the Death of an ex husband

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
so should i wear black to the viewing or wear a suit?

It would depend on your ex-husband's style. Was he into somber or a joyful man? Black is not always the way to be clad. For a viewing and a service, a suit of a darker hue- charcoal gray, or navy blue may be appropriate, or a sportscoat and dress slacks with an understated tie (darker colors-stripes often work, I have a black tie with gold fleur de lis and a red and blue stripe). If he had a favorite color, maybe a shirt of that color or a striped tie with that color in it. Or, just carry a piece of cloth in your pocket of that color, if you feel it might offend some others there; but, might give you an extra connection to him at this time of loss.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
so should i wear black to the viewing or wear a suit?

A suit is usually preferable at such somber occasions to show respect. Although I was raised to only wear black to a memorial service if it is for immediate family or a loved one. In this case I might suggest navy blue or gray or other dark color and you rarely err by dressing on a more conservative side for a memorial service.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am so, so sorry to hear this. It makes my heart hurt.

I've been through this twice, with exes (7 years each) whom I loved incredibly and whom, once I no longer cared whom they were sleeping with, became my closest and best friends. The second one, who had moved away cross-country, came back to live with me and I took care of him for two years until he died.

There are people who won't understand that just because you're no longer together you hurt quite as much as though you were. This is something you need to understand for yourself and not, necessarily, to look outward for validation. I've always been of the mind that once I love someone it never stops; it changes, of course, and I move on. But I've never stopped loving anyone I've ever loved. I wasn't in love with them, but well...

I know you're hurting and I respect you all the more for it. It speaks volumes not only about your relationship with this man but about whom you are as a person. Give in to it; let it go. It's all good.

My heart goes out to you.

Last edited:

Charles Finn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
thanks for you warm thoughts.
yes it was so hard after i moved out i was so angry for a while but Gene always taking the lead forgave me and we were able to build a close friendship.
he will be sadly missed.
the viewing and the funeral was healing and joyful.
it will take more time to heal but yes he is finally at rest.