The church is in many ways homophobic-- your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_ChurchBoyDavid, Jun 5, 2009.

1. B_ChurchBoyDavid

B_ChurchBoyDavid New Member

After browsing through the site, i noticed there are is an exceptionally large amount of gays living here.

As you know, i am a christian, and my religion states that being gay is wrong.

I do not beleive this at all, its the one part of my beautiful religion that is total bollox. I couldnt give two hoots about it!

Just want to know your views on the way the church views homosexuality?

2. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

I don't think that homosexuality is necessarily inconsistent with Christianity, unless you cherry pick passages and try to apply them blindly out of their historical context.

But then again, the Bible is so vague and inconsistent, that you can argue most anything based on it. That is one of the many problems with Christianity and all religions.

In my opinion the religious right in America is one of the most hateful and destructive groups in the world today. Its rampant homophobia is horrifying. Hopefully, the religious right is in decline, but I am not yet counting out its ability to appeal to the worst in people.

3. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Tbh, the church has a lot of wrong views....
    The idea behind things are good, but some are wrong and funny enough a lot are sex-related.

For example the-wear-no-condom-fact. The church believe that you should only make love to get a child but not for pleasure. That is because they believe nature wants it that way because all animals do it. So sex isn't for pleasure in their eyes.
    Well what did science discovered: Bonobos (the monkeys) have sex for pleasure and not always for reproduction...
    And that is also the issue with being homosexual. The bible says: love the one next too you. But no love for homosexuals because that is wrong... Hmmm :rolleyes:
    I think they have to look behind the words written in the Bible and don't take it that literal.

4. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I wouldn't call it a beautiful religion. The word beautiful means that it's actually good. There are so many wrong doings in that religion.

My opinions on the church is that they are a bunch of failures. Child molester priests, being against gay marriage, being against gays in general.

Tell me what the church has actually done that is good and includes every person?

5. suineg

suineg New Member

Not necessarily. A nuclear blast is a beautiful thing if viewed from a far, engineering marvel, etc., but it would not be beautiful if you where in the blast zone.

6. chicagosam

Gold Member

It seems you have learned the positive message of your religion and not the bigotry and hatred its spiritual leaders often impose on and require of their congregations. Good for you, David. Jesus would be proud.

7. B_Castello

B_Castello New Member

I can speak for Canada (but I'm sure it's the same for USA). The church have done tromendous thing for many great people. Starting with education and medical tru out history.

Sure they was some molester priest, it doesn't mean ALL priest are pedophile, and the pope John paul II have ask for pardon from those horrible story.

Peter said: the bible is against sexual pleasure, and that is not true Peter. But it's true that the bible is VERY CLEAR about hommosexualy and comdamn it.

The position of the Catholic church is close about condom, hommosexualty, abortion etc. But it fallows the bible, and I understand the firm position they have, and they will never change about that, so as the bible.

I was brought in non religious family, or should I said non pratiquant, and the most funny thing is that I am half arabic (mother is Musulman) and half occidental (and catholic). And I fund that a lot of people, unfortunately missinterprete the Bible or the Coran. I beleive in God, I try to do go every day, but I sin (gay) and it's in my tripe, so I dont know, but one day I will have to discuss this issu with God :smile:

So my penis is circonsize, now you know why lol

8. invisibleman

Gold Member

I think that some Christians do deal with homosexuality with a peripheral vision or with a blind eye. My mom didn't know any gays. All she thought about gays were that they wanted to be women. And that disgusted her. What was she supposed to know anyway? She was one of many Southern women. Raised up in church doctrine. She even went through two factions of Christianity: She was Baptist. She was Catholic-- to lastly becoming a Methodist. Amazing.

And when I came out to my mom, it was rough for a couple of months. But I didn't come out to rebel, I did so out of honesty. I wasn't trying to create a situation to appease my mom's desire to be married and all. I was never interested in women. And it did help me at the time that women didn't like me in high school. I wasn't the guy you know now then. I was a real Christian minded teen then. Kinda prudish. I think that I would've been Mormon had I been exposed to them then. (The whole LDS Elder homoeroticism would've been very alluring to me then.)

But I rarely go to church now--l do get uncomfortable there. And it doesn't help that some of those church women at the church I belonged to are really wanting to get married and have kids. I just want to have a life and a love of my own. Based on a lot of my experiences with church regarding me and my sexuality...I don't find religion of any kind alluring. Christians deal with the world on certain terms. I want to deal with the world as it is.

#8 invisibleman, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  9. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    CHRIST did not condemn homosexuals, the CHURCH does

10. D_Dick_Dock_Doe

D_Dick_Dock_Doe Account Disabled

Sorry, peeps. I find NOTHING endearing about organized religion. Homophobia is one thing on a long list of idiotic views based on ridiculous dogma that does nothing but keep human beings at each other's throats.

I'm an atheist and proud of it.

#10 D_Dick_Dock_Doe, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  11. Jason

Gold Member

Evangelical protestant churches see the Bible as the word of God, and therefore give considerable weight to what it says against homosexuality.

The catholic tradition sees the pope as Christ's vicar on earth, infallible in matters of doctrine, and therefore the catholic church and church tradition is used to give dictats on morality, including the refusal to accept condoms.

A Quaker view might be that Christ not the Bible is the word of God, and that the Bible is written by men. The Bible is an imperfect reflection of God's purpose. Rather God is to be understood by direct experience of God.

My view is that the evangelical protestants are simply wrong in what they think they have understood about homosexuality. The Bible's comments on homosexuality take a lot of interpreting and contextualising, and anyway are the views of fallible men (particular Paul). They are in my view in danger of missing the core message or love and redemption.

The catholic view I find extreme. If they really do have a hot line to God then it is not up to us to question God, and homosexuals and condoms are bad. If they don't have such a hotline then their opposition to condoms and the resulting spread of AIDS and the terrible over-population of much of S America is one of the most evil things ever done in human history.

For me that leaves the Quaker view as the one that is persuasive. All humans are equal, and life choices are to be respected. There is support for homosexuality - and no ban on condoms.

12. D_Carroll Condomripper

The church is in EVERY way homophobic. And therefore, hypocritical of the acceptance they "teach".

13. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I was raised Catholic too and I hated all of it. Right down to the stupid sunday school teachings. Religion is a huge failure in my opinion, if people took it seriously, then there would be no sin.

If "god" loves us all then why do people discriminate against others.

14. SEXXXX

SEXXXX New Member

Albums:
    when one says he/she's CHRISTIAN, I always thought he/she's following CHRIST

if one wants to follow church, call yourselves CHURCHIAN

15. dreamer20

Gold Member

pieter's statement re: the bible: is correct specifically with regard to the New Testament doctrine of the anti-sex apostle Paul who condemned even thinking about sex. He saw himself as being morally superior to other men as they had sexual desires whereas he did not. He even proposed that celibacy was preferable to marriage.

Using this doctrine primarily St. Augustine formulated the Catholic Church's negative attitude towards sex as I mentioned in this post:

Note the Old Testament attitude towards sex differed from the New, as sex was celebrated therein.

Jesus only asked that we love one another as his ultimate commandment and he did not discriminate against homosexuals.

Would Jesus discriminate?

Excerpt from the link:

[SIZE=-1]A classic example is provided in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Matthew 8[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]. There, a Roman soldier asked Jesus to heal his "pais." This is a Greek term often used in ancient times to refer to a servant who was his master's same-sex partner. [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]K.J. Cover, Greek Homosexuality (Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1978), p. 16. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] When the soldier said, "Lord, my 'partner' is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress," Jesus was immediately compassionate and spoke no words of exclusion or condemnation. He simply said, "I will come and heal him."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]In the dialogue that followed, Jesus commended this Roman solider for having more faith than anyone he had ever met and assured him that he would sit down in the Kingdom of Heaven with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.By this miracle of healing, Jesus preserved this loving same-sex relationship...[/SIZE]

16. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Some you need to read the whole Bible before you start preaching. For one thing, Hebrews 13:4 says that marriage is to be honored by all, and the marriage bed undefiled. It means it's okay to be married but cheating on your spouse is not allowed.
    Now, cigarbabe, lone me some lit cigars to burn ashes.

17. greencalplus

greencalplus New Member

Try the Quakers/Religious Society of Friends.

18. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

I think a great deal focuses on how one views and interprets the Bible. This is perhaps a bit of a caricature but, in my experience, the conservative evangelical tradition tends to take a very literal - and selective - view of Scripture. A lot of scholars, particularly those of a more liberal mindset, tend to question things a lot more. Some conservative evangelicals will happily dig out Romans chapter 1 and use it to justify the condemnation of homosexuality. However the liberal scholar will point out that St Paul only mentions in it in very vague terms and condemns a great many other vices in the same passage. He or she may also point out that Paul was a man of his time and that the original Greek text actually suggests a condemnation of the male prostitutes who were actually associated with the temple in Jerusalem. Paul could not have been referring to two men living together in a stable sexual relationship because such things were unknown in first century Palestine.

19. chicagosam

Gold Member

20. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

There are many christian churches, some more tolerant than others. For me I personally think that the three desert religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam are simply not true in the most basic way: that is, that there is a "Creator God". The rest of religion is pretty much common sense about how to live. But to me the fundamental premise isn't true. I think humans created "god" in their own image, so he's not a very pleasant character.

As far as homophobia goes, the christian belief system denigrates the body, and all things "material" and "of the flesh", so that's the reason for fear of gay/lesbian people who have sex just for the pleasure (and as all christians know, sex is bad, bad, bad! unless of course you're married to the person).

#20 B_Hung Jon, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted