The DC Area Sniper

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Martin van Burden, Oct 16, 2002.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I can't help it. The story's too intriguing to pass up in the newspapers, and that's simply because we have ourselves an indiscriminate killer...

2. Max

Max New Member

I can't help this either (this may sound hostile, but it's not meant to be):

The non-Americans here might think a different poll might be more to the point, ie, when is the US going to do something about its gun laws -

This year, next year, sometime ... never?

3. Imported

Gold Member

blak9: They won't catch him (or her) because "president" Bush and his cronies are too focused on Saddam Hussein. In fact, they are so focused that they appear to have forgotten about: bin Laden, Enron executives, Tyco executives, World Com executives, the failing economy, decreasing 401k's, the ever-increasing deficit, etc.
    He is so narrow minded that he cannot even see what is happening to the people in the community that surrounds him. I don't think that Bush will ever get involved in this sniper case unless the sniper targets his father. Hell, they haven't even caught the Atlanta Olympics bomber yet...

Sorry for getting all political...

4. Imported

Gold Member

two_fister: I think they'll catch him, 'cause like most crazy people he wants to get caught. In his sick mind he's doing this to get famous and if he doesn't get caught he doesn't get famous.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My younger son and his friend are partners in a carpentry business they run. They drive a white Chevy Astro van with a ladder rack.

Although we live 100 miles from Fredericksburg, the boys have been stopped by local and state police over a dozen times in the last week, and have been subjected to thorough searches of the van.

He supports their diligence and thanks them for the good job they are doing.

The sniper(s) have begun to make mistakes in their boldness and the police are certainly astute enough to catch even the smallest hint or clue as to their identity.

I think he, or they, simply will be found to be nut case(s). No anti-government conspiracy, no international terrorism, and, above all, no politics.

Just murder.

Pecker

6. jonb

Gold Member

Most likely, in the next year. I remember how long it took for them to find Ms. Levy.

7. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: Well, Thanks to the NRA and the ProGun Lobby, Congress has poo pooed any new law the would require Gun Makers to do a Ballistic Fingerprint of the Guns they make, and to require anyone that owns a Gun to do the same. If a Ballistic Fingerprint law was in effect this so called "Sniper" most likely would have been caught by now.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Gun owner, but I am anti-Gun NUT owner.

Grandpa

8. jonb

Gold Member

OT, gun nuts are usually tiny too.

9. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: Here in America we have a little something called the Constitution. It guarantees our right to bear arms. Period. Fortunately, it is hard to change. Otherwise moments of popular hysteria like the current one would continually erode our civil liberties. Chalk one up for the foresight of the Founding Fathers.

Gun laws do not stop people like this sniper. We already have laws against murdering people. Unfortunately, Mr. Sniper is not a law-abiding citizen. Interestingly, Washington, D.C. has the strictest gun control laws in the nation. The sniper will be stopped when someone puts a bullet through his brain (which will be tough--small target).

Oh, and I bet the sniper has a small penis.

10. Imported

Gold Member

balls: I am sure there is a law in Isreal against strapping a bomb to your body and setting it off on a bus but that doesn't seem to stop it from happening.

11. Imported

Gold Member

NineInchCock_160IQ: This guy is killing people right in my backyard... I live in Centreville, VA. My friend works at the Kohl's right across the street from the Sunoco in Manassas where one of the victims was shot.. and I work at Fairfax Hospital (in Falls Church) which is just down the road from the Home Depot where the latest killing took place. I was there at the time it happened, literally minutes away. I sure do hope they catch the bastard soon.. and then hopefully he'll get a prison cell with someone from this group who will forcibly sodomize him repeatedly until they puncture a lung or at least rupture his colon.

12. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: I quote Mr. Donk "The sniper will be stopped when someone puts a bullet through his brain (which will be tough--small target)."Yes that may be true, and you can damn well believe that his family will sue the law enforcement agency and person who puts the bullet though his brain for denying him his civil rights, and the use of undue force.and heres the kicker, be awarded millions in settlement.

A couple of other points

The Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Total Firearms
    The exact numbers are not known, but it is estimated that between 65 million and 80 million Americans own between 200 million and 225 million firearms. (Source: Department of Justice, National Rifle Association)

Fully Automatic Firearms
    As of 1995 there were over 240,000 machine guns registered with the BATF.  About half are owned by civilians and half by police departments and other governmental agencies.

Since 1934, only one legally owned machinegun has ever been used in crime, and that was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer in 1988.

[source: Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Guns Used in Crime and Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control, by Prof. Gary Kleck, 1997)

I don't own a gun, and the only time I held a gun or fired one was when I was in The Army, with all the guns in this country, I don't feel one damn bit safer in my home, or on the streets.

Grandpa

13. Imported

Gold Member

balls: Having a gun will help you to feel safer in your own home. Maybe you shold get one.

14. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

A silly roommate of a friend of mine wanted to boast his love for the Republicans by toting an empty gun in his back jeans pocket, citing he has the right to carry.

The strange irony is that the cops came to quiet down the party some time later; and for that, maybe it was a smart thing for him to put it away. As wary as officers are on seeing a weapon, I see no hesitation on their parts to react timely.

15. Max

Max New Member

Maybe it was wrong for a Brit to enter this discussion, but I'll brave it once again:

Re what Donk has said about the advantages of the constitutionally guaranteed freedom to bear arms:

Homicides in two capital cities, 1996-1998, average per year, per 100,000 population:

Washigton DC 59.90
    London 2.15

(have to admit the source is the UK Home Office)

Maybe the stats can be distorted and from my memory of Washington these are two very different cities, but it still seems to me that there must be a trade off, no "freedom" comes without a price.

I for one am proud to live in a capital city where even now most of the police bear no arms.

16. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: BALLS: With my luck if I had a Gun, the first time I found I had to use it ( if ever) I'd blow my Big Toe off. There is a difference between a Army M-1 Rifle and a Hand Gun, I'm no Sgt. York from the hills of Tennessee.

DEE:  Your friend was smart to put the Gun away.

Remember the Black Actor (I believe his name was Lee) who was at a party in the Hollywood Hills, the cops were called to quite the party down down, This actor had a fake gun, and was spotted by a cop though a Glass Door, The cop thought he was pointing the gun at him so he drew his gun, and blew the actor away.

Grandpa

17. Imported

Gold Member

Donk: Max, my British friend, to start with, my compliments on your recognition of the distinction between the constitutional right to bear arms and the issue of whether that right is advantageous. Most of our American gun control nuts don't even recognize that distinction and believe they can take away our guns without amending the Constitution. I happen to believe that the right to bear arms is good, advantageous, and necessary. (I seem to recall ol' King George learned a thing or two about what a few Americans can do with some guns.)

Re Washington vs. London: I make no apologies for Washington, D.C. It is a horribly mismanaged city with a corrupt city government, which the citizens are fool enough to keep in power knowing they are corrupt. (Best example is the re-election several years ago of Mayor Marion Barry who had gotten caught smoking crack on video and convicted.) And, I reiterate, Washington, D.C. has the most restrictive gun control laws in America! A general point about guns in the U.S. vs. the UK--Britain is a small island surrounded by water, the U.S. is vast nation with land borders stretching for thousands of miles. All the laws in the world will not keep guns or rabies out of America.

Grandpa, thanks for quoting the Second Amendment. I have read it many times. And, unlike many people, I understand it.

For the record, I have never even owned a gun and have only fired one a few times in my life. But I would defend my Constitution to the death.

Off my soapbox. This topic is getting too heavy for me to go into further. If there are any more responses, I will read them, but not respond further. (Just so you know I'm not ignoring you guys :D)

18. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Donk, interesting posting.

I was just thinking about Switzerland, where you receive a gun when you're 18 and it's taken from you when you're 57. This period is considered military training - that's why, with its professional army and military-trained adult men, Switzerland it's capable of defending itself, maintaining its neutrality.

The weapon - a true monster in metal with explosive bullets - is kept at home above the mantelpiece. A 700 years old symbolical tradition, it seems, that became a state of fact after 1914 (as Switzerland was menaced by Germany with conquest). Every male has to defend the country. The kids see the gun, it's right there, at their reach, fathers use it in trainings every Saturday, BUT the criminality ratio is next to 0. (Only in 2001, in Zuerich, a guy fired some shots in the crowd, but this is one event in 90 years.)

WHY this difference ?

Just wondering.

19. Imported

Gold Member

stlmale: I can't help this either (this may sound hostile and it is meant to) The Amercians here have enough turmoil in their current lives that they do not need additional passive aggressive stabs from Peach Farmers who couldn't change anything about OUR country anyway.

[quote author=Max link=board=99;num=1034747083;start=0#1 date=10/16/02 at 02:04:40]I can't help this either (this may sound hostile, but it's not meant to be):

The non-Americans here might think a different poll might be more to the point, ie, when is the US going to do something about its gun laws -

This year, next year, sometime ... never?[/quote]

20. Imported

Gold Member

drrionelli: DeeBlackthorne suggests that we have "...an indiscriminate killer..."

With all respect, and certainly no antagonism intended (for I have, truly, found your postings to be informative and entertaining, sir), I must question whether the killer's (or killers') victims are, indeed, randomly "selected." The human mind, even in its most wretchedly distressed and disturbed state, is generally incapable of such random thought. If asked to select a number between 1 and 100, most will select a number that holds some intrinsic meaning to one's self, be it a birthdate, an address or some other "favorite."

Thus, surely, the sniper(s) must be aware of the nature of their victim(s) to at least some degree of commonality. That we have not been made aware of this is for the protection of the nature of the investigation and its respective parties involved there with.

As others have noted, the issue here is probably not so much gun laws, but rather, the breaking of those laws by who choose, for reasons whatever, not to abide by them.

Draft saved Draft deleted