The Dark Knight

B_andyo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
THE GREAT JOKER>>

He did a good job in that movie. Actually, the movie should be called the joker or something...

I like the way he does things, like I don't care... :D

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The comic book Batman should have been left in the comic.

You'll never recreate that on celuloid.

This series of attempts to do so is simply threatening to seriously wreck my comic-book-reading memories.

It will never work (for me).

Give me Adam West as a screen Batman, anyday.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Agreed, that the Joker was impressively disturbing. His "Why so serious" story would change every time he dialoged with a main character. It was his father who did it to him, then his ex-wife, and so on. Glimpses at the tragic humanity inside of his criminal genius.

I liked how he wasn't just a cartoon character, but a real man with a serious mental illness. It was gritty and raw and not at all like the comic book Joker, who was just inexplicably crazy... and quite strange. I think that this Joker got more screen time than Batman, or so it seemed.

Edit to add: The voice Ledger used for the Joker was almost dorky and awkward, reminded me of a high school nerd... slightly nasal. He didn't overuse the famous Joker cackle either. Great details.

He had that strange posture too. I barely recognized him. And the way that he wore the nurse's outfit with no shame... priceless.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The comic book Batman should have been left in the comic.

You'll never recreate that on celuloid.

This series of attempts to do so is simply threatening to seriously wreck my comic-book-reading memories.

It will never work (for me).

Give me Adam West as a screen Batman, anyday.
I really hate adam west sissy Batman series . That Batman series are really disturbing . I really like this new Batman movies .

THEDUDEofDestiny

Experimental Member
Media
I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but I'm leaning more towards Nicholson's Joker from what I've seen. Ledger's Joker seems to show that he's actually trying to be a villain. Nicholson's is a complete sociopath with a dash of dementia, commiting terrorist acts and dressed like Flava Flav and giggling all the while. It really is all a game to him, much more befitting of the name. It pisses you off and you want to do something about it. But short of a bullet to the head, what can you do about somebody who throws exploding toys at you and chuckles? No therapy in the world can fix that; no discipline or thrashing otherwise can do a thing about it.

see the movie

D_Alfredo Hites

Account Disabled
Media
you know how everybody has a favorite movie? this is mine.

words cannot express what this movie means to true batman fans...i saw it for the 3rd time last weekend and it gets better every time i watch it. it is a near perfect movie in my opinion.

christopher nolan seems to see things exactly the way i do when it comes to film making and his style is already starting a new trend in the business. less CGI. thank God. not all of us are ignorant MTV raised fuckheads.

i'm done.

(ok...yes i watch the real world/road rules challenge)

horsehungtim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my only problem was that Bale's voice as Batman was even MORE growly than the first film. I'm not sure if that would make me grimace in public or laugh...

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
(As I've said in similar threads) the most successful comic book super heroes are the ones that renewed themselves and evolved over times. In a way, Batman (or THE Batman) has in that regard come full circle.

When I started reading comic books (in the late 60's) Batman was one of my LEAST favorite comic books. First of all, I hated the artwork of creator Bob Kane. Always had him and little Robin (the boy blunder I used to call it) fighting amidst giant coffee cups and other ridiculous overlarge props. By the time his outfit took on that bat on a yellow backdrop design the series had degenerated into witless tedium (besides which they had a batdog, a batgirl, a batmobile, a batcopter, a bat "something" for every occasion.

Shortly after I had stopped reading the comics they began to evolve into something quite different from what they were. The unsual series started having slick spinoff variations on the original characters, new story lines and subplots developed... from all of this upheaval, experimentation, and renewal came the likes of the harder and grittier Dark Knight series, and I think that evolution and renewal (for the genre) has been a wonderful process.

Comic book super heroes are our modern day myths and legends. That they would live, breath, evolve into present day relevance, and come to life on the screen is a miraculous thing to behold - especially for those of us who read of them so long ago.

I thought the movie was being over hyped prior to seeing it and went in expecting to be disappointed. I wasn't. This movie was a gritty gripping examination of a clash of wills - between one criminally insane and another who, in his quest for justice, is perhaps not playing with a quite full deck either.

If you've never bothered to see a Batman movie ('cause you were living on Pluto or something) you DEFINITELY need to see this one. You'll not forget this Joker.

Last edited:

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I've said it once and I'll say it over and over again, this has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. Best story, best acting, best characters, best filmed. Never have I been in complete awe in any movie, so engrossed in it that I can't blink.

This is in no way a comic book/super hero movie. Everything in this movie has the chance of being 100% real in real life. It just takes someone with enough balls and cash to don a costume and fight crime. That's it, no super powers needed. It is a crime drama up there with the best of them. I believe Roeper or someone said that not since Heat, has there been a crime drama as worthy to stand up to it.

If you haven't seen it, what the hell are you waiting for? Don't take your young kids, it's not for them. This is very grown-up. Even 13 is probably pushing it. It has some very intense scenes, I found myself wincing a bit through it.

I think it has potential to win some oscars, I don't think the nature of it will keep it out of the running. Heath Ledger is so good, and you get so caught up in his acting, that you honestly forget that he is not with us anymore. You definitely feel even more saddened afterwards that he had to leave us so young, but at the same time you are glad that he went out with the greatest performance of his career. First movie I ever saw him in was A Knight's Tale, and that became one of my favorite movies. I think he has strong potential to win the oscar, and I don't even think his death will be a factor. I think the movie as a whole has strong potential to win best picture.

The only real crime I can think of is if they do a comic hero mash-up movie in the future. I think it would be doing a strong dis-service to the integrity of this franchise. No Robins, no nippled suits, no outlandish gadgets. Leave it gritty and raw, leave it old school!

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
see the movie

I have now.
Overall, I liked it, but I still prefer Nicholson's Joker. There were only a handful of occasions where Ledger really fit the name (specifically the hospital scene), and the rest of the time he was just an anarchist criminal mastermind with face paint. But that can be blamed more on the writers than on the actor.

Also, maybe it was just me, but who becomes Two Face was more predictable than some of the people here made it out to be. Maybe knowing that he was going to be in this one helped, but still.

8.5x6

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have now.
Overall, I liked it, but I still prefer Nicholson's Joker. There were only a handful of occasions where Ledger really fit the name (specifically the hospital scene), and the rest of the time he was just an anarchist criminal mastermind with face paint. But that can be blamed more on the writers than on the actor.

Also, maybe it was just me, but who becomes Two Face was more predictable than some of the people here made it out to be. Maybe knowing that he was going to be in this one helped, but still.

You can tell in the theater who was a Batman fan and who wasn't... because as soon as that coin showed up, everyone hissed "Two-Face!!!!" to the person sitting next to them.

Great movie though, I really liked it.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
I was surprised that it is rated 12A... meaning 10 year olds can watch it, because it seems to be very violent at times.

But it was a great film. I think Heath made a good joker. :smile:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
You can tell in the theater who was a Batman fan and who wasn't... because as soon as that coin showed up, everyone hissed "Two-Face!!!!" to the person sitting next to them.

Great movie though, I really liked it.

Fortunately, in the theater I was in, everybody was either stupid or just knew better than to say anything.
I actually didn't even think about the coin until halfway through the movie. It was just the fact that he was the most constantly significant male character aside from Joker, Bruce, Alfred and what's-his-name in the R&D Lab. And I doubt either of those last two would become villains.