The continuous republican attack on the affordable care act...

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I participated in the ACA and my insurance premium increased 300% by the third year, and there seem to be very high prices deductibles associated with the ACA health plan, now I enjoy having excellent health care through my employer with a $10 copay, $10 prescription with zero deductible on anything

Interesting. My brother switched employers and his new one does not have insurance. His ACA premiums are half of what he paid under his employer plan, splitting the cost 50-50 between them His coverage is better and his copays are down 75%.

lightining

Legendary Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Interesting. My brother switched employers and his new one does not have insurance. His ACA premiums are half of what he paid under his employer plan, splitting the cost 50-50 between them His coverage is better and his copays are down 75%.

I was speaking my own personal experience with the ACA, the monthly premium was less than what I was paying on my own but the deductibles were much higher, then I got a new job which I spoke of how to explain what my insurance is like now

D

deleted15807

Thank you, Freddie. I'll tell you what they're going to run on. The same old hate fueled, scare mongering, divisive rhetoric and ideology that they AND Trump have LONG run on. Because it's a formula that has been PROVEN to work among their constituency, the ones who object to being called deplorable.

Let us not FORGET, that Republican voters had a good DOZEN candidates to choose from in 2016.

Yet they fell all over themselves getting to the polls to elect and empower the MOST OFFENSIVE and MALIGNANT OF THE LOT: a race baiting hate spewing bigot, con man, and DEMAGOGUE... one that, in spite of all that's followed since, STILL enjoys their FULL support.

Regardless, if nothing more, these stories of people who, in the face of such unbridled MALICE, are STILL trying to DO THE RIGHT THING, at least gives one hope that MAYBE, all is not lost... YET.

speaking of which:

On being civil to incivility, or...

They're ALL IN at this point. Who else would flirt with white supremacists and Nazis and build a wall to keep those people away? 200% fear based.

Reactions: b.c.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I participated in the ACA and my insurance premium increased 300% by the third year, and there seem to be very high prices deductibles associated with the ACA health plan, now I enjoy having excellent health care through my employer with a $10 copay, $10 prescription with zero deductible on anything

You're fortunate enough to have that kind of coverage through your employer. And guess what? The ACA doesn't prevent you from doing so. Not everyone is in that situation, though, so it's helpful for them to have other options.

kidfresh512

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You're fortunate enough to have that kind of coverage through your employer. And guess what? The ACA doesn't prevent you from doing so. Not everyone is in that situation, though, so it's helpful for them to have other options.
Exactly. And if the GOP hadn't lied for 10 years and said they had a better plan rather than waste all that time trying to repeal and take away peoples Insurance. They could have instead made necessary FIXES that would have benefited everyone.

No one says ACA is perfect. But, instead of trying to fix it, make necessary changes that will benefit, and cover more. GOP just sabotage and undercut it instead. While providing no viable alternatives other than taking away insurance from millions. In a country this prosperous we should not have so many people without insurance. Or so many millions that are one healthcare problem away from destitution.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Exactly. And if the GOP hadn't lied for 10 years and said they had a better plan rather than waste all that time trying to repeal and take away peoples Insurance. They could have instead made necessary FIXES that would have benefited everyone.

No one says ACA is perfect. But, instead of trying to fix it, make necessary changes that will benefit, and cover more. GOP just sabotage and undercut it instead. While providing no viable alternatives other than taking away insurance from millions. In a country this prosperous we should not have so many people without insurance. Or so many millions that are one healthcare problem away from destitution.

Preach!

Reactions: keenobserver

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The cost of obstruction, and retrogressive, narrow minded policymaking:

Red States that refused to expand Medicaid under the ACA are seeing their rural hospitals close down
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...al-hospitals-close-down?utm_campaign=trending
"Only the most backward red states have refused to implement expanded Medicaid. Those states are now seeing a lot of their rural hospitals closing down, with many more rural hospitals in deep financial trouble.

Rural hospitals face a variety of challenges. They tend to serve aging communities that suffer from poor health and require expensive treatments. There are often severe doctor shortages in rural areas, and gaps in insurance coverage if patients have insurance at all.

And, several studies show that rural hospitals are closing at a faster rate in states that chose not to expand Medicaid coverage to poor residents under Obamacare."

MEANWHILE:

A story ran Sunday evening on NBC Nightly News, "In Search of Healthcare Solutions, showing the comparative costs of prescription drugs in Germany, $15.00 for insulin, as opposed to hundreds of dollars (WITH insurance) in the U.S.

(NOTE, NBC has seen fit to render some their individual Nightly News segments unavailable. Many can only be seen in viewing the full broadcasts. The story begins at 16:30):

Nightly News Full Broadcast (June 30th)

I had a personal experience with the ACA that turned me from a non-registered non-voter into a registered voting republican.

It more than doubled my monthly premium because, as a single gay man, my existing plan didn't meet the requirements of the ACA to provide me with OBGYN and pediatric dental benefits.

I mean, every single gay man needs OBGYN and pediatric dental coverage, right?

I couldn't afford the new nearly $300 a month premium and then had to drop my insurance.

I wasn't elegible for coverage under the ACA because my income wasn't high enough. That's right, it wasn't high enough. I didn't qualify for any other programs either.

Then there was that tax penalty for not being able to afford insurance. That had to take a genius to design that into the law.

But you know the Democrats loves gays... so much they force them to buy coverage we will never need. They also believe in health care for everyone... everyone but me because they took mine... after they said, "If you like your plan, you can keep it." What a load of BS.

And that is why I'm gay and right wing.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had a personal experience with the ACA that turned me from a non-registered non-voter into a registered voting republican.

It more than doubled my monthly premium because, as a single gay man, my existing plan didn't meet the requirements of the ACA to provide me with OBGYN and pediatric dental benefits.

I mean, every single gay man needs OBGYN and pediatric dental coverage, right?

I couldn't afford the new nearly $300 a month premium and then had to drop my insurance.

I wasn't elegible for coverage under the ACA because my income wasn't high enough. That's right, it wasn't high enough. I didn't qualify for any other programs either.

Then there was that tax penalty for not being able to afford insurance. That had to take a genius to design that into the law.

But you know the Democrats loves gays... so much they force them to buy coverage we will never need. They also believe in health care for everyone... everyone but me because they took mine... after they said, "If you like your plan, you can keep it." What a load of BS.

And that is why I'm gay and right wing.
You left out completely deluded and pulling this out of my ass.

For those seeking to educate themselves and not just here to spew bullshit...

Key Features of the Affordable Healthcare Act Law - MACMH

Last edited:

If you have a problem with it, call Anthem and then "The Merket Place". Representatives both places told me the exact same thing!

I can't find my old letter from Anthem. That would have been 5 years ago. I did find this.

"Pediatric dental coverage is one of the ten essential health benefits (EHBs) that the ACA has required on all individual and small group plans since 2014. But section 1302 of the ACA (see page 61) explains that a policy sold in an exchange without embedded pediatric dental coverage can still be a qualified health plan (QHP) as long as there is also a stand-alone pediatric dental plan available in the exchange."

Is pediatric dental coverage included in exchange plans?

More.

"But under the health reform legislation that President Obama signed in 2010, all individual and small group plans effective on or after January 1, 2014 (including plans sold through the exchanges and outside the exchanges) must include coverage for these ten essential health benefits — EHBs — with no annual or lifetime dollar limit:

1. hospitalization
  2. ambulatory services (visits to doctors and other healthcare professionals and outpatient hospital care)
  3. emergency services
  4. maternity and newborn care
  5. services for those suffering from mental health disorders and problems with substance abuse
  6. prescription drugs (including brand-name drugs and specialty drugs; the pre-ACA trend towards generic-only coverage was eliminated by the ACA)
  7. lab tests
  8. chronic disease management, “well” services and preventive services recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (including blood pressure screening, breast cancer screening, colorectal cancer screening, obesity screening and counseling; tobacco use counseling and interventions, and breastfeeding counseling)
  9. pediatric services for children, including dental and vision care (there is some flexibility on the inclusion of pediatric dental if the plan is purchased within the exchange)
  10. rehabilitative and “habilitative” services which include helping a person keep, learn or improve functioning for daily living. (Examples include therapy for a child who isn’t walking or talking at the expected age physical and occupational therapy, help for those experiencing problems with speech, and treatment for individuals suffering from a variety of disabilities.) Although all EHB must be covered without annual or lifetime caps on the dollar amount of the benefits, it’s very common to see plans with caps on the number of visits an enrollee can have for services like physical therapy or occupational therapy."

Obamacare’s essential health benefits

Last edited by a moderator:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

FYI: You can't "make too much money" to purchase health insurance on the ACA. Also: You said you couldn't afford $300.00 a month for health insurance. You do realize that is a very LOW premium.

Reactions: keenobserver

Right. You can't make too much. I said I was making too little. I was working 2 jobs at the time and still wasn't bringing in the required $1,000 a month. You have to make at least $12,000 a year to be eligible for coverage under the ACA. At least that's how it was in 2014 when I went through all of this.
According to an old recorded phone call I have between Anthem and I, my old monthly premium before the ACA was $143.44. It was going up to $290.45.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I can't find my old letter from Anthem. That would have been 5 years ago. I did find this.

"Pediatric dental coverage is one of the ten essential health benefits (EHBs) that the ACA has required on all individual and small group plans since 2014. But section 1302 of the ACA (see page 61) explains that a policy sold in an exchange without embedded pediatric dental coverage can still be a qualified health plan (QHP) as long as there is also a stand-alone pediatric dental plan available in the exchange."

Is pediatric dental coverage included in exchange plans?

More.

"But under the health reform legislation that President Obama signed in 2010, all individual and small group plans effective on or after January 1, 2014 (including plans sold through the exchanges and outside the exchanges) must include coverage for these ten essential health benefits — EHBs — with no annual or lifetime dollar limit:

1. hospitalization
  2. ambulatory services (visits to doctors and other healthcare professionals and outpatient hospital care)
  3. emergency services
  4. maternity and newborn care
  5. services for those suffering from mental health disorders and problems with substance abuse
  6. prescription drugs (including brand-name drugs and specialty drugs; the pre-ACA trend towards generic-only coverage was eliminated by the ACA)
  7. lab tests
  8. chronic disease management, “well” services and preventive services recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (including blood pressure screening, breast cancer screening, colorectal cancer screening, obesity screening and counseling; tobacco use counseling and interventions, and breastfeeding counseling)
  9. pediatric services for children, including dental and vision care (there is some flexibility on the inclusion of pediatric dental if the plan is purchased within the exchange)
  10. rehabilitative and “habilitative” services which include helping a person keep, learn or improve functioning for daily living. (Examples include therapy for a child who isn’t walking or talking at the expected age physical and occupational therapy, help for those experiencing problems with speech, and treatment for individuals suffering from a variety of disabilities.) Although all EHB must be covered without annual or lifetime caps on the dollar amount of the benefits, it’s very common to see plans with caps on the number of visits an enrollee can have for services like physical therapy or occupational therapy."

Obamacare’s essential health benefits
That's enough for me. Fuck universal healthcare.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Right. You can't make too much. I said I was making too little. I was working 2 jobs at the time and still wasn't bringing in the required $1,000 a month. You have to make at least $12,000 a year to be eligible for coverage under the ACA.

I make less than that, and got insurance through Medicaid. Of course, if your state didn't do the Medicaid expansion . . .

I make less than that, and got insurance through Medicaid. Of course, if your state didn't do the Medicaid expansion . . .
I applied for Medicaid and was denied because I'm not disabled, blind, etc, and don't have kids. I was caught in the middle.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I applied for Medicaid and was denied because I'm not disabled, blind, etc, and don't have kids. I was caught in the middle.

I'm not disabled, blind, and don't support any kids. Still have Medicaid.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
BS. If you make less than 12,000 dollars a year, you qualify for medicaid:
As of January 2019, 32 states cover parents and other adults with incomes up to 138% FPL ($29,435 per year for a family of three and $17,236 per year for an individual in 2019) under the ACA Medicaid expansion to low-income adults.
Where Are States Today? Medicaid and CHIP Eligibility Levels for Children, Pregnant Women, and Adults

Reactions: b.c.

BS. If you make less than 12,000 dollars a year, you qualify for medicaid:
As of January 2019, 32 states cover parents and other adults with incomes up to 138% FPL ($29,435 per year for a family of three and $17,236 per year for an individual in 2019) under the ACA Medicaid expansion to low-income adults.
Where Are States Today? Medicaid and CHIP Eligibility Levels for Children, Pregnant Women, and Adults
OK "as of 2019". Don't "BS" me. As I've already said, this happened in 2014. I don't know what it's like now or if it's changed. I'm telling my first hand experience as of 2014.
The democratic party discriminated against me by forcing me to pay for services I would never need as a gay man. End of story.