The Cumbria Flood

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I was watching the news earlier and already knew about the flood in Cumbria and did'nt think much of it considering the now regular local floodings occuring over the UK two-three a year that are causing flood damage to homes and businesses but the pictures of this one had me in awe. The stone bridge collapse and the road with the tarmac ripped up and a story of a home where the flooring was pushed up with the rising waters, Its more damaging than at first (or past exp.) you might think.

This flood will be the regions worst on record with the last flood occuring 40 years ago.

And a tragedy too that a police officer died when the bridge collapsed into the river Derwent after he had been turning vehicles away from danger.

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Amazed by it, looked like a whole city is drowning in the sea...
    Amazed how high the water levels are. Poor people, can't imagine that happening here. Everything lost. Hope the government will help them out.

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

A large police operation is being planned for after the weekend when the waters have receded to try and sort the place out. Its overshadowed the similiar flooding in a more southern part of the country where homes have also been breeched with floodwater.

4. superbot

Gold Member

Was there 8 days ago getting my hair cut and doing shopping.There whole of the region was already waterlogged,the flood was,sadly as about inevitable as anything could be! Haven't heard anything about Wordsworths' House,which is in the middle of the high street!?...

5. shyguy1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    More amazingly is that all the water was cleared off the football pitch and todays game against Swindon went ahead.

Carlisle fans probably wish it didnt in hindsight but as a red myself im well chuffed with the win.

When we had the floods down south, alot of my local area was seriously effected by it - so I know what its like.

6. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

1300 homes flooded.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

My prayers are with all those affected. :frown1:

Draft saved Draft deleted