The Dangers of "Fragrance"

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Harvard Gazette: Chemical exposure tied to sperm count

I could write an entire thesis on this subject, but to get a gist of it:
. Phthalates, used to make fragrances last longer, are associated damage to the male reproductive system,
(source: Enviroblog: Ask EWG: What is "fragrance"?)
Fantastic! Another great way to get out of using a condom when meeting a woman. "It's okay beautiful, I just bathed in a tub of Old Spice cologne." (although the cologne would not prevent transmission of STDs)

I don't use colognes myself, and am very easy going with the deodorant and am not fond of scented candles which probably leak those chemicals into the air. For as long as I can remember I have scoured the list of ingredients in all products, this just reminds me to continue doing so.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I try to stay away from scented or colored soap because it makes me itch!! I found this soap that claims to be non-scented and 100% natural, it's called "Pure & Natural"... it does have a scent but it is VERY light and so far it hasn't made me itch. I use Skintimate shave gel for sensitive skin and it smells lightly of baby powder (which I love!).

I love Armani Code (for her - haven't smelled the men's yet) perfume. I'm currently out of it, but want to buy some next time I can talk my mom into stopping at Sephora.

OHHH I DO want to add that I have heard several times that men/boys should stay away from anything LAVENDAR scented because it can cause their hormones to freak out and make them grow man-boobies. Which really sucks because I love lavendar scented dryer sheets... lol my mom won't use them because she doesn't want my little brother to grow boobs. I used them when I was a nanny, I hope little Mack doesn't grow boobies because of it! :p

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The quickest way to trigger a migraine for me is to be exposed to the stench of cologne and perfume. I cannot tolerate it.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...i know that LEX will probably condemn me for this, but some colognes just turn me on more than i can take... especially romance prince will... hehehehehehe

peace out and safety to all :)

I see that your training is not yet complete, young Jedi.

And if you try to hug me after splashing that blue shit all over yourself again, I will hit you in the nipple-piercing (Again)

Love you!

MEAN IT!!

Now THAT is a different story. I like my men smelling like men, not the fragrance counter at Macy's.

Heh. I am SO there. I like men to smell like themselves. A person's natural scent can be very nice. I am not a big fan of the "have not bathed in 2 days" smell but I do like the smell of a man after a shower in the morning and say, mowing the lawn or washing the car?

WOOOF!

alright.......you have to know that when a guy calls me doll, I get HARD

Indy--let's start the SHORT list of things that DON'T turn you on. Then, I think we could all keep up! :tongue:

Draconis71

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
OK, on this topic, I'd say WAAAY too many people here in North America over-scent themselves. I find it can be QUITE offensive (ie: the 60-year-old granny who douses herself in rosewater whom you can smell on the bus from the back, when she's in the front, or the woman you can smell behind you about 20 meters in a crowded office). I understand that some people do get a peculiar odor about themselves if they don't use deoderants.

One little trick I found, without scents, is use a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Disolve as much as you can in hot water... apply with a tissue to underarms, and.. .voila, cheap, unscented effective deoderant.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I discovered that you can kill cockroaches with spray deoderant, so that was the last time I used it.

Still use a roll on, lightly. Unscented and antibacterial.

Some of the powders and perfumes women wear created a nasal hell for me that my nose plugs up and I get slightly nauseated from it. I wonder what it does to people's health and who are so insecure about themselves they can't be without the powder and the artificial smells? Can't be doing the lungs any good.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The quickest way to trigger a migraine for me is to be exposed to the stench of cologne and perfume. I cannot tolerate it.

Ditto!!! Particularly the cheap, strong shit. Just walking past The Body Shop is enough to give me a three day throbbing, behind the eyes headache. Nail polish is the WORST!

Industrial paint doesn't do it to me, but eu de cheapo fragrance is a killer.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Meh, the scent-free movement pisses me off.

I do aromatherapy. I love scents. Yes, I do wear cologne and I get plenty of compliments, so I must be doing it the "right" way.

I'm allergic to deodorant so I use the cologne under my arms. I have no problem wearing cologne, so long as it's good cologne and not the cheap imitation crap.

And I use essential oils to great effect with myself and clients.

Life is a cancer-causing condition. None of us get out of here alive.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
lol

The biological purpose of armpit and pubic hair is to retain and concentrate sexual pheromones. Of course they have to be kept relatively clean or bacteria can make them sour.

Nowadays people go to great lengths to eliminate or mask these natural smells. Oh well.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ditto!!! Particularly the cheap, strong shit. Just walking past The Body Shop is enough to give me a three day throbbing, behind the eyes headache. Nail polish is the WORST!

Industrial paint doesn't do it to me, but eu de cheapo fragrance is a killer.

Nothing gets me crankier any faster than getting (or possibly getting) a migraine.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Now THAT is a different story. I like my men smelling like men, not the fragrance counter at Macy's.

Yes, perfumes and colognes irritate if they contain alcohol. There are body sprays/water which don't bother me because they don't contain alcohol.

Nothing disgusts me more than cigarette smoke.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Meh, the scent-free movement pisses me off.

I do aromatherapy. I love scents. Yes, I do wear cologne and I get plenty of compliments, so I must be doing it the "right" way.

I'm allergic to deodorant so I use the cologne under my arms. I have no problem wearing cologne, so long as it's good cologne and not the cheap imitation crap.

And I use essential oils to great effect with myself and clients.

I love scents, too. It's just that cigarette smoke and alcohol from perfumes/fragrances give me a major headache.

smicha said:
Life is a cancer-causing condition. None of us get out of here alive.

Yes, we are born to die.:biggrin1: