The Creation Museum, I'm not kidding folks.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Answers in Genesis Creation Museum is a one-of-a-kind, high-tech museum, filled with animatronic displays (e.g., moving dinosaurs), striking videos, a state-of-the-art planetarium, Special Effects Theater, etc., that is spread out over 60,000 square feet incorporating up to 40-foot ceilings to contain some of its massive exhibits. The museum will go beyond telling the compelling story of the creation of life on this planet to proclaiming the Bible as supreme authority in all matters it addresses.

Set to open on May 28, 2007, at its location in northern Kentucky 2 exits west of the Cincinnati Airport, this $27 million “walk through history” museum will counter evolutionary natural history museums that turn minds against Scripture – and Jesus Christ, the Creator of the universe.

As the museum presents its walk through the history of the Bible, visitors will see real dinosaur bones (and a clutch of eggs and other exceptional fossils), view a huge casting of a mastodon, examine a superb mineral collection, take a tour of the universe inside a state-of-the-art 78-seat planetarium, and experience what they would typically find in a first-class natural history museum.

The museum's striking exhibits demonstrate to guests that the Bible is the “true history book of the universe” as they take a time journey through a visual presentation of the “Seven C’s of History” according to Scripture: Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross and Consummation.

ALRC News Kitchen: Creation Museum

Are you wondering what Answers in Genesis Is?

What is Answers in Genesis?

An independent, nonprofit, international ministry organization based in Petersburg. Ken Ham, president of the ministry, developed his ideas in Australia and moved to the U.S. in 1987. After studying a similar ministry in San Diego, he decided to start his own ministry in a more central location which brought him and others to Boone County.

What does the ministry believe?

Those in the Answers in Genesis ministry believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible: that God created the world in six, 24-hour days on a planet just 6,000 years old (according to Biblical genealogies). This interpretation runs counter to accepted scientific theory, which says Earth and its life forms evolved over billions of years. Ham's views of history and science are based on a literal reading of Genesis, the first book of the Old Testament. Some of their beliefs include: that the Grand Canyon was formed not by erosion over millions of years, but by floodwaters (of the Great Flood) in a matter of days or weeks; that dinosaurs and man once co-existed; and that dozens of creatures - including T. rex - were passengers on Noah's Ark.

Statement of faith
Before a person is hired in the Answers in Genesis ministry (or the Creation Museum), he must sign a Statement of Faith. According to the Answers in Genesis Web site (www.answersingenesis.org), the worker agrees that he believes, among other things: that "Scripture teaches a recent origin for man and the whole creation," and "the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman." Other beliefs include: "the great Flood of Genesis was an actual historic event" and "no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record." Temporary workers do not have to sign the Statement of Faith.

The Enquirer - Creation Museum touches lives

That's right, just a few minutes south of Cincinnati is a $27 MILLION dollar project teaching us that dinosaurs and people roamed the Earth together, and that Genesis is to be taken literally!

What these misguided morons fail to accept is that their beliefs are NEW, traditional theologians do not support their view, which has only been in existence for about a hundred fifty years.

If you wonder why I seem angrier than most, please try to consider where I live. If people don't get angry HERE, it could have devastating ripple effects on the rest of the nation. Don't believe me? Look at the 2004 "election".:rolleyes:

Happy trails.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Answers in Genesis Creation Museum is a one-of-a-kind, high-tech museum, filled with animatronic displays (e.g., moving dinosaurs), striking videos, a state-of-the-art planetarium, Special Effects Theater, etc., that is spread out over 60,000 square feet incorporating up to 40-foot ceilings to contain some of its massive exhibits. The museum will go beyond telling the compelling story of the creation of life on this planet to proclaiming the Bible as supreme authority in all matters it addresses.

Set to open on May 28, 2007, at its location in northern Kentucky 2 exits west of the Cincinnati Airport, this $27 million “walk through history” museum will counter evolutionary natural history museums that turn minds against Scripture – and Jesus Christ, the Creator of the universe.

As the museum presents its walk through the history of the Bible, visitors will see real dinosaur bones (and a clutch of eggs and other exceptional fossils), view a huge casting of a mastodon, examine a superb mineral collection, take a tour of the universe inside a state-of-the-art 78-seat planetarium, and experience what they would typically find in a first-class natural history museum.

The museum's striking exhibits demonstrate to guests that the Bible is the “true history book of the universe” as they take a time journey through a visual presentation of the “Seven C’s of History” according to Scripture: Creation, Corruption, Catastrophe, Confusion, Christ, Cross and Consummation.

ALRC News Kitchen: Creation Museum

Are you wondering what Answers in Genesis Is?

What is Answers in Genesis?

An independent, nonprofit, international ministry organization based in Petersburg. Ken Ham, president of the ministry, developed his ideas in Australia and moved to the U.S. in 1987. After studying a similar ministry in San Diego, he decided to start his own ministry in a more central location which brought him and others to Boone County.

What does the ministry believe?

Those in the Answers in Genesis ministry believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible: that God created the world in six, 24-hour days on a planet just 6,000 years old (according to Biblical genealogies). This interpretation runs counter to accepted scientific theory, which says Earth and its life forms evolved over billions of years. Ham's views of history and science are based on a literal reading of Genesis, the first book of the Old Testament. Some of their beliefs include: that the Grand Canyon was formed not by erosion over millions of years, but by floodwaters (of the Great Flood) in a matter of days or weeks; that dinosaurs and man once co-existed; and that dozens of creatures - including T. rex - were passengers on Noah's Ark.

Statement of faith
Before a person is hired in the Answers in Genesis ministry (or the Creation Museum), he must sign a Statement of Faith. According to the Answers in Genesis Web site (www.answersingenesis.org), the worker agrees that he believes, among other things: that "Scripture teaches a recent origin for man and the whole creation," and "the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman." Other beliefs include: "the great Flood of Genesis was an actual historic event" and "no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record." Temporary workers do not have to sign the Statement of Faith.

The Enquirer - Creation Museum touches lives

That's right, just a few minutes south of Cincinnati is a $27 MILLION dollar project teaching us that dinosaurs and people roamed the Earth together, and that Genesis is to be taken literally!

What these misguided morons fail to accept is that their beliefs are NEW, traditional theologians do not support their view, which has only been in existence for about a hundred fifty years.

If you wonder why I seem angrier than most, please try to consider where I live. If people don't get angry HERE, it could have devastating ripple effects on the rest of the nation. Don't believe me? Look at the 2004 "election".:rolleyes:

Happy trails.

I certainly hope it is closed on Sundays. And on ALL of the Saints' feast days.:rolleyes:
I believe that would cover all 364 calendar days.

50%more

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
YECs are a scary bunch. They are intellectually dishonest (they don't place their own belief system under the same rigorous scrutiny that they do for others). They place a higher priority on being certain than they do on gaining knowledge. They also place a higher priority on their desire to have eternal bliss than they do on honesty.

I post on the site theologyonline. One of my interest since I have been a child is behavioral biology. Learning about their motives and behaviors is a part of this interest.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I saw this on the news the other day.

I wonder how Adam had time to feed all of those enormous dinosaurs in the Garden? :rolleyes:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've heard of it. Sounds like a pretty neat-o collection. Imagine that, privately funded propaganda, rather than the usual taxpayer-funded stuff. Most people visiting museums don't read the propaganda, anyway, they just dash through pushing the buttons on the "interactive" exhibits, and if nothing starts moving, they dash on to the next one.

I remember overhearing one little girl standing in front of an exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science (motto, "Millions for new exhibits, not one dime for upkeep!"), throwing a real tantrum about some feature of human evolution, but her argument couldn't progress much past "the Bible says so!" At least she was reading the little placards. That put her 'way ahead of most.

This actually raises the interesting scientific problem of anomalous data. Whatever doesn't fit into the current scientific fad, what Charles Fort called "damned" data, tends to be ignored. Rupert Gould, a Royal Navy hydrographer and far better scientist than Fort, investigated quite a few similar phenomena, and was far too wise a man to draw any conclusions. He wrote a number of very interesting books; certainly not the usual semi-mystical claptrap.

There is a rock stored in the basement of the Museum of Natural History in New York, with a perfect Roman "E" inscribed on it. As the curator of undisplayed objects (little joke there, there's no such office) says, if we know anything at all about geological history and human evolution, and considering the stratum that specimen came from, it can't be artificial. Therefore it can only be an improbable natural formation. This is not very satisfactory, but it's all we have. A museum displaying things which just don't fit in with our general understanding of the world would be interesting, even if the general public would probably find it baffling. (Note that I am not saying that the Creation Museum is such an institution.) An entire shelf in the science library here at Fort Dirigible is devoted to studies of such anomalies.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's the first time I heard that Jesus created the universe. I thought god created the universe quite some time before he raped the virgin mary and begat jesus. You learn something new every day, right?

Oh, and WAAAY off-topic: Zora, I've seen you post more than once that the Golden Rule is not biblical even though many think it is. Am I confusing Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 with something else? I searched for one of those posts to reply this, but couldn't find any of them.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I heard about this on the ABC News just the other night. And, to me, a disturbing poll shows that 60 % of Americans believe in a LITERAL interpretation of Genesis. It wasn't clear to me if the poll said 60 % of Americans also believe in a 6000 year time line.

The study of science has shown that in general, the order of development in the Bible is in harmony with what science has found the order to be.

I will post again later when I get my information together that there is more than one interpretation of Genesis. I have no problem understanding what the purpose of Genesis is and what scientists have found out about the universe.

I have somewhere to go in a few minutes. I will post later.

I don't have any respect for this particular museum as a science museum or a religious museum. It fails miserably at both.

On a side note about the Golden Rule, it is in the Bible for sure, attributed to Jesus. Many other philosophers throughout history who had no knowledge of Jesus or who lived before Jesus said the same thing.

I suspect that this is the confusion. The Golden Rule is not an exclusive Biblical teaching.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's the first time I heard that Jesus created the universe. I thought god created the universe quite some time before he raped the virgin mary and begat jesus. You learn something new every day, right?

Oh, and WAAAY off-topic: Zora, I've seen you post more than once that the Golden Rule is not biblical even though many think it is. Am I confusing Matthew 7:12 and Luke 6:31 with something else? I searched for one of those posts to reply this, but couldn't find any of them.

Yes, and it's a two part mistake on my part. What I should have said is that it's not exclusive to the Bible, nor originated by Jesus. I can't remember now where the earliest appearance of it was, and I'm sorry my statement was misleading, if not outright false.

As for the museum, it opens tomorrow and I think I'm going to go and take some surveys. If I get it together tonight, I might have some interesting (or at least funny) results to report tomorrow night.

Who wants to take bets on how many museum-goers will be able to properly identify Jesus' religion?

edit- I watched a debate this morning between an astrophysicist, a geologist and a theologian this morning about the museum, which I what got me started on this. The first was the only one of the three supporting it, the theologian was actually the one who made the most sound and credible arguments against it. He is a professor of theology at Xavier U- I was glad to see such a man teaching about scripture as it was written, not to be used for whatever whim comes along.

The fucking astrophysicist actually said that Jesus quoted from the Bible, and the theologian had to correct him saying that Jesus couldn't have done so. He referred to the Torah, according to the writers of the Gospels, but there's no actual proof that Jesus could even read and write (although it's my personal opinion that he could).

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Yes, and it's a two part mistake on my part. What I should have said is that it's not exclusive to the Bible, nor originated by Jesus. I can't remember now where the earliest appearance of it was, and I'm sorry my statement was misleading, if not outright false.

Thanks for the clarification. I too wish I remember who all said it. As I recall, Confuscius was the first recorded person and I believe the Buddha also said it. To be fair to all those ancient people, it may not have been new to the world, but apparently it was new to their particular culture.

As for the museum, it opens tomorrow and I think I'm going to go and take some surveys. If I get it together tonight, I might have some interesting (or at least funny) results to report tomorrow night.

Who wants to take bets on how many museum-goers will be able to properly identify Jesus' religion?
Unless you prompt them or the museium prompts them, do that survey without giving away the correct answer, I will predict that the answer will be less than 10 percent.

It will be higher here, but I doubt it will be a majority.

I am pming Jana with the correct answer to see if we agree on the correct answer.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I imagine there are few museums which could be fairly evaluated by a mere survey of the intellectual sophistication of visitors.

Of course not lovey, it was an intentionally disparaging remark on my expectations of the intelligence levels this exhibit will draw, and nothing more. I've already dismissed the museum's value wholesale, having heard the arguments on both sides already. While I won't be entering the exhibit tomorrow because I refuse to contribute $19.99 to their "cause", I'll be outside pestering people until I get thrown out. Wish me luck.:tongue:

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Of course not lovey, it was an intentionally disparaging remark on my expectations of the intelligence levels this exhibit will draw, and nothing more. I've already dismissed the museum's value wholesale, having heard the arguments on both sides already. While I won't be entering the exhibit tomorrow because I refuse to contribute $19.99 to their "cause", I'll be outside pestering people until I get thrown out. Wish me luck.:tongue:

Love it! I could not agree with you more on this. I've heard the Kansas is even worse for this type of "beliefs". These are also the states that want to ban the teaching of evolution from the schools. I heard or read somewhere (that's helpful isn't it?! It certainly wouldn't stand up in court.) that the Kansas board of education could not get one scientist to read the statement about their new science program that pushes creationism before any other theory if they even acknowledge any other theories.

Novaboy

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I read this on Slashdot yesterday, then asked my wife the following question:

Understanding that we fought a nasty war amongst ourselves almost 150 years ago over the right of any State to voluntarily secede from the Union, does the outcome preclude the Union from deliberately ejecting and disavowing any member State on the basis of gross stupidity?

I'm looking your way, Kentucky. Kansas, don't snicker...you're next.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read this on Slashdot yesterday, then asked my wife the following question:

Understanding that we fought a nasty war amongst ourselves almost 150 years ago over the right of any State to voluntarily secede from the Union, does the outcome preclude the Union from deliberately ejecting and disavowing any member State on the basis of gross stupidity?

I'm looking your way, Kentucky. Kansas, don't snicker...you're next.

What you don't understand yet is that because of the hideous loss of jobs in both Ohio and Michigan, we're now both actually worse than Kentucky. The more desperate people get, the more desperately they cling to their religions. I don't blame my statesmen completely, but it would be just swell if a few up them could look up in between their grief and their tears to notice that their once peaceful religion is just not what it used to be.

I'll never be able to express how FUCKING angry I am that Christianity was hijacked by a bunch of suck-ass corporate PIGS while people were stunned stupid. Our own government has insured that we stayed stunned stupid by atrocity and loss. The more horrified and shocked we are, the more susceptible we are to nonsense and lies.

The damage done to our country in this short time will be felt for generations to come, and the promotion of ignorance such as this fucking bullshit "museum" will one day be a very expensive embarassing testimony as to how stupid human beings can really be. I said back in 2004 that this was surely the thing (bush's re-appointment) that would usher in the dark ages again, and that the right to say "I told you so" would be hollow in the ears of the families of the dead. It's still as horrible a thing to say now as it was then. It's still equally true.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder how the Museum will work the placoderm Dunkelosteus (ex-Dinichthys) into its conceptual framework.

Ohio is particularly noteworthy for upper Devonian shales chock-full of fossils of this monster. In fact that's about all I can remember about Ohio. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History has a particularly large specimen. I've been meaning to get out there to see it, but haven't managed yet.