The day after 100 people found out about my dick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

rainsfletcher: Well, this has not been such a bad day, really. People are laughing and taking it in stride. I was at Subway just now and asked for a foot-long, and a friend of mine says "wouldn't we all...", and another guy says "Dude, is it true about 9 inches?" Ah, well....No one seems offended or upset at all.

THat's the good part.

My boss is just fuming. He told me he was totally embarrased in front of his peers and his new management. I should mention that I have curly hair that reaches half way down my back, and I have tattoos that cover both arms (and other places, but we'll leave that alone for now). And, I am a software architect consulting on one of the biggest development efforts in one of the largest banks in the country. Which all is to say, software geeks in banks don't look like me, nor do they make people confident in the software.... So, he gets alot of shit about me as it is. He's always very supportive of me, and I do a good job, so people tend to get over my apperance pretty quickly. So, the bottom line is that he tends to get embarrased about me anyway. This was very difficult for him..... Hopefully, it'll blow over quick enough....

2. B_Black11

B_Black11 New Member

As I mentioned to Rainfletcher elsewhere, I had a similar situation happen last year when I was a lurker on this board:

I got a call from my work's IT director asking me if I had just printed something. I said 'no'. For some reason I thought to myself, 'now that's funny' so I went to the HP printer and there on the tray was 20 pages of a thread from LPSG.

I guess I had somehow somewhere pushed the print button without realizing it. I was so embarassed but lucked out because no one was near the printer besides my work's IT guy.

Phew! I am SO SO SO careful if I am on ANY public computer now!!

3. Ineligible

Ineligible Member

In many workplaces something like that could be a sacking offence. :(

4. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

first reaction, funny as all get out
    second reaction, squirmy for you (what with having to deal with peer reactions)
    third reaction, good luck with the job search (j/k)

5. benderten2001

Gold Member

rainsfletcher, If what you've described for us is truly what happened, then your colleagues surrounding you in line at Subway started this embarrassing escapade--unfortunately at your expense of course. If you have been in good standing up to now with your boss; have performed exceptionally well in your job and didn't respond that day at Subway in a way to only further encourage the jibing and the joking over "9-inches".....then, I don't see why your boss would necessarily blame YOU! (Although the banking industry comes across to the public as quite "stuffy" in its demeanor, it is an industry comprised of lots of men, and men respond over inferences to "male topics", pure and simple. Your boss may have been uncomfortable in HIS own "not measuring up" and was quite inadvertently taking out his frustration on being unhappy with you! (But hey, I digressed, here...THAT'S beside the point.) The tone of those guys' remarks occurring in a public place (at lunchtime!) was NOT proper by any business (or other standards) of decorum. That's a fact.

I would have been inclined to pull the boss aside later that same day and just tell him that you too, were grossly embarrassed and very uncomfortable with what happened. By going to your boss and expressing how YOU felt in all this, it would have demonstrated that you do not go out of your way to flaunt your size, or deliberately act inappropriately in public--ESPECIALLY while on the job! You may have been able to rack up another brownie point to your favor and good standing.

It's likely too late to talk to your boss now, though. --So, let it go.
    And, hope that this incident indeed "will pass".

(It probably will.) ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted