practicing christians.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You are kidding, right? England is a christian country. Any country that has an official religion is a (insert religion name) country. You folks in Wales may not like it, but the Church of England is the official UK religion.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are kidding, right? England is a christian country. Any country that has an official religion is a (insert religion name) country. You folks in Wales may not like it, but the Church of England is the official UK religion.
Right. Most countries in Europe are " christian" ( nominally)
North, central and south America is a " christian" area too. Even some countries in Africa are predominally " christian"

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Christians are only 33 percent of world population . The rest of the world not celebrate christmas because other religions or traditions . In Christian countries some people are nominal christians ( baptize but not practicing ) and others are practicing christians.

But my point is, only practicing Christians are going to truly celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. Being Christian in name does not make one a Christian. The OP seemed to imply that practicing Christians should see Christmas the same way as non practicing Christians, but why???? because there are so many non practicing Christians?... seems a non sensical argument to me. One that has more sense to me is... if one is a non Christian, why are you on holiday at all? Why are you using religious traditions as a basis to go on holiday. If you do want a holiday, by all means do that, but stop leaning on a religious tradition, just have a week off. How many atheists will work Christmas day for normal rate? not many I expect. If they were really going to be consistent in their position they would see it as just another working day.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But my point is, only practicing Christians are going to truly celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. Being Christian in name does not make one a Christian. The OP seemed to imply that practicing Christians should see Christmas the same way as non practicing Christians, but why???? because there are so many non practicing Christians?... seems a non sensical argument to me. One that has more sense to me is... if one is a non Christian, why are you on holiday at all? Why are you using religious traditions as a basis to go on holiday. If you do want a holiday, by all means do that, but stop leaning on a religious tradition, just have a week off. How many atheists will work Christmas day for normal rate? not many I expect. If they were really going to be consistent in their position they would see it as just another working day.
I understand what you are saying but most non christians people dont care about the holiday perse , they only see this as free days to spend with family and friends and to bring gifts to others persons. If christmas holidays werent free from work you can bet that most nonchristian people would ignore it.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I understand what you are saying but most non christians people dont care about the holiday perse , they only see this as free days to spend with family and friends and to bring gifts to others persons. If christmas holidays werent free from work you can bet that most nonchristian people would ignore it.

I think most people have just been brought up with the tradition, and just do it out of habit. But I was trying to answer the OP's original statement. Christmas means very little in the way of religion to non Christians but to practicing Christians it means a lot and one should be mindful of that.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think most people have just been brought up with the tradition, and just do it out of habit. But I was trying to answer the OP's original statement. Christmas means very little in the way of religion to non Christians but to practicing Christians it means a lot and one should be mindful of that.
I agree with you in this statement 100% percent.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I have no problem with there being an official religion, one of the great things about our country is that we have a choice to participate in the state religion or not... most don't.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Right. Most countries in Europe are " christian" ( nominally)
North, central and south America is a " christian" area too. Even some countries in Africa are predominally " christian"
But I wasn't talking about "nominally" christian countries, I'm talking about "officially" christian countries. There is a difference!

How many atheists will work Christmas day for normal rate? not many I expect. If they were really going to be consistent in their position they would see it as just another working day.
I'm not an atheist, I'm a non-theist. I have no problem at all working on christmas day. I do not expect to receive any more or less pay than my coworkers receive. Paid day off, double time for working, standard pay rate for the day, or day off without pay - it doesn't matter to me, as long as it is consistent across the board. I certainly don't think that those who claim to be christians should be rewarded, and those who do not claim to be christians should be penalized... or the other way around.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Then I must also agree with you 100% .... lol:biggrin1:
Actually I prefer that you dont agree with me . If all people agree with me this discussions would turn out to be very boring.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But I wasn't talking about "nominally" christian countries, I'm talking about "officially" christian countries. There is a difference!

I'm not an atheist, I'm a non-theist. I have no problem at all working on christmas day. I do not expect to receive any more or less pay than my coworkers receive. Paid day off, double time for working, standard pay rate for the day, or day off without pay - it doesn't matter to me, as long as it is consistent across the board. I certainly don't think that those who claim to be christians should be rewarded, and those who do not claim to be christians should be penalized... or the other way around.

But don't you think the law should be changed and it be flat rate for everyone?
Just because your coworkers get a higher rate for that day does not make the basis to pay that rate of pay proper.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I was referring when I said nominal christian country to a country that the state professed it as the main religion but this dont mean that all people in this country practice that religion.