The Dark Side of The Nuclear Age

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jakeatolla, Feb 26, 2007.

1. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very disturbing images from ex Soviet Union countries.
    Not for the Meek.

nuclear NIGHTMARES

2. agnslz

Gold Member

Sad and disturbing. I saw something on the History Channel not that long ago about the nuclear incidents at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, and one part stood out to me. They showed footage of the initial cleanup at Chernobyl and said that the cameraman that had filmed it, and many of those cleanup workers, later died. I wonder how they felt doing something like that, knowing that they most likely would die from it? Also, it said that had the wind been blowing in the other direction that day, most of Europe would have been directly affected by the radiation cloud.

3. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:

Most of the Soldiers that were forced to help put out the initial fire
    and clean up the debris died within weeks. Sad indeed.

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Chernobyl and Three Mile Island ought to serve as sobering reminders of the serious consequences of mistakes in the nuclear power business.

5. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

There is no "light side" of the nuclear age.

6. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    I also saw this on history channel a few weeks ago. I thought it was sad about the guy filming it and either not realizing that standing out there in a windbreaker with a camera in nuclear fallout would clearly kill you or just choosing to sacrificing himself for the good of documenting the event. I make movies myself, so whatever the situation with him, I can relate to it.

I looked at the first many slides of those pictures. Definitely disturbing.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

So sad. I have nothing but past experience to guide me, but I'm guessing that the government gave misleading information about the exposure risk to the cameraman and even the cleanup crews.

8. chico8

chico8 New Member

I read an interesting book by an American woman who spent a year in the region of Chernobyl. She was mostly interested in tracking the effect on animal life. What she found astounded her. Bird flocks were so numerous that the sky was dark at time, horses, sheep, wolves, etc, etc, were thriving and prospering.

The Hanford Nuclear Reservation in SE Washington State is similar in regards to wildlife. BECAUSE it's off limits to humans it's turned into a sanctuary.

While I'd hate to see the world reduced to Chernobyls or Hanfords, at least there's hope that life will continue on this planet should mankind kill itself off.

9. Hatched69

Hatched69 Member

Albums:
  10. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its a sad dilema but I think now with the oil problems. Nuclear power is becoming a somewhat viable alternative to oil and hydroelectric power. The bad part is what to do with the waste it makes and how to dispose or reuse it.

Draft saved Draft deleted