The church is in many ways homophobic-- your thoughts on this?

The Christian Gospel is given to all who will consider it.

And anyone attempting to spread the Christian Gospel makes a serious mistake when they aspire to prejudge the value of any individual who might hear or accept it.

It is not up to those who spread the gospel to pick and choose who is most deserving.

No one person is better than the other person (none good, no not one). This includes preachers, popes, or kings.

(13th Chapter of Luke)

Consider: Homosexuality (same sex attraction) is heavily rooted in human biological development. It occurs regularly throughout history and is projected to represent 12-16 % of the human population.

Consider: Heterosexuality (opposite sex attraction) is heavily rooted in human biological development. It constitutes the dominant sexual urge and is represented in approximately 85 % of the human population. Due to its dominant role in human culture it has come to define nearly all aspects of human culture (heteronormalizaton).

Consider: Homophobia is a lifestyle rooted in misinformation and fear. It's primary oracle is focused on elevating some forms of heterosexual urges and customs above self, others, and God. It is a classic example of idolatry where worship is given to the (hetero culture) creature and not the creator. (Romans 1:25)

Everyone is harmed by idolatry (& homophobia).

Reactions: BIGBULL29

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
\ This left my mom 30 years old with two young kids and both sides of the church telling her that she cant remarry because she is technically still married to my dad.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but whoever told your mom that was wrong. Widows and widowers are allowed to remarry in the Catholic Church. There is no marriage in Heaven. I.e., it doesn't matter whether your married or not once you're dead.

handcuffsfan4

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but whoever told your mom that was wrong. Widows and widowers are allowed to remarry in the Catholic Church. There is no marriage in Heaven. I.e., it doesn't matter whether your married or not once you're dead.
Well my mom is mormon, it might have been there. But my mom also got money from VA that would vanish the moment she got married. Plus my dad was filipino, so it may have been more of a culture thing. it really dosnt matter to me, because i have my own type of faith.
The whole concept of bad people going to hell really irks me, so instead i believe in reincarnation and karma. I think of god as the collective consciousness of the universe, that we are all hardwired into (similar to how computers are connected to the internet, yet more inherently). To me a persons soul or vibration, or whatever you want to call it, has no inherent gender or race, so things like homosexual and interracial relationships have no weight on ones connection with god or karma or the afterlife. Karma is decided on ones connection with god which is personal and depends more on ones intentions and learning from mistakes than direct actions.
Sorry if im rambling, but I want others to realize that just because you arent religious dosnt mean that you dont have god in your heart. I realize that everyone has different beliefes and no one should try to force theirs down anyones throat.

freeballininnyc

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
After browsing through the site, i noticed there are is an exceptionally large amount of gays living here.

As you know, i am a christian, and my religion states that being gay is wrong.

I do not beleive this at all, its the one part of my beautiful religion that is total bollox. I couldnt give two hoots about it!

Just want to know your views on the way the church views homosexuality?

Read "UnClobber" by Colby Martin. A thorough exploration of whether the verses that appear to condemn homosexuality in the Bible actually do. A really good read.

Reactions: 622675

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Unfortunately religion for a vast number of people is just the adult version of Santa Claus.

If you need to be bribed to be a good person, are you really a good person?

So many people put so much faith in something just because their parents and their conmunity told them to. If so called Christians would simply treat others as Jesus would have rather than hang on every word in an old book, the world would be a better place.

Even if you don’t buy into the Christian faith or even into the existence of a supreme being it is worthwhile knowing how different religious teachings impact the world you live in.

From the fifty thousand foot view I don’t think you can find any human activity that hasn’t been totally screwed up by human ignorance coupled with self-serving bias. Christianity is no exception.

Like Mahatma Gandhi said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.”

drpumps

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
After browsing through the site, i noticed there are is an exceptionally large amount of gays living here.

As you know, i am a christian, and my religion states that being gay is wrong.

I do not beleive this at all, its the one part of my beautiful religion that is total bollox. I couldnt give two hoots about it!

Just want to know your views on the way the church views homosexuality?

Hey bud I was in the same place you are for quite a long time. Trying to reconcile what I felt was right and what organized denominations taught. I finally found a church that helped me reconcile what I believe and felt and what they taught. I found it in the Episcopal church. In my church. They not only understand that God created men and women that are gay but that he loves them and embraces them just as they are. They also bless their unions. God gets the blame for so much that man fears and don't understand.

Ponto

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Alice Springs (Northern Territory, Australia)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is a good thing I am an unbeliever.Don't give a rat's what any Church, Mosque, Synagogue, Temple or Citadel think about anything. I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Quran or the Bible or the Torah, but it doesn't mean I think they are worth reading or considering as anything but rambling rubbish. I am quite happy to accept anyone as long as they don't interfere in my life. My mother was Catholic and my father Presbyterian, they both had strange religious views which I never understood. I was raised Presbyterian and I was confirmed as such by the congregation when I was 12, after that I left all that religious stuff, I did enough to keep the parents happy, and I was not going to do any more.

Judging from my sex life and not respecting any marriage boundaries I guess I would have to wear a large red F on my shirt for fornicator, and pay some sort of fine. The Christians hang on to the Old Testament, the Jewish books, and it is those books that go against homosexuals and some poor man who pulled out his penis before he ejaculated into his dead brother's wife, Onan. Anyway it is those Jewish books which talk about abominations and so on. I don't understand why Christians care for those books as Christianity has to do with Jesus and all those who followed him, his death and so on, not some bunch of stupid books that tell you it is unclean to eat a camel because it chews the cud but doesn't have cloven feet.
I have no own religion and it is based on do whatever you want, and fuck anyone who tells you not to.

Reactions: hunghorse30